Happy Christmas or something (2019)

lapal_fan

I've enjoyed the naughty elf shit this year, been some pretty fun ideas.  The elf and his toy story mates having a party in my living room and taking selfies with my kids camera was the best.  The magic in my kids eyes as he looked through the photos "they" took being silly was brilliant :) 

I can never work out if Nightmare before Xmas is a halloween film, a christmas film, or both? Anyway, the missus' lad wanted to watch it last night as hed never seen it before and he loved it.

First day of 10 days annual leave today and I'm going to watch The Tailor of Gloucester and then Home Alone tonight.

Then National Lampoons, Albert Finney Scrooge, and The Snowman over the next few days and lastly Muppets Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve night. Will try and squeeze in Santa Claus (Dudley Moore one) at some point too.

Edited by Ingram85

My thoughts on the annual merry go round of people that insist Die Hard is a Christmas film, versus me, a person that categorically does not believe this to be the case.

So let me put down what I feel constitutes a Christmas film. First and foremost it needs to have part of its setting during the Christmas period. Not all, as White Christmas, Holiday Inn and It’s a Wonderful Life are not entirely set during Christmas. That said Muppets Christmas Carol, Frosty The Snowman and Raccoons Christmas pretty much are.

There is of course a difference between these Christmas movies and say The Great Escape and Wizard of Oz. They are considered Christmas Movies as in days of yore, yesteryear and past times, as they would tend to be on television on Christmas Day.

But back to Christmas films. Outside of it being set during the Christmas Period, without question there has to be an uplifting spirit to the film. It needs redemption, or humility, or charity. It needs to reach a crescendo where the human spirit is seen to be alright after all. Scrooge’s realisation, the end of Love Actually, Jamie giving the toy to Myron in Jingle All The Way, Georges family and friends doing all they can to ensure that Bailey Business and Loan is saved in It’s a Wonderful Life. The absolute measure of a Christmas film is the sentimentality.

Now Die Hard. My theory with Die Hard and it’s inexplicable conversion to a Christmas film over the past few years is this. It is indeed set on Christmas Eve, men though do not want to show any form of sensitivity, they don’t want to say, no I love Frosty The Snowman, Love Actually and It’s a Wonderful Life are beautiful films and reduce me to tears. Filling me with joy. No men don’t want to say that. They sneer and say Die Hard is a great Christmas film as it affirms their masculinity. It’s a lie that has been repeated amongst men so it allows them to downgrade others by telling people, no The Santa Clause, Santa Claus The Movie and Scrooged are not good Christmas films. Die Hard is. I don’t have to well up with Die Hard. I can revel in the killing and the yippee kaye aye really bad person. I can grin at the story knowing that I don’t have to deal with human emotion.

I like Die Hard, I have watched the entire series and enjoyed the hoakum for what it is. Not once have I sat down in June with Bruce Willis hairline staring at me and thought, that’s weird they are showing a Christmas film in June. Not once.

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My thoughts on the annual merry go round of people that insist Die Hard is a Christmas film, versus me, a person that categorically does not believe this to be the case.

So let me put down what I feel constitutes a Christmas film. First and foremost it needs to have part of its setting during the Christmas period. Not all, as White Christmas, Holiday Inn and It’s a Wonderful Life are not entirely set during Christmas. That said Muppets Christmas Carol, Frosty The Snowman and Raccoons Christmas pretty much are.

There is of course a difference between these Christmas movies and say The Great Escape and Wizard of Oz. They are considered Christmas Movies as in days of yore, yesteryear and past times, as they would tend to be on television on Christmas Day.

But back to Christmas films. Outside of it being set during the Christmas Period, without question there has to be an uplifting spirit to the film. It needs redemption, or humility, or charity. It needs to reach a crescendo where the human spirit is seen to be alright after all. Scrooge’s realisation, the end of Love Actually, Jamie giving the toy to Myron in Jingle All The Way, Georges family and friends doing all they can to ensure that Bailey Business and Loan is saved in It’s a Wonderful Life. The absolute measure of a Christmas film is the sentimentality.

Now Die Hard. My theory with Die Hard and it’s inexplicable conversion to a Christmas film over the past few years is this. It is indeed set on Christmas Eve, men though do not want to show any form of sensitivity, they don’t want to say, no I love Frosty The Snowman, Love Actually and It’s a Wonderful Life are beautiful films and reduce me to tears. Filling me with joy. No men don’t want to say that. They sneer and say Die Hard is a great Christmas film as it affirms their masculinity. It’s a lie that has been repeated amongst men so it allows them to downgrade others by telling people, no The Santa Clause, Santa Claus The Movie and Scrooged are not good Christmas films. Die Hard is. I don’t have to well up with Die Hard. I can revel in the killing and the yippee kaye aye really bad person. I can grin at the story knowing that I don’t have to deal with human emotion.

I like Die Hard, I have watched the entire series and enjoyed the hoakum for what it is. Not once have I sat down in June with Bruce Willis hairline staring at me and thought, that’s weird they are showing a Christmas film in June. Not once.

I bet you don't think In Bruges is a Christmas film either, do you? You're wrong.

I dont class Die Hard as a christmas movie at all. The recent Narnia films have Santa in it and he gives them all presents and that's not a christmas film at all either.

Weirdly though, I only watch the Harry Potter films around christmas time so what do I know?

Edited by Ingram85

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I've enjoyed the naughty elf shit this year, been some pretty fun ideas.  The elf and his toy story mates having a party in my living room and taking selfies with my kids camera was the best.  The magic in my kids eyes as he looked through the photos "they" took being silly was brilliant :) 

Your kids sound dumb as ****. Must take after their dad

(am I doing your bantz right? :) )

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Â