Pre-Match Thread

wilko154

Think the key here is if Mooy is still injured. He completely dominated the play at VP until he got sent off. Missed their game at Everton. Thier other midfielders like Bissouma, Propper and of course Dale Stephens more pressing or physical midfielders so would be more of a battle.

Flipping between similar battling 1-1 to Leicester or 2-1 defeat. Depends on if we actually sign anyone decent this week which looks unlikely as I type.

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think it's possible to win if Taylor starts.

We won a game less than two weeks ago with him in the team. I'd imagine though Targett will come back in to freshen the 11 up a bit, certainly Gulibert is an obvious selection on the other flank aswell. Perhaps a recall for Engels aswell.

I'd personally be more than happy with a point from this. And also a draw v in form Watford wouldn't be the end of the world either. Bournemouth is the fixture where things will start looking pretty tough if we can't get three points from imo.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We won a game less than two weeks ago with him in the team. I'd imagine though Targett will come back in to freshen the 11 up a bit, certainly Gulibert is an obvious selection on the other flank aswell. Perhaps a recall for Engels aswell.

I'd personally be more than happy with a point from this. And also a draw v in form Watford wouldn't be the end of the world either. Bournemouth is the fixture where things will start looking pretty tough if we can't get three points from imo.

Brighton play much more football than Burnley and their forwards of Trossard, Maupay, Connolley, Jahanbacantspellhisname, Alzate will all run rings round him as he backs off and points at other players to come and tackle them.

I'd take a point as well. Minimum of 5 from the next 3.

Not an impossible game to win but seems very unlikely.

We'll defend better with Taylor but attack better with Targett, good luck with that one Dean.

We need to get out of this 10 men behind the ball mentality though because we'll struggle to win any games playing like that.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Id set up the same way as Burnley and try hit on the break. It worked well against Leicester too. It ain’t pretty but it’s the only way we are going to get results away from home. We can’t abandon it just because it didn’t work against one of the best team around. 

• Like 3

I would be tempted to put Hause in at left wingback. Not that I believe he would be any good there, but he would be better than Taylor (obviously) and he just always has a mistake in him and the further away from our box when that happens the better

This game is winnable but tough to predict?  They drew with Chelsea at home recently and lost of course to Everton last weekend. Hopefully, we carry no hangover from the City game.  

Personnel wise, we probably won’t sign a striker in time to start the game. So I’d go with AEG and Trez up top, in the hope that they can provide pace on the break, run the channels and play off Grealish. Kodjia could come in, but I have a feeling Smith just doesn’t fancy him, so he won’t start.  I also he’ll be off in this window if we secure two forward players.

Targett if fit has to play ahead of Taylor, especially if we persist with 3 CB’s. I’d also go Konsa and Hause ahead of Engels or Chester. Purely because Trossard and Maupay have pace to hurt us and don’t believe that suits Engels or Chester.  I want Mings to scare the life out of Maupay within the first ten minutes and have him in his pocket for the rest of the game.  Drinkwater and Nakamba should be able to contain the treat of Mooy.

Reina

Konsa      Mings      Hause

Guilbert         Nakamba  Drinkwater        Targett

Grealish

Trez          El Ghazi

I wouldn’t play drinkwater he was miles off match fitness last week.  If we have N’Zonzi by then he would go straight in the middle.

I would go;

Reina

Konsa       Mings      Hause

Guilbert                                             Targett

Hourihane    N’Zonzi(?)

El Ghazi              Grealish             Trez

Unless we have a striker by then, in which case they would go straight in.

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I'm surprised so many are including Kortney 'shoebox feet' Hause over Engels. I know Smith likes a left and right footer, but is that more important than having a player with much, much more ability?

I'd play a back three of: -- Konsa -- Mings -- Engels

Or, if Smith is dead-set on having left/right footers in the right place: -- Konsa -- Engels -- Mings

- - - - - - - - - - - - - Reina - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - Konsa - - - - Engels - - - - Mings - - - - - - 

Guilbert - Drinkwater - Nakamba - Targett

- - - - - - Trezeguet - - - Grealish - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - El Ghazi - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

That would be my team, with our current options.

Nakamba and Drinkwater over Luiz/ Conor.

Attacking fullbacks over the two old fellas.

El Ghazi over Indiana Vaseline.

3-0 Villa

fun dancing GIF

i'd agree with that lineup but swapping trez for ghaz

• Like 1

This is the first of three games, that may well decide our PL future, or lack of it! Since last weekend's debacle, we have signed a keeper that we can rely on, assuming that he has retained much of the ability and confidence that he previously had. Turning to the other end of the field, as yet we have still not found anyone to lead our attack. In Dunk and Webster, our hosts have two central defenders, that would prove difficult for most strikers to get the best of. However, how will they cope with our invisible target man? 

A win would take us level on points with Brighton and would be likely to lift us out of the bottom three. A point would keep us in touch with the four clubs that are just above us and might keep us above Bournemouth. Our last league victory at Brighton came in 1981. We won there earlier this season in the EFL Cup and drew there in 2016. Brighton have not beaten us since 1980, although we have only played them 9 times since then. Overall, we have won 10 and have drawn 6 of the 19 league games, that there have been between the two clubs. Another win, or at the very worst avoiding defeat on Saturday at their American Express Community Stadium, would do nicely - Just do it for us Villa! 

Or do we need the winter weather to cause the postponement of our next two league fixtures, until we have completed our transfer window business?

Image result for aston villa snow meme              image.jpeg.97eb0638279bf7fa2780e96148d88bb8.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I'm surprised so many are including Kortney 'shoebox feet' Hause over Engels. I know Smith likes a left and right footer, but is that more important than having a player with much, much more ability?

Or, if Smith is dead-set on having left/right footers in the right place: -- Konsa -- Engels -- Mings

Guilbert - Drinkwater - Nakamba Targett

3-0 Villa

That team is alright, but I'd switch Trez and El Ghazi. And Mings definitely in the middle. 

55 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks, I’d get Hepburn-Murphy back and play him then

Shame about Davis because he is decent at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, something we're clearly lacking without Wes. 

I'm not too sure RHM would offer much more than El Ghazi to be honest, having said that at least it would allow us to play Anwar in his correct position.

Really disappointing not to have any reinforcements in. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I wouldn’t play drinkwater he was miles off match fitness last week.  If we have N’Zonzi by then he would go straight in the middle.

I would go;

Reina

Konsa       Mings      Hause

Guilbert                                             Targett

Hourihane    N’Zonzi(?)

El Ghazi              Grealish             Trez

Unless we have a striker by then, in which case they would go straight in.

We would get destroyed in the middle with Hourihane in that formation. Made 9 tackles out of 17 attempted all season. In comparison Nakamba has made 42 out of 71 attempted 

• Like 2

On 13/01/2020 at 11:44, BOF said:

I'm hoping and expecting that we'll be able to put round pegs in round holes for this one.  It's bad enough not having a striker, but to take good players from their preferred positions thus effectively weakening 2 positions at once, is too much for us to cope with.

I would take a draw here but we obviously need to win.

My Sentiments too.

On 15/01/2020 at 11:06, Rob182 said:

Guilbert - Drinkwater - Nakamba - Targett

3-0 Villa

fun dancing GIF

Last few times I have seen Engles, he has been passive and characterless a shadow of the player in the early part of the season.....I think right now Hause is more dominant.( particularly in the air)

I have a vivid memory of that concede goal at the back post Brighton scored, we was bullied in to that.

sure he struggled against Man City with his ball control....but they all did.

Edited by TRO