Do you read?

Luke_W

51vpCcMSSTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

In 2005 a Vatican-run university opened its doors to priests from around the world, running a course for would-be exorcists. Looking for a story, Rome-based investigative journalist Matt Baglio attended the class, and there met Father Gary Thomas -- a Californian priest who had been chosen to attend by his bishop. Father Gary was concerned that many of the 'possessed' were in reality suffering from psychological disorders best left to the care of doctors. How and why his view changed is the subject of this book. We follow Father Gary's year-long training with a senior exorcist as he is transformed from a doubter into a believer. Baglio gained unprecedented access to this world, including participating in exorcisms and culminating with Father Gary's own fearsome confrontation with the Devil. Woven into his story is the fascinating history of exorcism, its rites and rituals, and the ways and reasons that people become possessed. Matt Baglio speaks to psychologists and detectives, as well as Vatican clergy, to wrinkle out the truth about this most Gothic of subjects. The Rite is proof that the truth about demonic possession is not only stranger than fiction, but far more chilling.

just reading this at the moment, not bad but taking a long long time to get going

ive had it for ages then spotted that its being made into a film with anthony hopkins so thought I will have to read it before seeing it

51DbueM761L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Something very peculiar is happening in Stockholm. There's a heatwave on and people cannot turn their lights out or switch their appliances off. Then the terrible news breaks. In the city morgue, the dead are waking up...What do they want? What everybody wants: to come home.

just finished reading this from the author of let the right one in/let me in

another very good book from him but the ending was pretty shit, and I found that I had no interest at all in one or two of the character

41lOISKLGKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Review

'Peter Crumb's intellect, scathing wit and good looks endear him to the reader, acts of mutilation and near-necrophilia aside - for those that can stomach it, the devil in Glynn's details begs to be read.' Dazed and Confused, Book of the Month 'Glynn writes with verve, panache and a sardonic flair for comedy.' Metro 'Sometimes it's sad. Sometime it's funny. Moreover, it's daringly discomforting, like American Psycho unleashed on middle England. This is not a creation you'll want to turn your back on.' The List Horrific but great.' Chuck Palahnuik

Dazed and Confused

`An equally tortured, arguably more ruthless version of

Raskolnikov ... for those that can stomach it, the devil in Glynn's details

begs to be read.' --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

got this to read next its ment to be pretty decent even the bloke in waterstones was waxing lyrical about it when I went to buy

Just finished Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis - was very entertaining.

Picked up a Flashman in the meantime as I need something light this week - during the working day I'm reading some of the Brian Cox book 'Why E=MC²' and why should we care - trying to educate myself in theoretical physics doesn't leave much room for energetic reading in the evening! :lol:

• 3 months later...

thought I would drag this thread back

ive been reading (in between books) Clive barkers books of blood vol 1-3

its ok for a quick fix in to get you over the initial 'ive just finished one 700 page book and cant quite be arsed to start another one' as the stories are only 40/50 pages long

today I started a book called feed, seems quite promising for a bog standard zombie sort of thing

I'm after something else though so I mite spend an hour in waterstones on my lunch to try and find something

Reading a book called "Crashers " by Dana Haynes

A thriller around a plane crash and the investigation afterwards ( quite detailed on the crash wreckage) very enjoyable ,though reading it on a plane wasn't the best decision I've ever made :-)

You read multiple books at once Mike?
Oh ****, where do I begin...

Yes.

First off, I always have a novel on the go. This is invariably my bedtime reading, usually 30 mins to an hour each night.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - for the odd occasion when I don't fancy an instalment of the current novel, or I'm between books, I also have several volumes of short stories by the bed. Currently, collections by Ernest Hemingway, Vladimir Nabokov and Irwin Shaw.

Then there's my secondary book, almost always non-fiction (typically history or popular science). This I take to work each day, and every lunchtime I stroll down to Starbucks and read for 30-45 minutes, over a coffee or two.

In addition, I have in my desk drawer Clive James' "Cultural Amnesia", a superb book of essays that I occasionally read a page or two of first thing in the morning while my PC boots up.

Back home again, our toilet is a considerable library in its own right - full of books designed to be read a few pages at a time (while having a shit, basically!) - poetry, anthologies, etc. Having said that, my current "bog book" is the rather weighty "Landscape and Memory" by Simon Schama - but I pick up others as the mood takes me.

The living room is also book-lined, and if the missus is watching something crap on TV (and I'm not on VT), I often take down something from the shelf for a bit of infill reading.

Also, for the last couple of years I have been working my way through Charles Allen's "Plain Tales from the British Empire" - purely in the garden, when the weather is sufficiently sunny to sit out.

That's just the "regular stuff". I could pick up other books at odd times in odd places if I have a spare five minutes.

If I'm going on holiday, I plan out my reading to go with the destination - on the "one novel, one history, one travelogue" principle.

You get the picture? :)

Would definately recommend Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box (he's the son of Stephen King and also wrote the awesome Horns!)

Basically, an aging rock star, with a taste for the weird and occult, sees an advert of eBay to buy a ghost - he gets sent a Heart Shaped Box containing an old suit and the spirit of an old man... what he doesn't realise is the ghost was intentionally meant for him

Pretty chilling in places and would make a corking film!

I read the back of heart shaped box and quite fancied it so i recomended it to a bird at work and she said it was absolutely fooking awfull proper dreadfull and she struggled to read it cuz it was that bad

saying that I read horns and thought it was actually a really good easy going read that actually pleasently suprised me

wiggyrichard wrote:

Yes.

First off, I always have a novel on the go. This is invariably my bedtime reading, usually 30 mins to an hour each night.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - for the odd occasion when I don't fancy an instalment of the current novel, or I'm between books, I also have several volumes of short stories by the bed. Currently, collections by Ernest Hemingway, Vladimir Nabokov and Irwin Shaw.

Then there's my secondary book, almost always non-fiction (typically history or popular science). This I take to work each day, and every lunchtime I stroll down to Starbucks and read for 30-45 minutes, over a coffee or two.

In addition, I have in my desk drawer Clive James' "Cultural Amnesia", a superb book of essays that I occasionally read a page or two of first thing in the morning while my PC boots up.

Back home again, our toilet is a considerable library in its own right - full of books designed to be read a few pages at a time (while having a shit, basically!) - poetry, anthologies, etc. Having said that, my current "bog book" is the rather weighty "Landscape and Memory" by Simon Schama - but I pick up others as the mood takes me.

The living room is also book-lined, and if the missus is watching something crap on TV (and I'm not on VT), I often take down something from the shelf for a bit of infill reading.

Also, for the last couple of years I have been working my way through Charles Allen's "Plain Tales from the British Empire" - purely in the garden, when the weather is sufficiently sunny to sit out.

That's just the "regular stuff". I could pick up other books at odd times in odd places if I have a spare five minutes.

If I'm going on holiday, I plan out my reading to go with the destination - on the "one novel, one history, one travelogue" principle.

You get the picture?

Me too.

I have different books for different periods of my day.

Bedtime is spent reading a novel. At the moment it's Slaughterhouse 5 which I've almost completed in 2 nights. (fantastic book btw) Then I have my 'toilet book' It's usually a WWII book of some sort at the moment I'm stoking the dying embers of Rising '44 about the Warsaw uprising. It's quite a biggun' so it's taken me a few months to get there.

Travelling to work I tend to go for more modern history. I've just completed Postwar: A history of Europe since 1945. Seeing as i'm on the bus for 45 minutes, it's perfect to get into a book and you don't even realise you've reached your stop until someone taps you on the shoulder. At the moment I'm reading a book about the war in Chechnya.

I don't follow set rules for holiday reading. If it's a summer holiday I might even pick up a crap novel at the airport so it lies on my chest, while I sleep in the sun.

When I buy my own apartment (wherever I lay my hat) I've already decided on my library and that I should have a room devoted to reading.

Ive got a third of the way through 'Life' Kieth Richards autobiography...i will tell you now it's shit! Given up on it.

Started reading last night 'Donnie Brasco: My Undercover Life in the Mafia' by Joe. D. Pistone...very very good so far.

Said it before but the Kindle I just got for the missus is superb. Hundreds of books and no storage issues

Just doesn't feel right to me.

This. I just bought one for my wife, too. She really likes it, and I can see the advantages, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

I love the look, feel, smell even, of books. I like to see them on the shelves.

wiggyrichard wrote:

Yes.

You get the picture?

Me too.

I have different books for different periods of my day.

Bedtime is spent reading a novel. At the moment it's Slaughterhouse 5 which I've almost completed in 2 nights. (fantastic book btw) Then I have my 'toilet book' It's usually a WWII book of some sort at the moment I'm stoking the dying embers of Rising '44 about the Warsaw uprising. It's quite a biggun' so it's taken me a few months to get there.

Travelling to work I tend to go for more modern history. I've just completed Postwar: A history of Europe since 1945. Seeing as i'm on the bus for 45 minutes, it's perfect to get into a book and you don't even realise you've reached your stop until someone taps you on the shoulder. At the moment I'm reading a book about the war in Chechnya.

I don't follow set rules for holiday reading. If it's a summer holiday I might even pick up a crap novel at the airport so it lies on my chest, while I sleep in the sun.

When I buy my own apartment (wherever I lay my hat) I've already decided on my library and that I should have a room devoted to reading.

:thumb: Glad it's not just me then! :lol:

I decided to put down novels for a bit so started reading some of the books I'd gathered and then never properly read at uni, I'm currently on one of the most useful books I came across, and probably the most interesting too

dying+to+win.jpg

Very interesting if, typically, a little dry.

I read the back of heart shaped box and quite fancied it so i recomended it to a bird at work and she said it was absolutely fooking awfull proper dreadfull and she struggled to read it cuz it was that bad

saying that I read horns and thought it was actually a really good easy going read that actually pleasently suprised me

If you've read Horns and enjoyed it, pick up HSB - it's just as easy to get into!

Â