Luke_W

• 2 weeks later...

Currently reading

Villette - Charlotte Brontë

reread it's already one of my favorite novels

Joseph Cornell and Astronomy: A Case for the Stars - Kirsten Hoving

Interesting, I love Cornell's short films and art boxes

The Hundred Headless Woman - Max Ernst

I don't really undertand it but the pictures are intruguing, I guess it's a graphic novel of sorts

A Little Larger Than The Entire Universe - Fernando Pessoa

Lots of quotable lines in this, some of it more interesting to me than other parts

The Arcade Project - Walter Benjamin

I've been reading it on off for ages, lots of interesting quotes and anecdotes that he was collecting for a book that was never finished, It's where I originally read this quote. Has a sort of modernist novel feel to it but up from fragments from other sources, the overall meaning probably goes over my head but I like the individual parts.

The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde

About half way through, it's really great.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

The Arcade Project - Walter Benjamin

I've been reading it on off for ages, lots of interesting quotes and anecdotes that he was collecting for a book that was never finished, It's where I originally read this quote. Has a sort of modernist novel feel to it

Thank you. Added to my list. 

So the flilneur goes for a walk in his room: "When Johannes sometimes asked for permission to go out, it was usually denied him. But on occasion his father proposed, as a substitute, that they walk up and down the room hand in hand. This seemed at first a poor substitute, but in fact ... something quite novel awaited him. The proposal was accepted, and it was left entirely to Johannes to decide where they should go. Off they went, then, right out the front entrance, out to a neighboring estate or to the seashore, or simply through the streets, exactly as Johannes could have wished; for his father managed everything. While they strolled in this way up and down the floor of his room, his father told him of all they saw. They greeted other pedestrians; passing wagons made a din around them and drowned out his father's voice; the comfits in the pastry shop were more inviting than ever:'

An early work by Kierkegaard, cited in Eduard Geismar, Siiren Kierkegaard (G6ttingen, 1929), pp. 12-13. Here is the key to the schema of Voyager autour de ma chambre [M2a,2]

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

There is a Gerrardsville though!

And a Shevchenko, which might mean co-author Grant's brother, might be a Chelsea fan.

I thought that but apparently he is Villa as well 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's a grim one-horse hearse in a jolly round trot--
To the churchyard a pauper is going, I wot;
The road it is rough, and the hearse has no springs;
And hark to the dirge which the mad driver sings;
Rattle his bones over the stones!
He's only a pauper whom nobody owns!

O, where are the mourners? Alas! there are none,
He has left not a gap in the world, now he's gone,--
Not a tear in the eye of child, woman, or man;
To the grave with his carcass as fast as you can:
Rattle his bones over the stones!
He's only a pauper whom nobody owns!

From Thomas Noel poem The Pauper's Drive, quoted by James Joyce in the Hades chapter of Ulysses, Neil Gaiman also apparently used it.

Willmington's Lie by David Zucchino

It's a history book about the white supremacy movement in North Carolina, in 1898.

Those Democrats were really bad mofos, fake news and obsessed with race.

False rape accusations, lynchings, heads on spikes and the rest of the horrors.

And, I haven't even got to the worst bits yet.

Amazingly it only took twenty years for black folk to start voting Democrat.

5 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

My wives bought me this for Christmas. Can't wait to read it. Absolutely love the Discworld series.

spacer.png

Same! I love the Nigel Planer/Stephen Briggs audiobooks too. Was going to listen to the audiobook of this, but didn't like Rob's reading style, so avoided it. Then I got this for Christmas. Hurrah!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Same! I love the Nigel Planer/Stephen Briggs audiobooks too. Was going to listen to the audiobook of this, but didn't like Rob's reading style, so avoided it. Then I got this for Christmas. Hurrah!

Just opened a first edition copy of Pyramids. I'll probably never actually read this copy as I'll be scared to damage it but very happy with it. 

No idea what I've done to deserve it and somewhat worried what it's going to cost me later.

• Like 2

I was considering starting a "VT books of the year" thread to go with the TV, films and albums ones. But I'm sure most of us read across a wider range than just 'new releases', so perhaps a better title would be "The best book I've read this year". Anyway, let's do it here - the readers will find it. 

For me, among a very long list of absolutely great reads, this one stood out. "Metropolis: A History of the City, Humankind’s Greatest Invention" by Ben Wilson. Absolutely fascinating, it's taken in chronological order, each chapter covering one city, and - for want of a better word - its 'USP' (architecture, gastronomy, arts, social organisation, etc.), and how those features have been echoed in other cities and other eras. Highly recommended. 

51V7c7a2PvL._AC_SY1000_DpWeblab_.jpg

• Like 1

Love Pratchett. My to read list has become unwieldy. Think I have approx 12 new books to read and still got a couple more to come from under the tree :o I have had much larger to read numbers including books I've had for years etc but these are all books gifted or bought in the last few weeks. Feels a bit pressurised! Barbara Pym, Paul Auster, Victor Hugo, Charlotte Bronte, Christopher Brookmyre,  Pratchett, Maggie O'Farrell and Elena Ferrante on the fiction list and a few other history books to get through. Also got a special hardback edition of the Count of Monte Cristo to enjoy at some point too! 

New year resolution definitely going to be focusing on carving out more reading time!

• Like 1

Â