Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

13 minutes ago, peterms said:

I think the logic for this sentence is that theft is committed with the hands, therefore removing them prevents future offences.

Just wondering, what is your take on crimes relying more on the mind, say, fraud?

Chopping their hands off still makes it hard for them to wipe their arse and to complete other tasks, so still a decent enough deterrent imo.  Also, if someone turns up on your doorstep trying to scam you and they've got no hands, you'll probably suspect that they're dodgy as **** and been convicted of something previously.  One of the few things I reckon the Saudis have it right on tbh.

26 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Chopping their hands off still makes it hard for them to wipe their arse and to complete other tasks, so still a decent enough deterrent imo.  Also, if someone turns up on your doorstep trying to scam you and they've got no hands, you'll probably suspect that they're dodgy as **** and been convicted of something previously.  One of the few things I reckon the Saudis have it right on tbh.

Could maybe just lob off a specific finger to mark them as a convicted fraudster.

54 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was thinking more that the idea behind this bizarre punishment is that the hand is the agent of theft, and the mind is the agent of fraud, therefore an equivalent punishment for eg banksters would be decapitation.

Isn't that how it works?

8 minutes ago, peterms said:

I was thinking more that the idea behind this bizarre punishment is that the hand is the agent of theft, and the mind is the agent of fraud, therefore an equivalent punishment for eg banksters would be decapitation.

Isn't that how it works?

That would be barbaric.

13 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Garam masala maybe but that's a mixture of many other spices. I make my own.

The heat spices are obviously the ones that disagree with you, and they are chilli, ginger, black pepper. And maybe mustard seed. That's it I think.

Yeah, but separately, I like those things. Chilli, great. Ginger, absolutely love it. Black pepper's a bit 'meh' (I prefer white). Mustard's fine. 

Â