Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

Has Phil Collins got problems with his legs? There is a n advert at the moment for a Genesis tour and he's featured singing from a chair. 

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has Phil Collins got problems with his legs? There is a n advert at the moment for a Genesis tour and he's featured singing from a chair. 

In 2000, Collins developed sudden hearing loss in his left ear, following a recording session in Los Angeles. He consulted three doctors, who told him that there was nothing they could do and that the chance of a full recovery was slim. Two years later, he had recovered most of his hearing. Collins later found that it was caused by a viral infection, and that it resolved after treatment.

In April 2009, Collins had surgery to repair dislocated vertebrae in his upper neck, which arose while drumming on the 2007 Genesis tour. Following the operation, he lost feeling in his fingers and could only grip drum sticks if they were taped to his hands. In 2010, Collins alluded to feelings of depression and low self-worth in recent years and said he had contemplated suicide, but he resisted for the sake of his children. In 2014, Collins said that he was still unable to play the drums and that it was not arthritis, but an undiagnosed nerve problem. In 2015, he underwent a spine operation. In 2016, he said he was still unable to drum with his left hand. His doctor advised him that if he wanted to play the drums again, he would need to practice as long as he took it step by step.

In his 2016 autobiography, Collins acknowledged that he had struggled with an alcohol problem following his retirement and third divorce. He also stated that he had been sober for three years.

In January 2017, Collins said he was a type 2 diabetic and had received treatment with a hyperbaric chamber after he developed a diabetic abscess on his foot that became infected. In June 2017, Collins cancelled two shows after he slipped in his hotel room during the night and hit his head on a chair as he fell, resulting in stitches for a severe gash close to his eye. The fall was caused by his drop foot, developed as a result from his back operation.

In 2018, Collins began to use a cane to assist with walking, and performed on stage while sitting in a chair.

Wiki

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Here we go...

I quite like a lot of Phil Collins' songs. 

He's OK, prefer him in Genesis.

Even at his worst Phil is a million times better than the current shite in the charts.

• Like 4

My unpopular music opinion is that I wish my Spotify account cost me a lot more.

The nice thing about a] being an adult rather than a teenager, and b] having access to truly vast archives of music of all genres and eras from around the world, is that I can listen to what I want to listen to, and I don't have to give a toss whether other people don't think it's 'cool' or whatever. So I listen to whatever I want; recently I've been listening to modern cello instrumentals, Defected-style soulful house (which I used to be into nearly 20 years ago but hadn't listened in ages) and Hawaiian slack-key guitar music. This is great, and I'm lucky to live in a time where I have access to the technology that allows me to do so.

The obvious problem, though, is that the business that allows me to listen so widely, all day every day, to new stuff, is also as an inevitable consequence shafting musicians. Really, this experience should be costing both me and Spotify a lot more money (I would probably pay 3x what I currently pay monthly, and they should pay vastly more per play). I find that buying stuff off Bandcamp makes me feel better, so I do more of that too nowadays.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

My unpopular music opinion is that I wish my Spotify account cost me a lot more.

The nice thing about a] being an adult rather than a teenager, and b] having access to truly vast archives of music of all genres and eras from around the world, is that I can listen to what I want to listen to, and I don't have to give a toss whether other people don't think it's 'cool' or whatever. So I listen to whatever I want; recently I've been listening to modern cello instrumentals, Defected-style soulful house (which I used to be into nearly 20 years ago but hadn't listened in ages) and Hawaiian slack-key guitar music. This is great, and I'm lucky to live in a time where I have access to the technology that allows me to do so.

The obvious problem, though, is that the business that allows me to listen so widely, all day every day, to new stuff, is also as an inevitable consequence shafting musicians. Really, this experience should be costing both me and Spotify a lot more money (I would probably pay 3x what I currently pay monthly, and they should pay vastly more per play). I find that buying stuff off Bandcamp makes me feel better, so I do more of that too nowadays.

I agree with this. My compromise is that if I discover an album that I like enough to play more than five or six times, I will buy the CD. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I agree with this. My compromise is that if I discover an album that I like enough to play more than five or six times, I will buy the CD. 

I will usually buy the vinyl of artists I like or collect if I've heard it or not. Only buy CD's as a last resort if there's no vinyl version. Luckily that hardly ever happens.

17 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I will usually buy the vinyl of artists I like or collect if I've heard it or not. Only buy CD's as a last resort if there's no vinyl version. Luckily that hardly ever happens.

I'm really surprised that you don't read Record Collector magazine. I remember reading a copy at work once, and a (female) colleague was incredulous that such a journal existed. But I only read read it for the interviews and articles about the actual music (i.e. just like Mojo, Uncut, etc.), I totally ignore all the stuff about pressings, prices, etc. No interest. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm really surprised that you don't read Record Collector magazine. I remember reading a copy at work once, and a (female) colleague was incredulous that such a journal existed. But I only read read it for the interviews and articles about the actual music (i.e. just like Mojo, Uncut, etc.), I totally ignore all the stuff about pressings, prices, etc. No interest. 

I get it very rarely if it features someone I'm interested in.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

James Franco Flirt GIF

If only, it's very draining having to get it up all the time, especially at my age

spacer.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I was talking to my ten year old nephew the other day and the concept of owning a physical copy of some music was so alien to him that I had to both explain it and then show him a CD to prove it. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, rjw63 said:

He's OK, prefer him in Genesis.

Even at his worst Phil is a million times better than the current shite in the charts.

;) especially prior to Trick of the Tail

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I was talking to my ten year old nephew the other day and the concept of owning a physical copy of some music was so alien to him that I had to both explain it and then show him a CD to prove it. 

I sold my CDs when I moved, over a thousand, fair few special editions etc majority in great condition, also a fair few that I'd got from the likes of fopp or the show in merry Hill that used to do 5 for £2, would lazily guess somewhere around the £5k mark, all of it to music magpie and a competitor of theirs that I can't remember the name of, got around £300 for them 

Kept my vinyl though 

I like the idea of collecting something, I think most people do, so mine is vinyl records and hard rock cafe fridge magnets 

No one will ever ask to see your mp3 collection 

• Like 3

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I put mine in a box under the bed, it's easier to find the stuff on Spotify or Youtube than get them out. 

In fact, I think the only CD player in the house now is in the Playstation.

I am missing this fashion for music under the bed. I thought it was just record players that were kept under the bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bluetooth pairing in the car was the end of the CD for me 

I do miss ripping mp3s though, my last phone was full of stuff that I'd converted from YouTube, making my own boot legs from live shows and things like that, lots of covers and acoustic stuff too, I need to get back in to that 

• Like 2

Phil Collins was on The Johnathan Ross show 18-ish months ago and looked and sounded awful.

Couldn’t walk, said he couldn’t drum and at the end of the show proved he couldn’t sing either (I don’t mean a subjective not my type of singing thing, he literally couldn’t sing).

I’ve seen him on TV a few times going on about how he has regrets doing so much touring when his kids were young and missed it all. Now, he seemingly hasn’t learned that lesson. Touring himself to death.

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

recently I've been listening to modern cello instrumentals,

Does that include Clarice Jensen?

I love her stuff. Mostly Cello based.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Phil Collins was on The Johnathan Ross show 18-ish months ago and looked and sounded awful.

Couldn’t walk, said he couldn’t drum and at the end of the show proved he couldn’t sing either (I don’t mean a subjective not my type of singing thing, he literally couldn’t sing).

I’ve seen him on TV a few times going on about how he has regrets doing so much touring when his kids were young and missed it all. Now, he seemingly hasn’t learned that lesson. Touring himself to death.

Ah man, I really wanted to make a “I can’t dance, I can’t sing, only thing about me is the way I walk” type gag, but this post has made feel a bit guilty for trying to formulate it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â