Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

8 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Here in Leeds, there used to be two major bakery chains - Ainsleys and Thurstons, of which Ainsleys was massively the superior option, Thurstons the cheap and nasty. Thurstons became Greggs (the products remaining identical). Ainsleys went bust and disappeared. I still mourn them. 

Same happened here with a local chain called Satterthwaites but they resurected themselves. Sadly their outlets are limited and nowhere near work yet.

9 hours ago, Xann said:

There is also now a vegan steak bake.

Had it yesterday.

Much like the sausage roll, it tasted exactly the **** same as the non-vegan version. Only noticeable difference was (again like the sausage roll) a distinct lack of grease, and it obviously didn't have the texture of proper steak pieces.

Tastewise it was lovely

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Greggs have pastas and salads, soups, wraps, sandwiches bacon rolls and even fruit.

You can eat well at great prices at Greggs.

their sandwiches aren't good enough to compete with the supermarkets meal deals mainly because their baguettes are low quality rock hard things but yeah greggs are ok, they obviously have the better hot food, the festive bake is incredible, the specials like the fajita or katsu are ok too failing that its a cheese and bean melt for me ( sausage rolls are shit in general not just at greggs)

from memory its about £5.60 for a Mexican chicken sandwich, cheese and bean melt, bottle of coke and an apple Danish, that's a great dinner (and why I was fat...)

the equivalent in germany (of which there are loads, that type of shop is huge here) would be around £11 but slightly better quality on the sweet pastry 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Had it yesterday.

Much like the sausage roll, it tasted exactly the **** same as the non-vegan version. Only noticeable difference was (again like the sausage roll) a distinct lack of grease, and it obviously didn't have the texture of proper steak pieces.

Tastewise it was lovely

Says the vegan.

I’ll wager I wouldn’t post the same review.

Perspective.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

Says the vegan.

I’ll wager I wouldn’t post the same review.

Perspective.

I'm not vegan :thumb: 

I'd wager if nobody told you what you were eating you wouldn't even notice

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

strangely I think that's the marketing angle that some of these companies are going for, much like the pepsi vs coke challenge, I want to try the incredible burger from burger king for example

greggs sausage rolls / steak bakes I don't eat enough of anyway to be fussed over what the difference is

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

strangely I think that's the marketing angle that some of these companies are going for, much like the pepsi vs coke challenge, I want to try the incredible burger from burger king for example

greggs sausage rolls / steak bakes I don't eat enough of anyway to be fussed over what the difference is

Exactly, but I don't think it's that strange.

You can now eat one of our products without having to eat animals. Sold.

A couple of meat eaters from my office tried it for lunch yesterday and enjoyed having a steak bake with guaranteed 0 gristle, so it's certainly winning over some people who'd otherwise go for the meat option.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly, but I don't think it's that strange.

they're using a vegan option to increase sales across the board via the debate such as this one on social media, the meat one will go up in sales too make no doubt about it, people will see what the fuss is about

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ll bet I would but accept I may be wrong.

I think vegans / vegetarians are desperate for things like sausage rolls and steak bakes to taste the same in veggie form as they know, deep down that through their ethical choice they’re depriving themselves of something really nice.

It’s a bit like when your Mum comes home with panda pop and you try to convince yourself it tastes just like normal coke but it nothing like that.

But maybe I’m making wrong assumptions, thankfully I’ll never need to find out because if I want a steak bake, I’ll just buy one instead of seeking something mildly resembling it.

I’ll bet I would but accept I may be wrong.

Try it and find out

I think vegans / vegetarians are desperate for things like sausage rolls and steak bakes to taste the same in veggie form as they know, deep down that through their ethical choice they’re depriving themselves of something really nice.

Nah. I don't think they care. Some meat substitutes or imitations are vile. Some are average. Some are amazing.

Sometimes meat is **** lovely. Sometimes it can't be replicated anywhere close. Sometimes it can.

The Greggs offerings amongst the better ones. I'd rank them just below Quorn Crispy ["chicken"] nuggets in stuff that you can't tell the difference with

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Had it yesterday.

Tastewise it was lovely

No Greggs here, I can't wait to try it 😍

• Like 1

Â