Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It hasn't aged very well, especially the first few seasons. But it is still miles ahead of Friends, whose popularity I never understood.

I find myself watching episodes on a weekly basis and it never fails to entertain. It probably wouldn't get made these days and if it was made it would be changed completely. The Contest remains one of the greatest pieces of television ever created. 

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hipster restaurants / bars, feel cold, look like they are still being refurbished and the food is overpriced and average.  

I have a feeling this will be an unpopular opinion on VT.

Nope, on this one I agree with you. 

• Like 2

Why is it okay to criticise someone for displaying wealth in public (perhaps ‘waving’ a valuable phone or watch around or having an easily accessible wallet or purse) as “asking to be mugged”,  but not okay to suggest dressing more appropriately may reduce the risk of unwanted attention or even assault? Putting it another way, if someone ‘has the right’ to dress how they want without criticism and fear, why does that not extend to being able to have items of value on one’s person in public?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hipster restaurants / bars, feel cold, look like they are still being refurbished and the food is overpriced and average.  

I have a feeling this will be an unpopular opinion on VT.

Nope, I like my food served on plates not old boots fished out of a skip

And the plates should be circular and plain white if possible

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, brommy said:

Why is it okay to criticise someone for displaying wealth in public (perhaps ‘waving’ a valuable phone or watch around or having an easily accessible wallet or purse) as “asking to be mugged”,  but not okay to suggest dressing more appropriately may reduce the risk of unwanted attention or even assault? Putting it another way, if someone ‘has the right’ to dress how they want without criticism and fear, why does that not extend to being able to have items of value on one’s person in public?

Exactly. Same with all those boys raped by clergy. They really shouldn’t have been wearing those saucy little chorister dresses.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

• British people generally are mean-spirited and miserable and often genuinely unpleasant to be around

I think location plays a part. People in cities tend to be a lot more miserable than the countryside I find. I've spent a bit of time on holiday in the UK this year, some in some quite rural spots and vast majority of people are really friendly. Go to London or Brum and its different. 

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think location plays a part. People in cities tend to be a lot more miserable than the countryside I find. I've spent a bit of time on holiday in the UK this year, some in some quite rural spots and vast majority of people are really friendly. Go to London or Brum and its different. 

I’ve always found further North you go the friendlier the people are. 

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve always found further North you go the friendlier the people are. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Almost. Further away from London, I think.

In my job I deal with clients and businesses from all over the UK. The most difficult and rudest ones are always from London or the South East (Essex or Kent). 

Friendliest in general are the North West - Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside. 

Black Country folk are friendlier than Brummies. 

• Like 2

On 26/12/2019 at 09:48, sharkyvilla said:

I've mentioned this a few times but I reckon repeated/career criminals should get their hands chopped off.

I think the logic for this sentence is that theft is committed with the hands, therefore removing them prevents future offences.

Just wondering, what is your take on crimes relying more on the mind, say, fraud?

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

In my job I deal with clients and businesses from all over the UK. The most difficult and rudest ones are always from London or the South East (Essex or Kent). 

Friendliest in general are the North West - Lancashire, Greater Manchester and Merseyside. 

My wife's from Devon, has lived in London and (obviously) Yorkshire, and she is a flag-waver for Brummies being far and away the friendliest people she's met. 

35 minutes ago, kwoktolai said:

Arm tattoos that covers the whole length,  they are for wimps and endorsed by the likes of Beckham and Neymar

Oh, another one for me, here. Maybe one for the 'Things you don't get' thread, but I hate tattoos. Both my daughters have them, and it makes me want to cry. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I might find it tolerable . Sounds more like Thai food, which I marginally prefer to Indian. 

We've talked about this before, but it's not just the 'heat', as I quite like chilli/Mexican food. Must be the other spices (garam masala?). I could never, ever visit the Indian subcontinent, for food reasons alone (although the climate would be another issue). I think I'm spiritually Scandinavian. 

Garam masala maybe but that's a mixture of many other spices. I make my own.

The heat spices are obviously the ones that disagree with you, and they are chilli, ginger, black pepper. And maybe mustard seed. That's it I think.

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

I remember when I worked in a call centre years ago, it was always a relief when the accent wasn’t southern. If it was I knew I was most likely in for a difficult time. 

• Like 1

Â