Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

I've tried the vegan sausage roll and it tastes the same because the meat in the real sausage rolls isn't good meat. 

It's the seasoning which gives it any flavour, and the seasoning in the vegan roll is exactly the same.  Even a slightly nicer consistency, because the vegan roll holds itself much better than the meat version, which is mostly fatty, thus looser. 

I'm not a veggie either.  sometimes you just have to admit veggie stuff is nicer, like ham salad or goats cheese/onion salad.  Only one winner. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I've tried the vegan sausage roll and it tastes the same because the meat in the real sausage rolls isn't good meat. 

It's the seasoning which gives it any flavour, and the seasoning in the vegan roll is exactly the same.  Even a slightly nicer consistency, because the vegan roll holds itself much better than the meat version, which is mostly fatty, thus looser. 

I'm not a veggie either.  sometimes you just have to admit veggie stuff is nicer, like ham salad or goats cheese/onion salad.  Only one winner. 

Same with actual sausages. 

They don't really taste of pork. They taste of all the other shit that's in there.

So taking out the pork makes very little difference

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you should try watching "meat" being pressure washed off a chicken carcass for chicken pies

Rather that than fat Linda picking her nose and scratching her arse before slapping the ingredients on.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Personally, I’m as happy eating the mechanically extracted bits of ligament as I am with the prime cuts. In fact, its just so horrendously wasteful to only eat the bits we consider less ‘icky’. It sums us up in so many ways this childish wasteful thing we’ve morphed in to.

There's a whole generation (maybe two) that will eat meat, but won't eat offal. I think a combination of having aged parents that experienced the prewar and rationing eras, and lots of holidays in rural France gave me more appreciation of liver, kidneys, etc. I draw the line at tripe, though. 

• Like 2

Just now, mjmooney said:

There's a whole generation (maybe two) that will eat meat, but won't eat offal. I think a combination of having aged parents that experienced the prewar and rationing eras, and lots of holidays in rural France gave me more appreciation of liver, kidneys, etc. I draw the line at tripe, though. 

Heston and Jamie Oliver a few years ago dug up some Victorian and Medieval cookbooks and did some of the recipes containing everything and the tasters loved it.  

I personally don't give a shit what "it" is as long as it tastes good. 

I suck the knuckle off chicken bones and bite the ends of the chicken bones and suck the juice out of lamb bones all eat the arse of the chicken.

Hmmmm soft, brown meats. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I used to eat liver with mash and onions and like it but I've gone off it big time, not eaten it in years, flavour rather than anything else, kidneys used to be in a mixed grill that I liked as a kid but I was never keen, in a pie they're not a problem, kidneys I am a bit more sceptical about

Christmas was a timely reminder of how much I love pate and there's a lot of good cheap leberwurst here, I eat pate and jam together on crusty bread much to my wife's disgust :lol:

Always wanted to go to a posh restaurant and try sweet breads but never found one 

On the streets of Istanbul you can get breaded chicken heart sandwiches which, to a man 15 pints down, tastes like a young Angelina Jolie groping your balls in a Wetherspoons whilst ordering two bottles of Tyskie.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

On the streets of Istanbul you can get breaded chicken heart sandwiches which, to a man 15 pints down, tastes like a young Angelina Jolie groping your balls in a Wetherspoons whilst ordering two bottles of Tyskie.

This sentence has genuinely messed me about a bit.

Breaded chicken sandwiches, young Angelina Jolie fiddling with my spuds, two bottles of Tyskie 😍😋

Wetherspoons, 15 pints, breaded chicken hearts  🤢😰

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

This sentence has genuinely messed me about a bit.

Breaded chicken sandwiches, young Angelina Jolie fiddling with my spuds, two bottles of Tyskie 😍😋

Wetherspoons, 15 pints, breaded chicken hearts  🤢😰

Me **** you right in the pussy. 

Did I do one? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I was definitely in that category. Steak pie, yum, Steak and kidney? Eugh, turned my stomach. I could never eat rare meat either though, and prepping raw meat was always a bit gross, so I guess I was basically a veggie in denial for most of my life.

• Like 1

Some of my earliest memories were formed when my dad still worked on a mixed farm. They had cows, pigs and chickens and I was the smallest youngest helper and nothing was filtered for me. It was my job to hoik the dead chickens out of the battery cages and chuck them in the dead chicken skip.

That skip sort of kept its own level and I was advised never to fall in it!

So, I think from early on I understood that pies and sausages tasted good, but I also knew what was in them and how it got there. We’re talking early 1970’s farming, there was on site butchery and not an awful lot of stainless steel to be be power washed down after work.

I’d happily skin a rabbit but I’d also happily go for the veggie option.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I'd happily skin a rabbit but I’d also happily go for the veggie option

Same here. When I was a nipper I used to go out with my cousin when he was shooting pigeons and rabbits for the pot, and I learned how skin a rabbit (I can still recall the - not entirely unpleasant - musty smell). I often wonder if I'd still remember how to do it. 

• Like 1

Â