The Royal Family

Genie

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, we're a minority, albeit a sizeable one. I'm quite sure a referendum would overwhelmingly support keeping things as they are. 

My guess is such a referendum would be 70-30 in favour of keeping them. That’s assuming it’s done at a more neutral time, eg not being held after a royal wedding, or a royal funeral, equally no allegations against certain family members. I think a few who aren’t particularly pro republic might vote to remove them just for the hell of it, see what happens type mentality.

I’d be interested in a more nuanced poll(s), how many castles should they own/be made permanently available to visitors, should they pay inheritance tax…that sort of thing.

My hunch is that while the majority of the public would be ok with them remaining in place, a large(ish) proportion of those would like to see some changes. My parents for instance, who are reasonably traditional minded, I suspect might be inclined to vote for a more scaled back version - whatever that would be in practice.

I think it’s all academic though. I doubt a referendum would ever happen, let alone one going into more finer details.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

I assume this was Eton versus whoever it was.

Good luck with that, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t illegal to play a friendly last weekend. Frowned upon maybe as official game were cancelled.

Edit: It’s not Eton, I should have read the story first. Which does beg the question, what about that elite school, will they also be dealt with in the strongest possible way? Nope, me neither.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

i think the clue was where Sky referred to two teams in Sheffield  :P 

I drew all my conclusions from the title before reading the sub-title and actual story afterwards :lol: 

Theres a lesson in there I think.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, El Zen said:

The dictatorship of the proletariate? 🤷‍♂️

Every time they've tried that it's worked out badly. I'm all for the dictatorship of the Guardian reading yogurt knitters. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Every time they've tried that it's worked out badly. I'm all for the dictatorship of the Guardian reading yogurt knitters. 

I believe that was in one of Marx’ early drafts. 

(I can’t touch upon this subject without saying it: The dictatorship of the proletariate is maybe the most misunderstood concept in political philosophy.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Good luck with that, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t illegal to play a friendly last weekend. Frowned upon maybe as official game were cancelled.

It's the local FA that want to throw the book at them, so criminal law is neither here nor there. It certainly wasn't illegal, but they'll use some "bringing the game into disrepute" BS to punish them for not obeying the nationwide forelock tugging.

Should have done some noncing while they were at it to get into royal favour.

Edited by Davkaus

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Heathrow have cancelled around 100 flights on Monday to reduce the noise for the funeral

Just leave that example of national insanity with you to mull over.

They know Londoners would try to escape. Next they'll shut the channel tunnel

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Heathrow have cancelled around 100 flights on Monday to reduce the noise for the funeral

Just leave that example of national insanity with you to mull over.

They better f***ing not - we're meant to be flying out of Heathrow on Monday! Was planning to be blissfully in the air for the whole funeral!

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It’s not Eton, I should have read the story first. Which does beg the question, what about that elite school, will they also be dealt with in the strongest possible way? Nope, me neither.

There is this version

These trial games formed part of the school’s pre-season training programme and it was understood that they were not covered by the FA postponement as they were not FA fixtures.”

The Telegraph has been told that the FA, the Independent Schools Football Association and the English Schools’ Football Association have no jurisdiction over such matches.

or this version ,

“It’s the latest example of how the privileged have complete disregard for the rules we’re all supposed to follow.” 

Which version you accept is  based on whether a bath is something your butler runs for  or something you keep coal in 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m expecting police to be patrolling local parks asking people why they think it’s ok to enjoy themselves and not watch the funeral.

Now that you say it, it does feel like some companies have mistaken a funeral with a national lockdown.

Out for my daily exercise, officer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

It does make me think reading VT on this subject is much like VT on topic views v when you actually go to Villa Park.  You'd think the abolishion of The Monarchy is almost an inevitably reading through here then you get into the actual world and everyone seems quite keen on them. 

I can't understand the hatred and piss taking on here, hardly anyone I have spoken to thinks this way. It's funny, say a black mans black and you'll get ripped a new one on VT, but it's a free for all slagging mourners of the queen and the monarchy no problem.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

They better f***ing not - we're meant to be flying out of Heathrow on Monday! Was planning to be blissfully in the air for the whole funeral!

Thankfully it’s only a few flights with Virgin and we aren’t one of them. All inessential shops are closed though (pub is open thankfully).

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I can't understand the hatred and piss taking on here, hardly anyone I have spoken to thinks this way. It's funny, say a black mans black and you'll get ripped a new one on VT, but it's a free for all slagging mourners of the queen and the monarchy no problem.

never under estimated the intolerance of the tolerant left  :) 

but you must be able to see the difference between racism and what is a media driven public grief  frenzy over a dead monarch  ( I say that as someone who likes the monarchy  ) , surely ? 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Mrs Lifeboats didn't react well to the news to Sunday Evening's HOUR of silence to remember the Queen. 

But I have said that its a 1000 year old tradition and its important we continue it.  

I wonder how long it will take her to realise..............

11 hours 45 minutes

Â