Do you read?

Luke_W

Working on a book about the Third Reich in World War II currently

Writing it?

I wish! My knowledge is not that extensive. I suppose I worded that funny, I am reading a book about the Third Reich. Make a wee more sense?

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William Shirer?

The free online books you can get seem to fall into two categories:

1. The very old and out of copyright - including all the "classics".

2. The new, but self-(vanity)published, and of dubious quality.

If you want current/recent books by mainstream authors you'll have to pay.

51y-uFNsWsL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

James Hastings' wife is dead - her life snuffed out in a horrific accident that leaves her husband shattered. Dizzy with grief and guilt, James withdraws into his sprawling mansion, losing himself in liquor ...and memories of Stacey. Until the day two women enter his life. One is Annette, a gorgeous stranger with a dark past. The other is not a stranger, and her past is all too familiar. First her voice echoes through the phone lines, and from behind the ballroom doors ...Then her shoes reappear, streaked with mud and grime, as though unearthed from the grave ...And soon Annette begins saying things only Stacey could know, enveloping James in a spiral of terror and violence that threatens to destroy his home, his sanity, and his soul. For death is only the beginning of his nightmare. And the haunting of James Hastings might just be the end of him.

just reading this at the moment, i'm just over half way through and I cant wait to finish it..not because its great and I cant put it down but cuz its extremely bland and predictable

at the moment I would give it a 4.5 out of 10

plus I have got 3 other books to start on that I am hoping will be better

just got "David Marks - The Lost Beach Boy" by Jon Stebbins, hardback version at a superb £1.99 from Amazon.

Stebbins also authored the best Dennis Wilson biography too

I was readin The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe, but this has been interrupted by the arrival of Beating the Fascists: The Untold Story of Anti-Fascist Action http://beatingthefascists.org/ which is a fascinating read. The book describes the political climate of the time, the tactics employed by militant anti-fascists and the challenges they faced from the far-right, the liberl left and the law. It's a fairly unreported part of British history (hence the title!) and is well worth a read if you're interested in working class politics.

the next three books I am going to be reading

51fSqMxi%2BTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Meticulously documented, "The South Shields Poltergeist" is a truly terrifying account which details the authors' struggle with an invisible, malicious entity that threatened and intimidated anyone who dared to stand up to it. Their encounter may well go down in the annals of psychical research as one of the most chilling true-life encounters of its kind. The book details the authors' investigation, over a period of several months, into what they believe to be the most intense, protracted and well-documented case of its kind. A man had his torso slashed severely; knives, coins and other objects were thrown around; a woman received sinister telephone calls and text messages from numbers that were supposedly disconnected; and children's toys spoke to the investigators. The book is based on the testimonies of those who actually experienced the South Shields Poltergeist at first hand.

41jhpoh7H8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Steven LaChance was forever transformed by the paranormal attacks that drove him and his family from their home in Union, Missouri. When another family falls victim to the same dark entity, Steven returns to the dreaded house to offer aid and find healing. Paranormal investigators, psychics, and priests are consulted, but no relief is found. The demon's presence - screams, growls, putrid odours, invisible shoves, bites, and other physical violations - only grow worse. Steven chronicles how this supernatural predator infects those around it. But the one who suffers most is the current homeowner, Helen. When the entity takes possession and urges Helen toward murder and madness, Steven must engage in a hair-raising battle for her soul."The Uninvited" is a true and terrifying tale of extreme haunting, demon possession, and an epic struggle between good and evil. Steven LaChance is the producer and host of "Haunted Survivor", a local radio show in St. Louis. His story was featured on The Discovery Channel's "A Haunting" and in the documentary film "Children of the Grave". His experiences at the Union house inspired him to form the Missouri Paranormal Research society. Steven speaks at paranormal conferences, and this year he will be traveling across the nation with the Haunted Survivors Tour.

51-2230MwHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

cant find a review on this one but i'm pretty sure the majority of you will have seen the film

• 2 weeks later...

next 2 books that I am reading just bought them today

sound like your bog standard crime books nothing too exciting about them

413NUvOJfnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John Meron, a happily married father of two who’s never been in trouble, receives a phone call that will change his life for ever: his friend Jack Calley, a high-flying City lawyer, is screaming down the phone for help. As Meron listens, Calley is murdered. His last words, spoken to his killer, are the first two lines of Meron’s address. Confused and terrified, Meron scoops up his children and hurries out of the house. Just in time. Within minutes, a car pulls up outside, and three men get out. It’s clear that they’re coming for him. He’s being hunted and has no idea why. And with his wife missing, an unidentified corpse in her office, and the police after him for murder, his life’s about to get one hell of a lot worse.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5174PTu6luL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thirteen-year-old Johnny Merrimon has to face things no boy his age should face. In the year since his twin sister’s abduction his world has fallen apart: his father has disappeared and his fragile mother is spiralling into ever deeper despair.

Johnny keeps strong. Armed with a map, a bike and a flashlight, he stalks the bad men of Raven County. The police might have given up on Alyssa; he never will. Someone, somewhere, knows something they’re not telling.

Only one person looks out for Johnny. Detective Clyde Hunt shares his obsession with the case. But when Johnny witnesses a hit-and-run and insists the victim was killed because he’d found Alyssa, even Hunt thinks he’s lost it.

And then another young girl goes missing ...

I should definitely read a lot more, at the moment I'm pretty much only interested in obtaining everything Philip.K.Dick's ever written. Greatest sci-fi author of all time?
Comparisons are odious, as they say, but certainly one of the greats.

I should definitely read a lot more, at the moment I'm pretty much only interested in obtaining everything Philip.K.Dick's ever written. Greatest sci-fi author of all time?
Comparisons are odious, as they say, but certainly one of the greats.

Indeed. I got introduced to Phil upon my first ever visit to Amsterdam - it was Flow My Tears the Policeman Said. Needless to say, I got completely immersed in it and have been a big fan of his ever since.

Love his short stories as much as the novels.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the short story is THE form for sf.

Short stories >> standalone novels >> multi-volume sagas (the original Foundation trilogy being a notable exception) >> cinema sf >> TV sf

And the best ones were written between 1940 and 1970.

41FyXfeRWDL._SS500_.jpg

belatedly finished The Hobbit - as was asked to read it by obsessed geek. took me a while with limited reading time, and I'm just annoyed it took up reading time. Might have been fun to read as a 12 year old, or younger still, but dull for me now. Still looking forward to the film version of it, if it's suitably dark!

• 2 weeks later...
belatedly finished The Hobbit - as was asked to read it by obsessed geek. took me a while with limited reading time, and I'm just annoyed it took up reading time. Might have been fun to read as a 12 year old, or younger still, but dull for me now. Still looking forward to the film version of it, if it's suitably dark!

The Hobbit is brilliant!! As is Lord of the Rings (recently finished re-reading both).

But wouldn't recommend The Similarion, The Children of Hurin etc if you struggled with that as they read more like history books and are hard to get involved in due to that.

Â