Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

19 hours ago, Xela said:

On the subject of chicken... and get your KW ready.

Thighs are shit. Wings are shit. Legs are ok. Breast is  best. 

"Oooh there's more flavour in thigh meat" 

Yeah, **** shit flavour. 

In our house, such an opinion would prompt the patriarch to call you Little Lord Fauntleroy for at least a week.

You obviously don't have a bottle of HP sauce in your kitchen cupboard, which was only invented so the working-class could get down the flavourless and the inedible without gagging, and was known colloquially as "killer". 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Germany was already unified at that point- it was definitely an “examine your stool” thing.

You think they changed all the toilets as soon as the wall fell?

We must remove the scourge of the communist shelf!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Germany was already unified at that point- it was definitely an “examine your stool” thing.

I know it was unified, yet still to this day there is often an infrastructure difference between east and west.

Just wondering what part of Germany it was :)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Netherlands still has these toilets 😂

The shit shelf, the poo perch, the turd trap, the log ledge, the bog balcony - giving one last chance to wave good bye to your business before sinking it to the depths of hell, or whatever's down there.

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:
4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Netherlands still has these toilets 😂

The shit shelf, the poo perch, the turd trap, the log ledge, the bog balcony - giving one last chance to wave good bye to your business before sinking it to the depths of hell, or whatever's down there.

My abiding memory of using one of these toilets is the smell it generates in the room. Without the water covering up my creation, the room fills almost instantly with a most impressive bouquet.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The whole concept of nation states is the single worst idea that humans have ever had. 

At our heart we're tribal. Always have been and probably always will be. I don't think we 'had' the idea per se. I think it's been in us ever since one tribe protected themselves from another.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2023 at 03:20, TheAuthority said:

I worked in Germany straight out of Uni and the food was just appalling (late 90's.)

Meat, gravy, meat, maybe a potato covered in gravy with meat and white bread on a side plate. Nothing green within sight. 

What was amazing was that everywhere you went there were the toilets that had shelves in them so you could examine your stool. I think people only sh*t once a month so were probably fascinated by it.

On my first business trip to Germany I had to ask what the shelf was for, when I was told, I replied in Jaws-esque kind of fashion, "we're going to need a bigger shelf"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I agree. But what is the tribe?

Family? Friends? Neighbours?  Football team? City? Region? Nation? Religion? Class? Sexual orientation?Ethnicity? 

We've been conned into professing 'pride' and loyalty to arbitrary divisions - flags, anthems, etc. It's all bollocks. 

It absolutely is. We think we are clever because we send gifs and watch rockets go into space, but really we are just monkeys with a slightly better cognition. 

Outside of my personal ''practical'' (a little more realistic) political views, I would be absolutely happy with some form of free market anarchy. That way it is entirely possible for certain lands, even neighbourhoods, opening up left wing communes where they all chip in to have the bins taken out, or all throwing money into a pot to open up a new playground.

Other neighbourhoods could have a more 'capitalist' outlook, where one guy opens up a playground and you pay a few £ to have your kid playing there when needed.

You'd be free to choose what works best for you, without mr/mrs Downing Street telling you what's best. 

I think that top to bottom governments and this tribal bullshit is the cause of most political conflicts. Just let people do what they think is best, and even if it doesn't work, they will soon learn to improve it or change it. 

But I am not going to argue this point, it's unrealistic and an abstract political theory. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I agree. But what is the tribe?

Family? Friends? Neighbours?  Football team? City? Region? Nation? Religion? Class? Sexual orientation?Ethnicity? 

We've been conned into professing 'pride' and loyalty to arbitrary divisions - flags, anthems, etc. It's all bollocks. 

The tribe is all of those things depending on the circumstances. That's what we are. Arbitrary divisions or not, that's what we do. It's what we like, and when I say 'we' I mean the species' nature. Country is just another one of those. We're a horrible species.

• Like 1

Monkey killing, monkey killing, monkey over
Pieces of the ground
Silly monkeys
Give them thumbs, they forge a blade
And where there's one, they're bound to divide it
Right in two
Right in two

Monkey killing, monkey killing monkey over
Pieces of the ground
Silly monkeys
Give them thumbs, they make a club
To beat their brother down
How they've survived so misguided is a mystery
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

Monkey killing, monkey killing, monkey over
Pieces of the ground
Silly monkeys
Give them thumbs, they forge a blade
And where there's one, they're bound to divide it
Right in two
Right in two

Monkey killing, monkey killing monkey over
Pieces of the ground
Silly monkeys
Give them thumbs, they make a club
To beat their brother down
How they've survived so misguided is a mystery
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability
To lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here

Great song

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Couldn’t really give a **** about this tree 🌳 

Saw someone on Twitter describe it as an “outpouring of grief”. Get a grip ffs

I get it, it’s a tree and there’s kids dying. So, yeah I know, perspective.

It was just a picturesque landmark that people liked. I’ve been there, if my memory is correct it takes a bit of effort to reach it. You literally have to go out of your way to do this, just needless vandalism. 

It’s annoyed me more than the crooked house to be honest. And I love my pubs, but I suppose ultimately if more people had gone to that pub it might not have fallen into the wrong hands in the first place. What’s happened there is sad and cynical but I can see why it’s happened.

This thing with the tree is just senseless. The Thomas Hardy tree falling down was disappointing but at least that was down to nature.

But yes life goes on, my one WhatsApp group has already shared a meme with the tree now in heaven with the various celebrities along with the jokes about hoping that the investigation is being conducted by Special Branch.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I get it, it’s a tree and there’s kids dying. So, yeah I know, perspective.

It was just a picturesque landmark that people liked. I’ve been there, if my memory is correct it takes a bit of effort to reach it. You literally have to go out of your way to do this, just needless vandalism. 

It’s annoyed me more than the crooked house to be honest. And I love my pubs, but I suppose ultimately if more people had gone to that pub it might not have fallen into the wrong hands in the first place. What’s happened there is sad and cynical but I can see why it’s happened.

This thing with the tree is just senseless. The Thomas Hardy tree falling down was disappointing but at least that was down to nature.

But yes life goes on, my one WhatsApp group has already shared a meme with the tree now in heaven with the various celebrities along with the jokes about hoping that the investigation is being conducted by Special Branch.

Oh yeah, I agree, it's completely senseless and sad. Pathetic for someone to do it.

But the way people are talking about it is hysterical.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Oh yeah, I agree, it's completely senseless and sad. Pathetic for someone to do it.

But the way people are talking about it is hysterical.

Fair enough, I’m not on Facebook and since Musky made twitter more or less unusable for people who don’t have an account I’m basically shielded from the majority of any outpouring of grief these days.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing, I acknowledge.

Â