Do you read?

Luke_W

On 30/06/2021 at 14:43, PussEKatt said:

My fvourite authors are Stephen Leather and Antony Beevor.

Major Gannon says hello with a nose that has been broken several times, ❤️ the Dan Sheppard series, favourite was the east end gang of armed blaggers he infiltrated in Thailand, nice intro into Lex Harper as well

I have read 16 Steven Leather books so far ( havent read the one you mention though ) I have read 2 of his books concerning the occoult  ( Nightmare and Nightshade ) and they are a good change of pace and a good read as well.I reccomend those 2. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I have read 16 Steven Leather books so far ( havent read the one you mention though ) I have read 2 of his books concerning the occoult  ( Nightmare and Nightshade ) and they are a good change of pace and a good read as well.I reccomend those 2. 

Live Fire is the name of it 

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Thanks for that,Ill do my best to find it.

I am absoutly positive you will like the detective in those other 2 books I mentioned.

Just downloaded first three Nightingale books to my kindle 😃

I read a book for the first time in... an embarrassing amount of time, although it was Bob Mortimers autobiography.

Pretty good, some good little stories etc, just wish it had more detail and info in it - all seemed a bit "glossed over", but it's very funny :)  

9.5/10

24 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I read a book for the first time in... an embarrassing amount of time, although it was Bob Mortimers autobiography.

Pretty good, some good little stories etc, just wish it had more detail and info in it - all seemed a bit "glossed over", but it's very funny :)  

9.5/10

If you liked that, check out James Acaster’s Classic Scrapes - very funny anecdotes from his life. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've gone through all the Bernie Gunthers again. Philip Kerr was such a fine writer. 

After that I'm going to revisit the Downing Station Series.

Wanted to like Kerr, but I couldn't. Downing, much better. Alan Furst also not bad in that genre. 

3 hours ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've gone through all the Bernie Gunthers again. Philip Kerr was such a fine writer. 

After that I'm going to revisit the Downing Station Series.

Downing station is a great series for sure.

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wanted to like Kerr, but I couldn't. Downing, much better. Alan Furst also not bad in that genre. 

Yeah Kerr was never my cup of tea but Furst is great. In a similar vein I also recommend John Lawton and Mick Herron

• Thanks 1

On 12/07/2021 at 05:59, fightoffyour said:

I find Beevor's a bit lightweight if I'm honest. He's fine for an overview.

Even more appropriate considering the following post is about (a different) David Mitchell.

You must mean a different Antony Beevor,because the one that I am talking about only writes stuff about WW II and not fiction.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

You must mean a different Antony Beevor,because the one that I am talking about only writes stuff about WW II and not fiction.

It was just a pretty niche Peep Show (starring David Mitchell, not the author [although this one has written books too I'm sure]) reference, which is where I've heard of Beevor (yes the WWII guy) from.

On 21/09/2021 at 13:19, PussEKatt said:

If you're into WW2 stuff I enjoyed A Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson, which I read a few years ago. It's not in my normal wheelhouse but I picked it up on a friend's recommendation and it was good.

Follows a Hurricane squadron in the early days of the war and into the Battle of Britain. Long book but it's quite funny in places and the characters are good.

• Like 1

I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy these days.

There's quite a lot of good fantasy that's come out in the last 20 years (i.e. post Game of Thrones) that's much more grounded than it used to be. Older fantasy work often comes across as the fantasy of a weird and slightly pervy old man but there's a lot of good authors writing fantasy now.

Sci-fi is a similar story in some regards (except many of the classics still hold up). Happy to make some recommendations about books involving aliens and laser guns if anyone is interested, but as that's a bit niche I'd recommend Flowers for Algernon and the book of The Martian for anyone that isn't. Both really good books and neither are particularly "genre".

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy these days.

There's quite a lot of good fantasy that's come out in the last 20 years (i.e. post Game of Thrones) that's much more grounded than it used to be. Older fantasy work often comes across as the fantasy of a weird and slightly pervy old man but there's a lot of good authors writing fantasy now.

Sci-fi is a similar story in some regards (except many of the classics still hold up). Happy to make some recommendations about books involving aliens and laser guns if anyone is interested, but as that's a bit niche I'd recommend Flowers for Algernon and the book of The Martian for anyone that isn't. Both really good books and neither are particularly "genre".

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy as well.

If I had to say my favorite authors of those genre's they would be Alastair Reynolds and Mark Lawrence and their respective series.

Favorite 'classic' series would probably be the Riddlemaster of Hed

1 minute ago, Big Salad said:

I read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy as well.

If I had to say my favorite authors of those genre's they would be Alastair Reynolds and Mark Lawrence and their respective series.

Favorite 'classic' series would probably be the Riddlemaster of Hed

Funnily enough I demolished most of Mark Lawrence's work over the past year or so and read Revelation Space recently too. Excellent stuff. I particularly enjoyed Red Sister.

Any of Reynolds other work you'd recommend? Revelation Space was very good. A bit heavier than I usually go but it was worth it. Similar to Children of Time by Aiden Tchaikovsky in that regard, that's well worth a read if you've not 

I'm assuming you've read most of the big name fantasy if you've worked down to Lawrence? Lies of Locke Lamora, the First Law trilogy, Name of the Wind, Brandon Sanderson's many series, etc?

Â