Do you read?

Luke_W

21 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I would not recommend it to a man of your tastes.

I understand that you would find the fate of the character Tony Last in A Handful of Dust, to be horror beyond horror.

Let me guess - he becomes a rural vicar, and goes to a lot of tea mornings with spinster ladies? 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

This year read:

Confessions of an English Opium-Eater - Thomas De Quincey
Nightwood - Djuna Barnes
Three Sisters - May Sinclair
Letters to a Young Poet - Rainer Maria Rilke
Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf (reread)
Under Milk Wood - Dylan Thomas
Short Stories - Virginia Woolf
Moby Dick, or The Whale - Herman Melville
The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
Silas Marner - George Eliot
A Nocturnal Expedition Round My Room - Xavier de Maistre
Dream Story - Arthur Schnitzler
A Little Guide to the Fifteenth Arrondissement for the Use of Phantoms - Roger Caillois
No Exit - Jean-Paul Sartre
Death in Venice - Thomas Mann

Moby Dick and Under Milk Wood were the standouts, both of which I now consider favorites, Mrs Dalloway was already a favorite and I liked it even better after rereading it.

• Like 4

Christmas mode on so it's been biography and memoir time for a bit. 

Bob Mortimer's 'And Away...!' was charming, very self-deprecating as well as playful, with a few of those WILTY tales getting fuller detail.

by contrast...

Miriam Margolyes' 'This Much is True' is mental. Can tell she didn't lack for parental support as an only child, brimming with self confidence, and reads with plenty of theatrical airs to it, in a mischievous way. Quite a surprising amount of 'sucking off' mentioned I'll say that :huh:  But nevertheless charming in a very different way. She is very self-aware of her attributes in all senses of the word. And enjoys a gossip. I imagine she makes for idiosyncratically extraordinary company. 

Got Brian Cox ( actor ) and John Bew's biography of Clement Atlee ' Citizen Clem' to come,  suspect that will involve far less instances of farting and sucking off. 

Also got through another Shakespeare play - 'Two Gentlemen of Verona'... erm... one of his earlier works with a very WTF ending. Can see why this one doesn't get much repeat performance / adaptations. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Have read several of the Saxon series by Bernard Cornwall and just picked up the others. Very enjoyable book series. 

If you like them and looking for similar try some Conn Iggulden.

Ive read his Conqueror series on Genghis Khan which was a great informative read but know he’s done other factually based fiction series such as Roman/Greek times etc too 

• Thanks 1

The last book I read was The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. I read it for the second time, it's a great ghost story. The scariest page for me is near the end just after the main character, Arthur Kipp, decides to smash the nursery room door open because it's somehow locked even though it doesn't have a keyhole. (Bizarre). :s It's such a brilliant page. I won't spoil it with any of the details !

🚪

Edited by robby b

• 3 weeks later...

I have just finished reading "Soul Survivor" by Bruce and Andrea Leininger and Ken Gross.It is a book about a small boy that lived a past life as a WW II fighter piolt.There are pictures and a lot of stuff you could check.A very convincing book about re-incarnation.

• 1 month later...

Just started the Gabriel Allon series of books. Very good so far and excellent supporting characters who I think will be in the majority of the books to come. 

• 3 weeks later...

Currently reading the Pratchett/Baxter Long Earth series. Very very cleverly though through, lots of interesting and insightful science and social concepts in the books.

I can't really detect a lot of Pratchett in there other than the odd slightly jarring jokey turn of phrase occasionally. But the pragmatic tone kind of suits the series really. And of course Pratchett isn't entirely defined by Discworld.

• Like 2

On 31/12/2021 at 18:20, MakemineVanilla said:

I recently reread The Great Gatsby and although it is beautifully written, I was left wondering why it is so highly regarded.

It always seems to be the go-to text for English literature courses but I can't see why?

I love it, even went to see that Gatz play where the main character recites the whole book from memory.

Partly it’s just a very easy read, but layered with enough subtext to be worth rereading and discussing.

Regardless of what you think about the wider story, the opening page is such an insightful observation on growing up:

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.

"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."

He didn't say any more but we've always been unusually communicative in a reserved way, and I understood that he meant a great deal more than that. In consequence I'm inclined to reserve all judgments, a habit that has opened up many curious natures to me and also made me the victim of not a few veteran bores. The abnormal mind is quick to detect and attach itself to this quality when it appears in a normal person, and so it came about that in college I was unjustly accused of being a politician, because I was privy to the secret griefs of wild, unknown men. Most of the confidences were unsought—frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon—for the intimate revelations of young men or at least the terms in which they express them are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions. Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope. I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.

“for the intimate revelations of young men are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions”

What a line

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Currently reading the Pratchett/Baxter Long Earth series. Very very cleverly though through, lots of interesting and insightful science and social concepts in the books.

I can't really detect a lot of Pratchett in there other than the odd slightly jarring jokey turn of phrase occasionally. But the pragmatic tone kind of suits the series really. And of course Pratchett isn't entirely defined by Discworld.

I have to say I got bored after the first 2 books. Agree very little classic Pratchett in them. 

It is a clever concept though. 

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I love it, even went to see that Gatz play where the main character recites the whole book from memory.

Partly it’s just a very easy read, but layered with enough subtext to be worth rereading and discussing.

Regardless of what you think about the wider story, the opening page is such an insightful observation on growing up:

“for the intimate revelations of young men are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions”

What a line

On the subject of F Scott Fitzgerald, I can remember Tom Conti's character in the film Reuben, Reuben arguing with a dinner guest, who was talking about the benefits of speed-reading, and Conti says, that he would actually pay someone to teach him to read more slowly, so he could enjoy the opening of Tender Is The Night, even more.

That's the only thing I can remember about the film, but it definitely piqued my interest.

• Like 1

Finished Crime and Punishment at last. Surprisingly easy to read. Enjoyed it, though he does like a digression here and there. 

Now on to following along with the Friends of Shakespeare Company reading of Ulyssess. Started it last night. I've never listened to audiobooks before, but realising it might be much easier to follow it 2nd time round listening to how other people read it. 

52 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Finished Crime and Punishment at last. Surprisingly easy to read. Enjoyed it, though he does like a digression here and there. 

By coincidence I finished reading The Brothers Karamazov last week. Not an easy read, but glad I did. 

Ulysses I found much easier than I'd been expecting. 

Â