Cameron Archer

Zatman

Archer has not been playing with the first teamers around him.

He comes on when the team has been weakened and is disorganised.

Part of pre season is supposed to be about allowing the manager to make decisions on certain players.

Emery knows what Watkins can do, surely it would be an idea to start Archer with the first teamers to get a definitive answer to Archer's abilities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Just a friendly but got no service. Think he be better playing with Diaby than Coutinho

Yeah don't like the hard time he gets, not sure what people expect from him.

Although, even Ollie gets the same treatment at times in circumstances where he has had zero service.

Archer is even more of a poacher type than Ollie, so needs the service or slick play and through balls IMO.

• Like 2

I think Archer is more of a box, get the ball out in front of him, type player.  He isn't ready for a load of games at the top level but could possibly play against some of the lower teams in the cups.  He's a good player but not ready yet.  Same for Philogene-Bidace.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah don't like the hard time he gets, not sure what people expect from him.

Although, even Ollie gets the same treatment at times in circumstances where he has had zero service.

Archer is even more of a poacher type than Ollie, so needs the service or slick play and through balls IMO.

Also archers off ball strengths are about him creating space for teammates cutting outwide with the ball and then playing it into the centre. But who is he supposed to pass the ball to? Buendia or Coutinho who are 50 yards away because they are slow? Play him with a fast SS and a quick winger and he'll create a hell of a lot of chances. He got 6 assists for Borough last season. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

Spot on folks....Archer just needs time and patience.

Bit more than Watkins who apparently can do no wrong because he runs around a bit.

No need to rag on Ollie to defend Cam. 

Most of us appreciate both. 

6 hours ago, STO said:

I think Archer is more of a box, get the ball out in front of him, type player.  He isn't ready for a load of games at the top level but could possibly play against some of the lower teams in the cups.  He's a good player but not ready yet.  Same for Philogene-Bidace.  

Well he needs to develop  more if he wants to become a pl striker.

Being a box striker isn't enough these days.

8 hours ago, STO said:

Without trying to be too harsh, both players are now over the age of 20, they’re 22 and 21 respectively. If they aren’t ready now then they probably aren’t going to be for what we want/need at this point in our progress. Id say this pre-season is make or break for them. 

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Without trying to be too harsh, both players are now over the age of 20, they’re 22 and 21 respectively. If they aren’t ready now then they probably aren’t going to be for what we want/need at this point in our progress. Id say this pre-season is make or break for them. 

But you are being too harsh, because a lot of 21 year olds aren’t immediately ready for the PL but go on to be great PL strikers. They might or might not be ready for us _this season_ but that isn’t make or break by any means.

Im not going to judge him on two meaningless friendlies. There is scope for improvement in his game but the same can be said about watkins 

Once he gets his fitness back up i reckon archer adds value to our 1st team/squad 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Buyback clauses are useless unless your an elite team

been said many times here, why would he come back to us? because we're aston villa? or because he's a fan? or even if we get CL by then?

we don't want him, we don't give him a chance, we sell him, he scores a ton of goals, becomes a successful PL striker, maybe even breaks in to the England set up seeing as we're thin at striker....and then because villa decide they do actually want him he comes back?

I don't see it, even if he is a fan (?) even if we have CL by then and even though money talks, it'd be like a jilted ex lover you just don't do it 

buy back clauses are the luxury of the top table clubs and even then you rarely see it, its something barca and madrid do as they fiddle the books, cant remember any PL team doing it

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not going to judge him on two meaningless friendlies. There is scope for improvement in his game but the same can be said about watkins 

Once he gets his fitness back up i reckon archer adds value to our 1st team/squad 

Archer is a long, long way from being as good as Watkins. I don't think he ever will be. 

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Archer is a long, long way from being as good as Watkins. I don't think he ever will be. 

He is but lets not forget archer is alot younger than watkins is. Watkins was playing for exeter at archers age.

Alot of work needs to go in archers work but i have no doubt he has the ability and attitude to apply it

He's going to get a few chances over the next few months to come on when we're chasing a goal, with Ollie and Diaby both on the pitch and the ball pinging around the box. 

He'll get chances and he'll put them away, I have no doubt.

But he's unlikely to be starting too many times leading the line in Prem games unless there's a bit of an injury crisis. And that's fine. That's how many young strikers earn their stripes.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He is but lets not forget archer is alot younger than watkins is. Watkins was playing for exeter at archers age.

Alot of work needs to go in archers work but i have no doubt he has the ability and attitude to apply it

I have no question marks over his attitude but I think that in order to succeed with us, he needs to add a huge amount to his game and be comfortable playing deeper than he wants to. At the moment, Archer can play one position well, which is an out-and-out striker, looking to break the line. The problem with that is that we need more than that.

Watkins, for me, was great yesterday. He's very comfortable with his back to goal, dropping deeper, facilitating, moving quick passes about etc. With a player like Diaby now on the books, this could be the start of an amazing attacking partnership IMO. 

Right now, I'd either look to loan Archer for another season to work specifically on this skill, or just sell him for a decent fee. I think I've said before that I think his level is a star in the championship and I haven't seen anything this preseason to change my mind. 

I don’t think we will actively look to sell him but can see Sheffield United or Forest coming in for him and if they come in with a high enough bid we wouldn't fight to keep him and stand in his way. He needs to be starting week in week out for the sake of his career development. 

Â