Cameron Archer

Zatman

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

The difference is Ramsey is going to a Premier league team who can afford to pay 15m for a youth prospect. Championship sides can't even afford 20m for experienced players in their prime, let alone some kid with potential. 

Sheffield United need a striker. A few others down the bottom of the league could benefit from one too. They might not be interested i guess. And if Boro don't want to meet the asking price they won't be getting him. Maybe they'll settle on an easier buy back and higher sell on clause to get us interested at ~12m

Not sure I'd sell him though. 

29 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why’s that then ? Harshly treated or just not good enough for where we are now ? 

I'd have to go with harshly treated. How many PL starts has he made for us? Or how many PL mins? Every comp he's played in for us so far he's scored.

Obviously i don't see him in training but his record has been excellent. Deserves a chance

Probably one for the Academy thread so apologies in advance . While we a talking about Academy player sales these moves have to be made to further our progression , we need some money coming back in ,the new Brookvale facility is heavily funded from the Academy budget and with more Academy centres planned to open in the next few years we will obviously have to be moving players on to fund it , that’s the business. The outreach satellite centres we work with will no doubt also get swallowed up as funding will decrease as the Academy take over our own facilities .

4 minutes ago, Chine said:

Probably one for the Academy thread so apologies in advance . While we a talking about Academy player sales these moves have to be made to further our progression , we need some money coming back in ,the new Brookvale facility is heavily funded from the Academy budget and with more Academy centres planned to open in the next few years we will obviously have to be moving players on to fund it , that’s the business. The outreach satellite centres we work with will no doubt also get swallowed up as funding will decrease as the Academy take over our own facilities .

Those costs don't come out of our FFP budget though. Having seen how much the owners pumped in up to their allowed levels so far, I don't see them scrimping on the youth facility side of things to save money.  To put it another way, they won't be selling them to fund the youth facilities... but they will be doing it to fund our signings.

Are there rumours of an asking price in the article? 

I would think his price would be way higher than the 12-15m some here are guessing. Would be very disappointed if he did not bring in at least 25m, and I even think that is low when you think about his age and how good he has proven to be in the Championship. Goals are worth so much money.

Edited by Muriel

2 minutes ago, Muriel said:

Are there rumours of an asking price in the article? 

I would think his price would be way higher than the 12-15m some her are guessing. Would be very disappointed if he did not bring in at least 25m, and I even think that is very low when you think about his age and how good he has proven to be in the Championship. Goals are worth so much money.

That’s why I can see Leeds & Southampton being interested … They have the financial means and biggest need. 

47 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

£150 million potentially earned in 3 summers for  academy graduates. Mad really. That has saved us from having to cut our cloth i guess .

Pretty much this. When you don't have an entire country financially backing your club you have to make ends meet some way. I much prefer selling borderline 1st team academy players than our top performers every season. 

17 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Pretty much this. When you don't have an entire country financially backing your club you have to make ends meet some way. I much prefer selling borderline 1st team academy players than our top performers every season. 

Southampton basically paid for Haaland last summer through signing Bazunu, Lavia, Edozie &  Larios… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

It really isn't wrong, I watched as many Middlesbrough games as I could, and Ramsey was far better than him, frankly it wasn't even close, other than his goals Archer was actually quite quiet, in fact I thought Archer looked much better at Preston in terms of all round game.

Ramsey not only had the all round game but also goals and assists to go with it, if it wasn't for his injury MIddlesbrough would probably be in the Premier League now.

My mate is a Boro fan pretty much said the same thing that Ramsey will go on and have a better career which is why i was suprised Philigene took the chance rather than AJ. Archer will probably be worth a little more purly based on being a striker however.

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Southampton basically paid for Haaland last summer through signing Bazunu, Lavia, Edozie &  Larios… 

Yep and City just made another £60+ million on academy sells this summer. Pretty much paid for Gvardiol and Kovacic.  

I think such are the levels we are trying to compete at now it’s going to be very hard for young players to break through. You have to be an exceptional talent. I’ve no doubt Archer will have a great career and hopefully for him he will be playing in the Premier League one day. I just don’t think he is good enough for where we want to be 

Hopefully means we sign another striker though as Duran doesn’t look ready either. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think such are the levels we are trying to compete at now it’s going to be very hard for young players to break through. You have to be an exceptional talent. I’ve no doubt Archer will have a great career and hopefully for him he will be playing in the Premier League one day. I just don’t think he is good enough for where we want to be 

Hopefully means we sign another striker though as Duran doesn’t look ready either. 

Agree with this. We should have a striker lined up if we are prepared to let Archer go.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Enda said:

If you really push it and pretend Wolves/West Brom/etc simply don’t exist, there are three or four million people in the AVFC Academy catchment area. So at a real push the academy should catch about 5% of the population of Britain. 5% is 1-in-20. So only looking at Britain as the talent pool, you’d expect something like one squad player to be from our catchment area.

Thats before including Europe (Pau, Kamara), South America (Luiz, Emi) and so on. So it would be very unusual if our academy had produced more than a handful of our first team squad.

If we want to compete for the top 4, we need a top 4 squad. We can’t have a squad who are bottom-half PL standard, even if that includes some very very good players.

We should get used to selling 90-95% of our academy.

You may be right but I can see why people find it upsetting. There's a romance and an attachment from having your academy players coming into the first team and making an impact.

If we'd have been where we are now rather than where we were a few years ago we'd probably have sold Jacob Ramsey rather than watch him flourish into a future England player here. 

That said, the door for academy players to be involved with the first team is clearly still open as Philogene is proving.

In the end, we've got to trust Unai and the club hierachy on this. We're pretty well run these days. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

You may be right but I can see why people find it upsetting. There's a romance and an attachment from having your academy players coming into the first team and making an impact.

If we'd have been where we are now rather than where we were a few years ago we'd probably have sold Jacob Ramsey rather than watch him flourish into a future England player here. 

That said, the door for academy players to be involved with the first team is clearly still open as Philogene is proving.

In the end, we've got to trust Unai and the club hierachy on this. We're pretty well run these days. 

I don’t get the upset if I’m honest.  Yes we all love the romance but the romance is only there if the player is doing it on the pitch like JJ or Grealish.  Generally though I have more interest that the whole team are doing it on the pitch wherever the player comes from.  As you say our first team door is open with JPB getting time, Feeney,  K.Young, Revan, Kellyman…if the kid is good enough, he has to prove it to Unai and in him I trust.  If there is better player in the market than the kid and Emery decides to go that route I’m not going to be too upset if I’m honest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

People talking as if the championship is the only place he can possibly go. I can see a French team coming in for him or maybe even an Italian team. 

They dont have any money so he will only go abroad on loan

There's a potential that Emery has seen a lot in Kellyman and wants to back that horse instead of Cam. 

He might feel that bringing in a more experience/proven striker for Cam and then using Kellyman as an understudy is a better squad balance. 

Â