Unpopular Opinions

maqroll

47 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't think caffeine had much of an effect on me, until we had a busy day a few weeks ago, rushed straight out, and by 10 I had an absolutely cracking headache. I'm usually 3 or 4 coffees in by then. It was a bit of a wake up call and I've been gradually dialling it back to a couple of cups a day

I've drank coffee for 15+ years now, decided I was going to try cut it out for a month last year and the first two days I had such a bad headache I was unable to do anything but lie down and close my eyes.

I decided life was better with coffee but it doesn't give me a kick either now, it's fairly annoying when I do have those busy days and I need to plan in my fix to avoid a withdrawal headache. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I've drank coffee for 15+ years now, decided I was going to try cut it out for a month last year and the first two days I had such a bad headache I was unable to do anything but lie down and close my eyes.

I decided life was better with coffee but it doesn't give me a kick either now, it's fairly annoying when I do have those busy days and I need to plan in my fix to avoid a withdrawal headache. 

Sounds like a phased reduction might be the best tactic. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sounds like a phased reduction might be the best tactic. 

I don't drink much, 2-3 cups per day max, I'm surprised I get withdrawal headaches from that.

It is fresh double espresso though and not instant coffee, I don't know how much of a difference that makes. 

26 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

It is fresh double espresso though and not instant coffee, I don't know how much of a difference that makes. 

Personally, I don't consider 'instant coffee' to be coffee. 

But we've been down this road before. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

I don't drink much, 2-3 cups per day max, I'm surprised I get withdrawal headaches from that.

I certainly notice the difference between instant coffee and a coffee out of the coffee machine at home and I'm not even using any of the super strong capsules (mainly around 6 or 7 out of 13 strength wise)

Here's a tip if you're having double espresso from a capsule type machine, there really is some decent decaf capsules out there. I've started to make my larger drinks with two capsules but one of them a decaf

• Like 1

I noticed the switch last year. Up until the age of 35 caffeine had no effect. Had cups of tea just before bed and I could be asleep in no time. Now, I'm sitting up til 1am if I sniff a cup after 8pm. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

I certainly notice the difference between instant coffee and a coffee out of the coffee machine at home and I'm not even using any of the super strong capsules (mainly around 6 or 7 out of 13 strength wise)

Here's a tip if you're having double espresso from a capsule type machine, there really is some decent decaf capsules out there. I've started to make my larger drinks with two capsules but one of them a decaf

One of the most infuriating things about coffee is the various meanings of "strength". I can all but guarantee that the "strength" they're referring to is going to be an indicator of roast level and bitterness rather than anything to do with the strength in terms of caffeine content

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

One of the most infuriating things about coffee is the various meanings of "strength". I can all but guarantee that the "strength" they're referring to is going to be an indicator of roast level and bitterness rather than anything to do with the strength in terms of caffeine content

Yep thats broadly true, hence why I started to use one decaf capsule. We've only had the machine a couple of weeks (a second hand hand me down) and sometimes After a couple in the morning I'd have serious jitters, thats why I looked for decaf ones too

We've two amazing coffee shops within about 5 minutes of where I live, one of which roasts its own beans. The day I give up on a flat white from either place is the day I give up on life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyM3000 said:

i can't drink instant. double shot americano first thing in the morning then just tea for the rest of the day. i definitely feel it's something i need to get going in the morning

32 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

On caffeine strength, the fact that arabica is some super standard selling point annoys me as I do like a kick with my coffee. I find most supermarkets its pretty much all 100% arabica. I really like some robusta coffees that I've bought online. I'd love to be able to get a decent blend in a supermarket, if not the robusta.

7 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

No. The noise, the flapping of everything in the wind.

If it's an actual hot day, the air itself is too warm.

Flapping? Are you making card towers and doing jigsaws in the car?! ;)

The warm air is nice, blowing though your hair (if you have any). Arm out the window, like Peter Sutcliffe. Life is good. 

i bet a little convertible is great in the summer. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Flapping? Are you making card towers and doing jigsaws in the car?! ;)

The warm air is nice, blowing though your hair (if you have any). Arm out the window, like Peter Sutcliffe. Life is good. 

i bet a little convertible is great in the summer. 

Last weekend it hit 40c where I was staying.  Open windows and sunroof were not an option.   We would have died if not for AC.

6 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

I used to drink coffee all the time and take caffeine in pre-workouts and thought it didn't affect me.

Then gave it up for a month. 

The first few days were absolutely hell.

But after getting through it I feel so much better. My sleep has improved, I'm more alert and energetic and I'm less reactive (angry) to stuff.

I now have caffeine maybe 3 or 4 times a week (regularly have decaf as I miss the taste) and can actually feel the caffeine when I do.

If you ever try it again try to push through the first few days.

2 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Seinfeld was shit

Did you watch it at the time or years later? I find it incredibly tedious as well, having only come to it decades later. Can't deny its influence though and it suffers from so many shows having been influenced by it and improving on it over the years.

• Like 1

Â