Do you read?

Luke_W

Ive got a third of the way through 'Life' Kieth Richards autobiography...i will tell you now it's shit! Given up on it.

I was planning on buying Keef's book to cheer me up after reading Primo Levi's If This Is a Man. Is it not worth reading?

Have three books set to arrive from Amazon in the next month or so:

The Declaration of Independents

51c3XGyilmL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Far and Away: A Prize Every Time

51f8VUpkGlL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

(tbf, the book is basically an anthology of a few years worth of blog entries from Neil Peart's website)

Carte Blanche

519XS3xr6ZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

(probably not the most surprising list, I admit...)

yep..best auto i have read was stan collymore! i could not put it down,great read,also stevie g was good,paul magrath book was the one that got me on how he lived his life away from playing & how he didnt want to join the villa.

Found a little gem at Brum international when waiting for the flight home. "The Genesis plague" by Michael Byrnes. Half way through it now, and I like it a lot. Think I'm about to continue reading it now, out in the sun, actually.

I've just completed Postwar: A history of Europe since 1945. Seeing as i'm on the bus for 45 minutes, it's perfect to get into a book and you don't even realise you've reached your stop until someone taps you on the shoulder.

I got that the other day, very accessible. The perfect book for me at the moment as I've been looking for a broad overview of that scale to tuck into.

Fiction wise, based on recently watching Sagan's Cosmos series I've bought Contact and my friend has forced Brave New World upon me, so i look forward to those as well!

recently finished a black crime caper ' Rage in Harlem' by Chester Himes which was a good fun quickie.

You read multiple books at once Mike?
Oh ****, where do I begin...

Yes.

First off, I always have a novel on the go. This is invariably my bedtime reading, usually 30 mins to an hour each night.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - for the odd occasion when I don't fancy an instalment of the current novel, or I'm between books, I also have several volumes of short stories by the bed. Currently, collections by Ernest Hemingway, Vladimir Nabokov and Irwin Shaw.

Then there's my secondary book, almost always non-fiction (typically history or popular science). This I take to work each day, and every lunchtime I stroll down to Starbucks and read for 30-45 minutes, over a coffee or two.

In addition, I have in my desk drawer Clive James' "Cultural Amnesia", a superb book of essays that I occasionally read a page or two of first thing in the morning while my PC boots up.

Back home again, our toilet is a considerable library in its own right - full of books designed to be read a few pages at a time (while having a shit, basically!) - poetry, anthologies, etc. Having said that, my current "bog book" is the rather weighty "Landscape and Memory" by Simon Schama - but I pick up others as the mood takes me.

The living room is also book-lined, and if the missus is watching something crap on TV (and I'm not on VT), I often take down something from the shelf for a bit of infill reading.

Also, for the last couple of years I have been working my way through Charles Allen's "Plain Tales from the British Empire" - purely in the garden, when the weather is sufficiently sunny to sit out.

That's just the "regular stuff". I could pick up other books at odd times in odd places if I have a spare five minutes.

If I'm going on holiday, I plan out my reading to go with the destination - on the "one novel, one history, one travelogue" principle.

You get the picture? :)

Stupefying. What I would give right now for the time and money to read like that.

just checked last page

Zeno's Conscience was a really enjoyable book I thought. I read it a month or two ago.

trivia for it, only got published and spread properly as the author italo svevo was friends with james joyce who helped him get it going.

Said it before but the Kindle I just got for the missus is superb. Hundreds of books and no storage issues

Just doesn't feel right to me.

This. I just bought one for my wife, too. She really likes it, and I can see the advantages, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

I love the look, feel, smell even, of books. I like to see them on the shelves.

:nod:

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone read game of thrones? i love the tv program and picked the book up from tescos for £3.50 but it looks a bit on the heavy side for me, im still only half way through empire of the sun which i started sometime in march

Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas.

I really did enjoy this book from start to finish.

• 3 weeks later...
You read multiple books at once Mike?
Oh ****, where do I begin...

Yes.

First off, I always have a novel on the go. This is invariably my bedtime reading, usually 30 mins to an hour each night.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - for the odd occasion when I don't fancy an instalment of the current novel, or I'm between books, I also have several volumes of short stories by the bed. Currently, collections by Ernest Hemingway, Vladimir Nabokov and Irwin Shaw.

Then there's my secondary book, almost always non-fiction (typically history or popular science). This I take to work each day, and every lunchtime I stroll down to Starbucks and read for 30-45 minutes, over a coffee or two.

In addition, I have in my desk drawer Clive James' "Cultural Amnesia", a superb book of essays that I occasionally read a page or two of first thing in the morning while my PC boots up.

Back home again, our toilet is a considerable library in its own right - full of books designed to be read a few pages at a time (while having a shit, basically!) - poetry, anthologies, etc. Having said that, my current "bog book" is the rather weighty "Landscape and Memory" by Simon Schama - but I pick up others as the mood takes me.

The living room is also book-lined, and if the missus is watching something crap on TV (and I'm not on VT), I often take down something from the shelf for a bit of infill reading.

Also, for the last couple of years I have been working my way through Charles Allen's "Plain Tales from the British Empire" - purely in the garden, when the weather is sufficiently sunny to sit out.

That's just the "regular stuff". I could pick up other books at odd times in odd places if I have a spare five minutes.

If I'm going on holiday, I plan out my reading to go with the destination - on the "one novel, one history, one travelogue" principle.

You get the picture? :)

Stupefying. What I would give right now for the time and money to read like that.

Keeping you busy in the army, are they? :)

Dunno about time, but money needn't be an issue. I buy lots of books secondhand, from charity shops, or remaindered, or from Amazon resellers - sometimes for as little as a penny (plus postage).

Currently on:

WTOB.jpg

empire_250.jpg

hoskyns_waitingUS.jpg

Read this over the weekend. :shock:

detail.jpg

It was a deal struck with the missus; if I was to get her to watch Sharpe I would have to read P&P. Fortunately for me, she didn't specify that it had to be the novel and not Marvel's wonderfully condensed adaptation. 8)

That Wickham though; what a cad eh?!

Â