Do you read?

Luke_W

I used to read a lot, but I just can't seem to get into books anymore, maybe because I'm a single parent and my son is always asking me things and I'm always looking around the internet at different stuff now too, so maybe it's having the time and a bit of peace that I need.

My Fav books though were Patrica Cornwell books and Micheal Crichton's Jurassic Park and the Lost World, I've read them seveal times....Animal Farm was another I liked.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good contemporary horror writer? I haven't read any horror novels for years, so I'm out of the loop as to who has been decent the last few years. Any recommendations appreciated.

I don't read, but I bought 3 books the other day. I've wanted them for a while and had some time to kill before going to the FÁS office.

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

The God Delusion - Dawkins

The Grand Design - Hawking

Think I'll start with the Hawking one. It smells fantastic.

An interesting read is "Invisible Cities" by Italo Calvino, translated from Italian. It's a fictional tale of Marco Polo's descriptions of cities he's visited in the employ of Kublai Khan. It's singularly unique and unlike anything I've ever read. It's pure poetry, and brilliant, really.

I read the two Stephen Fry autobiographies recently... Moab is my Washpot and the Fry Chronicles. Both fantastic.

Currently reading Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.

An interesting read is "Invisible Cities" by Italo Calvino, translated from Italian. It's a fictional tale of Marco Polo's descriptions of cities he's visited in the employ of Kublai Khan. It's singularly unique and unlike anything I've ever read. It's pure poetry, and brilliant, really.
Read that about a year ago, enjoyed it. I also loved Calvino's If On a Winter's Night a Traveller.

If you like that postmodernist sort of thing, try also Jorge Luis Borges or Georges Perec.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good contemporary horror writer? I haven't read any horror novels for years, so I'm out of the loop as to who has been decent the last few years. Any recommendations appreciated.

Try 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin.

Had a read about that one, sounds interesting cheers.

Try here.

• 2 weeks later...

Try 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin.

I got it, it's very good, so cheers.

Â