Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

5 hours ago, Herman22 said:

So this is another game without a recognised striker. I think we will stick with 3/5 at the back but we need more from the full backs so I expect Guilbert and Targett will start. I think I would go with this:

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert                 Drinkwater               Targett

Luiz           Hourihane

Trez                 ElGhazi            Grealish

Nakamba has made 14 more tackles this season than Luiz and Hourihane combined. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Brighton are crap. They are only 3 points above us and we have been largely woeful.

At home they've only lost 3. Only 5 teams have lost less at home. They've been a tough team to play at home since they've been promoted

Edited by Kiwivillan

19 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

At home they've only lost 3. Only 5 teams have lost less at home. They've been a tough team to play at home since they've been promoted

2 wins in 11 

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

we have not lost to them in the last 5 games we have played.  Twice at their ground, Won 1 and drawn 1.

gives us some hope at least...

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/match/dKZ3Hnnt/#h2h;overall

Head-to-head matches: BRIGHTON - ASTON VILLA
19.10.19 PL Aston Villa Brighton 2 : 1
25.09.19 EFL Brighton Aston Villa 1 : 3
07.05.17 CHA Aston Villa Brighton 1 : 1
18.11.16 CHA Brighton Aston Villa 1 : 1
23.01.10 FAC Aston Villa Brighton 3 : 2

11 minutes ago, imavillan said:

we have not lost to them in the last 5 games we have played.  Twice at their ground, Won 1 and drawn 1.

gives us some hope at least...

https://www.flashscore.co.uk/match/dKZ3Hnnt/#h2h;overall

Head-to-head matches: BRIGHTON - ASTON VILLA
19.10.19 PL Aston Villa Brighton 2 : 1
25.09.19 EFL Brighton Aston Villa 1 : 3
07.05.17 CHA Aston Villa Brighton 1 : 1
18.11.16 CHA Brighton Aston Villa 1 : 1
23.01.10 FAC Aston Villa Brighton 3 : 2

I don't count cup games where half their players I've never heard of 

5 minutes ago, imavillan said:

or half of ours that you have 😉

I think you're trying to say we didn't play full strength team in the cup? If so irrelevant. I know roughly what Brighton 11 in PL match will be and it's nothing like the mostly second string team they put out in league cup.

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think you're trying to say we didn't play full strength team in the cup? If so irrelevant. I know roughly what Brighton 11 in PL match will be and it's nothing like the mostly second string team they put out in league cup.

I'm not saying anything, other than we have not lost to them in the last 5 games......

and hopefully that will increase to 6

It doesn't matter what kind of form Brighton are in (their form is actually worse than ours over the last ten games), we need a result, if we don't get one then the fact that they've only lost so many games at home will be of no consolation to me. As I said we're going to have to start winning games where we're not expected to win, we showed can do it against Burnley and need more of those kind of results.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

1 of the games was 2010. 

thats right....

they are nothing to be afraid of.......they are only 3 points above us, in a relegation scrap.

and they'll still be in a relegation fight if they beat us....

3 hours ago, KHV said:

Brighton are crap. They are only 3 points above us and we have been largely woeful.

Not having a centre forward for this game is criminal. 

It should be a game we are targeting 3 points from as they are a relegation candidate

I think we have given away any chance of a win though by not addressing a Wesley replacement in time

I think they will thrash us which given the fact they are not very good is a telling sign

kelly ripa dancing GIF
THATS THE SPIRIT!!!! GO TEAM

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KHV said:

Not having a centre forward for this game is criminal. 

It should be a game we are targeting 3 points from as they are a relegation candidate

I think we have given away any chance of a win though by not addressing a Wesley replacement in time

I think they will thrash us which given the fact they are not very good is a telling sign

So you can only win with a centre forward, they are crap and are going to thrash us, and they are not very good, I have searched around but but can’t find your coaching manual anywhere perhaps you are talking sh*t.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/news/graham-potter-reveals-he-grew-up-following-aston-villa_386494.html?utm_source=twitter_links&utm_medium=SMAstonVilla&utm_campaign=twitter

Brighton boss Graham Potter is hoping to earn the cold shoulder from his friends by leading his side to victory over Aston Villa on Saturday.

The Solihull-born 44-year-old may have started his career at Birmingham, but he started out as a Villa fan, along with many of his friends.

Brighton currently sit 14th in the table but are only three points clear of Dean Smith's Villa, who occupy the final relegation spot.

But Potter refused to label Villa's trip to the Amex Stadium as a 'six-pointer' despite the poor form of both sides heading into the Premier League clash on the south coast, even if he is ready to get the silent treatment from his pals.

"Most of my friends are Villa fans. So they're not my friends at the moment – at least for this weekend," he said.

"The first team I actually started to get interested in was the Aston Villa side that won the European Cup.

"Most supporters will tell you, 'hang on, you can't be Birmingham and Aston Villa, you've got to be one or the other', but I think I pretty much was – I have to be diplomatic as I'm from Birmingham."

Potter explained that a chance meeting with a pair of Villa's 1982 European Cup winners steered him towards the club during his formative years.

"This is a story that shows how times have changed, because the European Cup winners brought the European Cup to my dad's working men's club," he said.

"And there's a photo at home of my brother actually sat in the cup.

"I think Ken McNaught and Peter Withe came to the Shirley British Legion! I don't think you'd get that these days, would you?

"After that I was interested in Aston Villa. They had players like Gary Shaw and Tony Morley.

"Then, as I got older, I started playing for Birmingham City, went to their centre of excellence and ended up having an affinity for them too."

With one win from their past seven Premier League games, taking three points against Villa could prove significant in helping secure Brighton's top-flight status for another year.

"We know we have to attack and defend well," Potter added.

"They've moved to a back five recently and that can mean it's sometimes tough to create chances.

"They have good players and when you lose the ball they can hurt you, that's just the nature of the Premier League, and so we have to be on our game to get a result.

"It's been nice to have a full week of training after a busy Christmas period and we've had a lot of time for prepare for the game, so we feel good in that respect."

55 minutes ago, smg said:

So you can only win with a centre forward, they are crap and are going to thrash us, and they are not very good, I have searched around but but can’t find your coaching manual anywhere perhaps you are talking sh*t.

We can’t defend at all 

The only times when we look okay is going forward. We have no forward and no focal point

Man City are a better team but that was one of the most embarrassing inept performances at Villa Park I have seen in over 30 years

A complete shambles all over the park, it’s going to be another shambles

Brighton are crap, we are beyond that at present

Last weekend was totally clueless and Smith will sleepwalk into the same problems again

• Sad 1

I'd play go pragmatic and play 4-4-1-1 or a 4-5-1. Taking a leaf out of MON and Pulis's book I'd play a center at full back - so Hause at left back.

Reina

Fred        Konsa Mings         Hause

Elmo       Marv  Drinkwater  Trez

Jack

El Ghazi

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

I am worried about these.

They were taking us to the cleaners at vp before they had their best midfielder sent off, and we had our best team out.

This will be a very hard game!

True, but only thing I would say to this is that it wasn't a freak incident that got their best midfielder sent off. They'd been kicking Grealish and McGinn all over the park, and they overcooked it. It was a very well deserved red card that reflected the way they had been playing.

4.43am, can't sleep, worrying about this latest ordeal instead. :s I tried to get a ticket for this match but the allocation was just for season ticket holders or fans who went to away games last season, which I totally understand, fair enough. I'll just have to go to a home game instead, Sheffield United next month. 

This is absolutely a must not lose. Lose and 6 points becomes a huge gap to overcome. Win and it could really hurt their confidence and send them into nosedive. A draw would not be the end of the World but as others have said we really need to start winning tight games. 
I think the quality of the players for each team are similar. Obviously they will have home advantage but that can easily work against you if things start to go awry. I do think that their coach is a bit smarter than ours and he may well out fox Deano tactically.

On a knife edge this one. I would expect a response from our players after a truly unacceptable performance against City. So difficult to call and therefore I am going 1-1. Not a bad result, particularly if we then go on and beat Watford.