Happy Christmas or something (2019)

lapal_fan

I keep going bananas on gift for the other half, but lots of little gifts rather than anything big. It's her birthday today and that almost has been forgotten. She even forgets that as xmas fever sweeps everything else up. Really excited by it all, but also somewhat guilty that half of the gifts happily are things I'd like to do / drink / watch as well. :detect:

10 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I keep going bananas on gift for the other half, but lots of little gifts rather than anything big. It's her birthday today and that almost has been forgotten. She even forgets that as xmas fever sweeps everything else up. Really excited by it all, but also somewhat guilty that half of the gifts happily are things I'd like to do / drink / watch as well. :detect:

I have a simple solution. I ask my 23 year old daughter what he mum wants for xmas and give her a budget. Saves thinking and she's usually right.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I have a simple solution. I ask my 23 year old daughter what he mum wants for xmas and give her a budget. Saves thinking and she's usually right.

Oh I know it's absurd, but I can't help it, I get sucked in to the day. I think the fact it will be our first christmas day spent together ( in our new house ) has contributed to it, as we are being disgustingly cheesy about it all. Honestly if I was taking an outsider view of some of the things we've said in regards to this christmas I'd vomit. We WILL watch Love Actually... Unironically :excl:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I'll be mostly avoiding being knife crimed outside the Goose.

You want to be careful along that tiny little stretch just from Sainsburys down to homebase 👍

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

No,true.Theres bush fires all over Australia atm.

Apparently worse than the ones in the Amazon.

Northern Victoria is going to hit 50 degrees over the next week.

I'm still out here playing 8 hour basketball tournaments in the sun, with Irish skin.

Maybe Mum used to bounce me head first on the ground like a basketball as a baby?

That's probably where I got it from.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Very quiet, and weirdly, warm here.

Flying home Monday for 4 days with the fam.

You'll be **** lucky, we got brexit done mate. You want back in now you need to be Russian mafia or appearing in panto.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I intend on using google but does anyone know of any homeless services that are worth giving my energy to in Birmingham?

I'd prefer not to associate with organisations that take 80% of charitable donations and revenue for their staff and board, and leave 20% for the homeless and hungry.

From memory @TheAuthority was the one telling me the Salvation Army were up to no good according to a connection of his that was on their payroll.

Not expecting anything but just on the odd chance someone has a recommendation for homeless organisations in Birmingham let me know.

I've already got a fundraiser going here for Melbournian's, but we're in the beginning of Summer, 3 months of heat and dryness.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be homeless in England in winter, freezing, densely populated, wet, ugh, no wonder your suicide rate for males alone is 84 per week.

Would happily add a Birmingham based organisation to my fundrasier and facebook pitch/preaching.

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

At the NYC headquarters. No idea how kosher the UK operation is.

Yeah I remember, just iterating that I don't want to raise funds for any organisation. Not looking for the Rockefeller philanthropy groups of the world.

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I intend on using google but does anyone know of any homeless services that are worth giving my energy to in Birmingham?

I'd prefer not to associate with organisations that take 80% of charitable donations and revenue for their staff and board, and leave 20% for the homeless and hungry.

Boards are generally unpaid, and the services of value to homeless people are provided by staff.  Volunteers can be a useful addition, but it's very hard to run decent and reliable services without paid staff.  Low staff cost is not the best basis for distinguishing good and less good services.  I'd suggest not being put off by staff costs, unless the pay rates seem exorbitant, which is pretty unusual.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, peterms said:

Boards are generally unpaid, and the services of value to homeless people are provided by staff.  Volunteers can be a useful addition, but it's very hard to run decent and reliable services without paid staff.  Low staff cost is not the best basis for distinguishing good and less good services.  I'd suggest not being put off by staff costs, unless the pay rates seem exorbitant, which is pretty unusual.

Don't get me wrong, if you're doing good work and providing a service, you should be remunerated accordingly. I understand that.

From my work here in Australia not every organisation is as honest with it's income and expenses as they claim.

Add to this not every organisation has the think tank to get the most output from their input, if that makes sense, and money goes to waste.

I know I can be quite cynical in off-topic, but tax loopholes and fraud are not uncommon among charity services.

Apologies for hijacking the thread because that's not really what I'm worried about here, I just want to know of an organisation doing good work.

I totally strayed from that point.

Â