Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sold my vinyl and kept the CDs. 

Mine was mainly because of music magpie, the belief that CDs are worthless whereas who knows with vinyl, some of it will be hard to shift but some of it will be worth a bit, been a while since I checked but I've got a couple of libertines vinyls that were worth £100 each at one point

My big regret is that when I was at uni in the mid 00s I used to go in to HMV every Monday and buy the latest 7" records, had loads of Arctic monkeys, bloc party, white stripes etc usually for around 99p but I sold them all a couple of years later, Kate Nash foundations double disc gatefold cost me £2 and I sold it for about £30, I got excited by the profit and sold too many 

I've valued my vinyl at around the £15K mark (using median market price) right now, might start adding the Cds to the collection in Discogs tomorrow as I keep thinking CDs as relatively valueless then keep finding ones in the collection that really are worth a bit. I was thinking they might only add £2k to the value because of the sheer amount of them but that might move upwards now.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I've valued my vinyl at around the £15K mark (using median market price) right now, might start adding the Cds to the collection in Discogs tomorrow as I keep thinking CDs as relatively valueless then keep finding ones in the collection that really are worth a bit. I was thinking they might only add £2k to the value because of the sheer amount of them but that might move upwards now.

The interesting thing about CDs would be the market to buy them 

I had several Japanese editions* which I thought might be worth something but you need a buyer 

* my basic understanding is that bands don't release singles in Japan so what often happens is they release special editions of the album with the b sides included as bonus tracks

I think I went through a stage of buying more than 1 version of each album, bloc party a weekend in the city I had the standard, 2 special editions, the Japanese edition which had 2 extra songs, the American edition which had 2 other additional songs and then the reissue on which they added flux, and of course the vinyl 

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but you need a buyer 

Discogs. List them on Discogs. Bit a faff to set up but its just a global marketplace for vinyl and CDs. If you've got the time to dedicate to selling them then cutting out the middle man has to be the way to go.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Does that include Clarice Jensen?

I love her stuff. Mostly Cello based.

I'm unfamiliar with this artist, but that is a fantastic tune, so I will be giving her a try tomorrow 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm unfamiliar with this artist, but that is a fantastic tune, so I will be giving her a try tomorrow 👍

May have mentioned her before but Chernobyl composer Hildur Guðnadóttir is worth checking out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheAuthority said:

May have mentioned her before but Chernobyl composer Hildur Guðnadóttir is worth checking out.

Yeah, I was mentioning her to blandy on the other thread. This was from 'Without Sinking', my favourite album of 2011! I remember you were working with her on the Joker soundtrack, right?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I was mentioning her to blandy on the other thread. This was from 'Without Sinking', my favourite album of 2011! I remember you were working with her on the Joker soundtrack, right?

Working with her is a bit of a stretch! (although of course it says that on my bio!) I was hired in the orchestra and she was in the booth. But I did run into her in the hallway and I told her how much I liked the Chernobyl soundtrack and we chatted for a few. Very cool girl!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bickster said:

Discogs. List them on Discogs. Bit a faff to set up but its just a global marketplace for vinyl and CDs. If you've got the time to dedicate to selling them then cutting out the middle man has to be the way to go.

I had about 4,000 opera and classical vinyl records (total number of actual discs probably 12,000?) - couldn't give them away even to musicians.

There's an Argentinian entrepreneur who is buying up vinyl around the world and shipping it all to a warehouse down there. His rep offered me $750 for the lot :puke:

47 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Maybe I'm wrong. Didn't sell it him any way.

Yeah, I just checked, he's Brazilian, owns a bus company. He likes music but he's become obsessed with how many records he can own. It was over 7 million in 2017

• Like 1

When I moved up north and decided to try being an adult, I sold my Technics but brought my vinyl with me. It sat collecting dust for 7 or 8 years until I realised I was too old to be getting decks again. When I decorated, I decided they had to go and ended up throwing them all in a skip at the tip. About 600 records, all gone. 

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

When I moved up north and decided to try being an adult, I sold my Technics but brought my vinyl with me. It sat collecting dust for 7 or 8 years until I realised I was too old to be getting decks again. When I decorated, I decided they had to go and ended up throwing them all in a skip at the tip. About 600 records, all gone. 

Please tell us it was 80's and 90's chart music...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Of the three you recommended, she won easily. I think I recognised some of her music from somewhere.

The other two - one was a No (the more "Jazzy" one from Turkey) and the other a "maybe I need to listen to some more, but it's not feeling like I'm going to like it enough to buy" (the Korean musician).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Please tell us it was 80's and 90's chart music...

Nope, it was house, trance, hard house, some speed garage etc... 

The 80’s pop music is still here, safe and sound. I can record a mix for you if you like? :P

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Nope, it was house, trance, hard house, some speed garage etc... 

The 80’s pop music is still here, safe and sound. I can record a mix for you if you like? :P

No I'm good thanks :), and glad to see you got rid of some proper rubbish ;)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Of the three you recommended, she won easily. I think I recognised some of her music from somewhere.

She's done a few soundtracks, though Joker and Chernobyl are obviously the main ones.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

She's done a few soundtracks, though Joker and Chernobyl are obviously the main ones.

I've not seen either of them. It does remind me though, maybe wrong thread, maybe better in the TTPYO thread, but soundtracks or background music. Often I'll hear something and thing "I know that, what is it" and usually it settles in my mind and I work it out. Sometimes though it drives me nuts or days or even weeks.

The one that did it the most was "American Dream" by Jakatta. Tormented me for ages before it popped into m'noggin. They used it on loads of telly beds.

I guarantee loads of people will recognise it if they hear it...but almost none will remember where from

Â