The Royal Family

Genie

Just now, ml1dch said:

Then it is leaking. Broadcast media have protocols they need to follow, so you're not going to have a talking-head on Sky News pipe up with "I've actually just been told by someone that she's karked it". 

true enough   ... just seems to go against the protocol to notify MP's during a sitting 

The official process, known as Operation London Bridge, will see The Queen’s private secretary Sir Edward Young, notify the prime minister.

Just now, tonyh29 said:

true enough   ... just seems to go against the protocol to notify MP's during a sitting 

I guess they wouldn't really have a choice if they're in the middle of a fairly raucous session (as they were). Every MP is going to be sitting reading Twitter while the other side are talking, so it's going to be found out. 

I suppose the only way to solve it would be to delay the announcement that they made so they could tell Truss quietly afterwards. But then if the Queen has just died, they're probably not going to think that not interrupting Truss talking about energy policy is more important. 

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I guess they wouldn't really have a choice if they're in the middle of a fairly raucous session (as they were). Every MP is going to be sitting reading Twitter while the other side are talking, so it's going to be found out. 

I suppose the only way to solve it would be to delay the announcement that they made so they could tell Truss quietly afterwards. But then if the Queen has just died, they're probably not going to think that not interrupting Truss talking about energy policy is more important. 

again true enough  , but MPs' going off and  coming back seems against procedure as well  .. for a protocol that's been in place since 1960 , it just seems a bit weird to then abandon  it in favour of an informal note and continuing parliament

How will the government respond?

The UK parliament will adjourn, as will devolved legislatures in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

The prime minister will subsequently make a statement; no other members of the UK government will be permitted to make any kind of statement until after this.

They will then have an audience with the new monarch, King Charles.

MPs will offer tributes to the Queen in the House of Commons the day after the Queen’s death. Parliamentary business will be suspended for 10 days.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

again true enough  , but MPs' going off and  coming back seems against procedure as well  .. for a protocol that's been in place since 1960 , it just seems a bit weird to then abandon  it in favour of an informal note and continuing parliament

I wonder if the new King can shorten the 10 days if he wishes given the ongoing issues.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Operation Unicorn, shes n Balmoral

Same difference. The BBC currently is like the crowd at a funeral. The protocol is in motion. Just with the amendment for her having carked it in Scotland.

• Like 2

Â