Pre match thread

roonst83

Just now, pete101 said:

Pre season we played Jota very close to Wesley and was very affective , wouldn't be surprised if this is a diamond with similar tactic today

Yeah, both Jota and Grealish are likely to move inwards rather than stray wide. Neither are traditional wingers but rather wide playmakers.

Hopefully they will make us be able to keep the ball more in positions higher up the pitch.

Guess that will be the plan anyway.

Hourihane back in which is a no brainer but playing Wesley again defies belief. Kodjia would work Watford's back line more and give Grealish & Jota more to hit.

Just can't understand Smith's trust in Wesley but I don't see what he does in training every week. I just hope Wesley repays the manager's faith in him today. It's about time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me we'd  have lost this with the Norwich line up regardless so at least there is now a bit of an unknown element to it, may well still lose of course but the ElGhazi / Trez thing has failed far too many times away from home for my liking & it's kind of good to see us at least try something else. On top of that of course if they come on late in the game they will be fresh & maybe a bit more focused having been dropped which may just give us the push we need to get a result.

Who knows but at least it'll be more interesting than seeing the usual away day car crash (Man U & Norwich aside)

Changes were needed but not sure I'd have persisted with Wesley. If I did, I'd have gone with Grealish in the middle still and put Kodjia out wide left to add another dimension to our attacking threat. Jota is quite slow so maybe we could have gone with Elmo there and Guilbert at right back? 

1 minute ago, skell said:

It's a good point but can we afford to drop el ghazi and trez at the same time. With them and guibert on the bench we have no pace

El Ghazi in for Jota, and I'd be fine with the selection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Changes were needed but not sure I'd have persisted with Wesley. If I did, I'd have gone with Grealish in the middle still and put Kodjia out wide left to add another dimension to our attacking threat. Jota is quite slow so maybe we could have gone with Elmo there and Guilbert at right back? 

Good points 👍