Do you read?

Luke_W

Finally finished the Bridge. An interesting read, I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I don't think I loved it, but I didn't dislike it either. Might take another read to really settle an opinion on it. Right now, on reflection, it feels like a very good (if unoriginal) idea that maybe wasn't quite taken as far as it might have been (I felt there could have been more reflection of each narrative in each seperate strand... though I ill happily admit I probably missed a lot of that were in the narratives).

Moving onto Perdido Street Station now, very few pages in but already getting a feeling it's gonna be a good ride. Should last a while as well, 800 odd pages and at the rate I'm reading these days I could still be reading it in February.

Currently reading Afterlight by Alex Scarrow

Follow up to Last Light in which various events result in the world's oil supply being more or less destroyed and it's impact on the Uk as the lights go out

Afterlight is based 10 years on as a few pockets of survivors who have rebuilt a semblance of normality try to survive

Also the Author that wrote the rather good Thousand Suns , another very good read IMO , worth checking him out

ive just read

let the right one in-cracking book really enjoyed it, much better than the film (the original film I havent seen the re-make yet)

dark places, by gillian flynn-great book this was, I took a chance on it not knowing any thing about it but it is really well written in a style that makes it hard to stop reading as there is 2 stories running together.

51BJI-LVGjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Libby Day was just seven years old when her older brother massacred her family while she hid in a cupboard. Her evidence helped put him away. Ever since then she has been drifting, surviving for over twenty years on the proceeds of the 'Libby Day fund'. But now the money is running out and Libby is desperate. When she is offered $500 to do a guest appearance, she feels she has to accept. But this is no ordinary gathering. The Kill Club is a group of true-crime obsessives who share information on notorious murders, and they think her brother Ben is innocent. Ben was a social misfit, ground down by the small-town farming community in which he lived. But he did have a girlfriend - a brooding heavy metal fan called Diondra. Through her, Ben became involved with drugs and the dark arts. When the town suddenly turned against him, his thoughts turned black. But was he capable of murder? Libby must delve into her family's past to uncover the truth - no matter how painful...

and I have just started a book called the haunting of james hastings, again I know nothing about it yet so it could be absolute gash

couldn't be bothered to start that book I mentioned in my last post so I have been and so I went and bought this one instead

51pnyEVmbvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with one hell of a hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples. Once, Ig lived the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned American musician, and the younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, Ig had security and wealth and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had the love of Merrin Williams, a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic. Then beautiful, vivacious Merrin was gone - raped and murdered, under inexplicable circumstances - with Ig the only suspect. He was never tried for the crime, but in the court of public opinion, Ig was and always would be guilty. Now Ig is possessed with a terrible new power - with just a touch he can see peoples' darkest desires - to go with his terrible new look, and he means to use it to find the man who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge; it's time the devil had his due.

I was going to start a comic book thread but I'll try this first before doing so. Obviously these things have ran for bloody years and as I have grown older it is one thing I have not grown out of which doesn't bother me but I think it is about time I moved on to one of the main series. As a Smallville fan and previously The Adventures of Superman I thought I'd start reading Superman/Adventures of Superman comics. Now the big question. Where to bloody start? I was thinking of starting with some compilation comics of the earlier stories as I don't want to just skip to were Superman is taking on New Krypton. Anyone/ or older VT members who read comics let me hear what you recommend? Thanks for the help in advance.

I just read a book called Miracle in the Andes: 72 Days on the Mountain and My Long Trek Home...without a doubt one of the best books ive ever read.

It's about a plane crash in the andes, and they have to eat their dead friends to stay alive..maybe some of you have seen the movie Alive..but the book is 10 times better..

Just finished Shake hands with the Devil which is a book about the Canadian peacekeeping mission in Rwanda and how everything happened and the true story etc. Fantastic read.

Working on a book about the Third Reich in World War II currently

couldn't be bothered to start that book I mentioned in my last post so I have been and so I went and bought this one instead

51pnyEVmbvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Ignatius Perrish spent the night drunk and doing terrible things. He woke up the next morning with one hell of a hangover, a raging headache . . . and a pair of horns growing from his temples. Once, Ig lived the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned American musician, and the younger brother of a rising late-night TV star, Ig had security and wealth and a place in his community. Ig had it all, and more - he had the love of Merrin Williams, a love founded on shared daydreams, mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic. Then beautiful, vivacious Merrin was gone - raped and murdered, under inexplicable circumstances - with Ig the only suspect. He was never tried for the crime, but in the court of public opinion, Ig was and always would be guilty. Now Ig is possessed with a terrible new power - with just a touch he can see peoples' darkest desires - to go with his terrible new look, and he means to use it to find the man who killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge; it's time the devil had his due.

quite enjoying this book now, took ages to get into it but it has picked up.

It still drags quite a bit in parts but its good, pretty different and it doesn't take itself to seriously

only thing is when you are reading it and it gets to a bit of a cliffhanger and you get a 100 page flashback which you have to drudge your way through to get back to the story

only got just under 100 pages to go now

got a kobo reader over the weekend. best thing ive ever bought i reckon

shes loaded up with about 600 books now and only about 30% capacity gone, you'd never fill it... or if you did you'd never read it all

just started on this one i'm on page 61 at the moment

looking good so far you can tell that the author is an intelligent bloke after the first few pages and if things like exorcism/possesion interest or scare you then I can see this being a must read

680-9.jpg

Thirty-year-old George Davies can’t bring himself to hold his newborn son. After months of accepting his lame excuses and strange behavior, his wife has had enough. She demands that he see a therapist, and George, desperate to save his unraveling marriage and redeem himself as a father and husband, reluctantly agrees.

As he delves into his childhood memories, he begins to recall things he hasn’t thought of in twenty years. Events, people, and strange situations come rushing back. The odd, rambling letters his father sent home before he died. The jovial mother who started dating too soon after his father’s death. A boy who appeared one night when George was lonely, then told him secrets he didn’t want to know. How no one believed this new friend was real and that he was responsible for the bad things that were happening.

Terrified by all that he has forgotten, George struggles to remember what really happened in the months following his father’s death. Were his ominous visions and erratic behavior the product of a grief-stricken child’s overactive imagination (a perfectly natural reaction to the trauma of loss, as his mother insisted)? Or were his father’s colleagues, who blamed a darker, more malevolent force, right to look to the supernatural as a means to end George’s suffering? Twenty years later, George still does not know. But when a mysterious murder is revealed, remembering the past becomes the only way George can protect himself–and his young family.

Â