Do you read?

Luke_W

On 19/01/2021 at 22:22, sidcow said:

I'm currently reading The Institute by Stephen King.  It's a page turner alright. 

Finished this yesterday. Thought it was excellent and the best thing he's written for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Usual SK style horror?

Is there such a thing as USUAL Stephen King horror? 

I see him more as a psychological thriller type of writer. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Usual SK style horror?

There's elements of a few of his works in this one. The biggest thing for me was he kept the story reasonably tight and straightforward yet utterly compelling and entertaining. 

Not gonna lie, it 'got me in the feels' on more than one occasion.

• 2 weeks later...

After 6 or 7 weeks, finally got through Ulysses. 

if it hadn't have been been for the Pandemic I'd have binned it 3 chapters in. Needed an online guide to survive all the way until the end. Large parts of it were such a joyless slog through impenetrable showings off and references that passed me by, yet by the end I still feel glad to have got through it. Will need to re-read at some point when I don't need to pause every 30 blinking seconds to look something up, but I need to actually enjoy reading intelligible books for a while before I throw myself back down that hellscape of a novel. 

In it's defence it prompted me to read Shakespeare. Something I've obviously never done since school, so voluntarily reading Hamlet - ( and A Comedy of Errors so far ) has been satisfying. I didn't realise quite how many of the quotes come from Hamlet alone :D 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

Ulysses is one of those books that I own a copy of, but will probably never read. I bought it about 15 years ago and never even started it. The more I read about it, the less I want to read it. Please, someone convince me otherwise. 

33 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Ulysses is one of those books that I own a copy of, but will probably never read. I bought it about 15 years ago and never even started it. The more I read about it, the less I want to read it. Please, someone convince me otherwise. 

Dunno if I can,  given my experience, but I suspect it rewards you if you're prepared to put loads of work in. I really enjoyed The Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man so I was pre-disposed to wanting to enjoy it. And even then it tested me quite severely as I noted above, but I am not a big 'eng-lit' analysis fan, I like my books generally fairly straightforward, ( I don't mean just generictrash, there are plenty of intelligent works that are happily conventional in style ) so this was outside my comfort zone. There is plenty of formal experimentation that did my head in, but if that's your bag you might get more out of that element of the novel. 

My most positive impression is that it is impressive how full a picture of Dublin the place it gives you and the absolute warts and all characterisation of Bloom, very much someone you come to know foibles and quirks and all possibly even more than you know yourself. He is an odd fish, mind. The capacity to be both intimate and grand in scale is very impressive.  There are turns of phrase and words that do capture the spirit of little moments quite cleverly. 

But it is taxing on the patience. I think wanting to read it is crucial if you're to get through it though, if you feel a general sense of 'needing to' then don't bother. One of the most popular reviews on goodreads is simply 'Life is too short to read Ulysses'. Which is probably true :D  A bit like learning an instrument if you don't enjoy the practice it's just not going to get you anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Also read a short play, No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre, I don't really know anything about Sartre or his philosophies, I but enjoyed it, it's about three people who go to hell expecting torture decives, hellfire and that kind of stuff but slowly realize that 'hell is other people', reminded me of 'The Good Place' which I'm guessing it must have been an influence on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

first time I've binned a book off in a few years: David Mitchell's A Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet'. Really disappointed with it. I've liked Bone Clocks and Cloud Atlas by the same author, but this one was SO dull and unengaging, after 200 pages I was still not even halfway and time is too precious to waste forcing myself to get through that. 

It's been a fallow year book wise, read plenty of solid 'good' books this year, but nothing yet that has captivated me for a long time. 

On 30/06/2021 at 14:43, PussEKatt said:

My fvourite authors are Stephen Leather and Antony Beevor.

I find Beevor's a bit lightweight if I'm honest. He's fine for an overview.

Even more appropriate considering the following post is about (a different) David Mitchell.

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

first time I've binned a book off in a few years: David Mitchell's A Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet'. Really disappointed with it. I've liked Bone Clocks and Cloud Atlas by the same author, but this one was SO dull and unengaging, after 200 pages I was still not even halfway and time is too precious to waste forcing myself to get through that. 

Not read that one, but see my review of 'Utopia Avenue' earlier in this thread. Terrible book, by a once brilliant author. 

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not read that one, but see my review of 'Utopia Avenue' earlier in this thread. Terrible book, by a once brilliant author. 

Hmm, I'll be staying clear of that one then. Still, I've not read his first couple of books so will happily try those at some point.

40 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Hmm, I'll be staying clear of that one then. Still, I've not read his first couple of books so will happily try those at some point.

Dunno, you might enjoy UA, it got pretty good reviews. It's just that I'm a 60s music geek, and the countless* errors and anachronisms pissed me off. 

* I say 'countless'. Actually 48. I counted them. Told you I was a geek.  :)

Â