Do you read?

Luke_W

has anyone every read them books by the villa fan, cant remember what his name was but all the characters in them share the names of villa players

I think they are detective thriller sort of books

The Jack Reacher ones by Lee Child?

If so they're pretty good and probably worth reading if you like that sort of book.

Just started Alone in Berlin

Worried it may be a tad heavy for holiday reading so I might switch to some lighter stuff for my travels and start it again when i get home ...

Just started Alone in Berlin

Worried it may be a tad heavy for holiday reading so I might switch to some lighter stuff for my travels and start it again when i get home ...

That's on my list. It's also a classic illustration of my nerdish reading strategy as outlined some pages back, in that I won't read until I've reader another book on my list, namely:

51hgMDTlUuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Incidentally, if you want some slighter lighter fiction set in wartime Berlin, the David Downing "Station" novels are pretty good. Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther books are also rated by many, although personally I don't much like them.

Passion is a Fashion was good. I read Ed Moloneys 'Voices from the Grave' after and it was a very interesting read, probably the best writer on the troubles. I'm now reading "Somme Mud" which i've had lying around for ages. Good so far, always enjoyed World War 1 literature. Has that distinctive "turning against the act of war" vibe to it, whereas before it was glorified in most cases, but the horror of war was really conveyed by writers about this war.

• 2 weeks later...
Just finished The Ice Man : Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer....

i think it was mentioned on here a while back...terrific true crime book...

and there's a film being made about him...can't wait for that

Just finished that one myself, pretty decent although I found it occasionally painted him (Kuklinski) a little too glamorously. Also, his involvement in some of the murders (The Hoffa and Pronge ones especially) have had serious questions asked about them but I suppose we'll never really know.

There are actually two movies in the pipeline about Kuklinski, one with Mickey Rourke and one with Michael Shannon. Be interesting to see which one comes out on top commercially and artistically.

The Paris one looks good.

I read LOTS of stuff about WWII, always have done, but currently I'm on a bit of a post-war late 40s/early 50s kick. Austerity Britain/Cold War type stuff.

Just started Batman: The Long Halloween on a recommendation from a friend, so far so good, can see how it influenced alot of things in Nolans films.

Is this an illustrated novel?

I am currently in the middle of three books: At Home by Bill Bryson, The God Delusion and The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking, which I am going to have to start again.

The Bryson book is the easiest to read I'll fly through it in a week, but the other two I'll be reading for another few months yet. I'm not really enjoying the god delusion

I agree with every word Dawkins says, but his writing style is terrible.
That's often the way. To the extent that people put up a defence or a resistance to any antagonistic style, even if it is sensible or rational. In a way, it's a human failing on behalf of the listener/reader in that they can't separate their opinion of the speaker from their opinion of what he's actually saying.

Just started Batman: The Long Halloween on a recommendation from a friend, so far so good, can see how it influenced alot of things in Nolans films.

Is this an illustrated novel?

Illustrated novel, graphic novel, comic book etc......was very good. Never really got into graphic novels apart from watchmen.

Just started re-reading James Herbert - The Dark. Such a great book. Would make a great movie as well.

Â