Cameron Archer

Zatman

16 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

He isn't going back to the championship. Keep him in the squad til we run out of cup games and then find him a top flight loan. He's ready. 

Preston fans seem to agree with this.  Basically see their club as his final developmental stage before he hits Villa's first team squad.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Preston fans seem to agree with this.  Basically see their club as his final developmental stage before he hits Villa's first team squad.

Honestly where has this kid come from?! I mean he was on loan in the Vanarama, did OK, suddenly got a random start in a cup game because of injuries, scored a few goals, now he's too good for the championship and ready for our squad next season!

At his current rate of development Man City will be chucking £150m at us for him next summer! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weedman said:

Honestly where has this kid come from?! I mean he was on loan in the Vanarama, did OK, suddenly got a random start in a cup game because of injuries, scored a few goals, now he's too good for the championship and ready for our squad next season!

At his current rate of development Man City will be chucking £150m at us for him next summer! 

He scored a hat trick in a training game during pre season. That earned him his chance against Barrow and he was incredible that day. Been banging in the goals since

seems he was always a talented footballer but was just so small it was hard for him to make the most of his assets, namely his clinical finishing with both feet,  Then he had a growth spurt in terms of filling out and he had a new found strength which he has used to turn ito a\ very useful player.  The difference between him and say Brad Young is that it is hard to see which is his stronger foot. He can score with either with no discernable difference . he can curl , smash , tap in with both. 

The great thing about him is that he has so much to his game . he can pass very well, he can hold the ball up far better than anyone his size should be expected to , and he has awareness of whats around him. Reminds me of Harry Kane in that respect. Obviously has miles to go but the skillset is there to do more than just score goals 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 07/02/2022 at 19:09, barry'sboots said:

I don't see Ings staying at VP after this season - he just doesn't work in a Stevie G team imho.

Links today to Lacazette who I do think would be a great option/back up to Ollie and would fit our style of play.

I also think Ollie will come good playing as a "9" with two out of Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Traore feeding him.

I think both Archer and Davis have roles - Davis is a real handful and offers something different whereas I see Archer as a more direct replacement for Ollie. However, I think Archer, and possibly Davis (assuming he carries on his current Forest form) might benefit from a loan at a bottom 6 PL team next season - getting regular minutes in the PL would be huge for both of them. This would be similar to what Chelski have done with Gallagher. We could then assess them properly rather than bringing them in as pure bench warmers.

I don't see Danny Ings going at all.....his positioning and vision against Southampton was top drawer.

I think the work, they have both been putting in to blend, is finally working, it takes time.

The end of the season will tell us more, but they are not the same player, each has complimenting attributes, which is great.....what they got back on Saturday, was belief, and with the little magician pulling the strings, behind, the confidence in each other returned.

I just see them going from strength to strength.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2022 at 16:46, TRO said:

I don't see Danny Ings going at all.....his positioning and vision against Southampton was top drawer.

I think the work, they have both been putting in to blend, is finally working, it takes time.

The end of the season will tell us more, but they are not the same player, each has complimenting attributes, which is great.....what they got back on Saturday, was belief, and with the little magician pulling the strings, behind, the confidence in each other returned.

I just see them going from strength to strength.

I didn't think Stevie would change his style/tactics but he has and it seems to be working - both Ollie and Ings are benefitting from Coutinho's freedom at 10 and we are starting to look good with the diamond.  It will be interesting to see how this develops. Equally, Coutinho is pivotal to this and so retaining him would be key ... £480k p.w. will be tough but it would be for any PL side!

• Like 1

Might he be worth sending to Deano next season? Fighting for promotion at top end of the League for the full season might be the development he needs. You know Dean will look after him. Problem is Pukki bangs in goals in the Championship so don't know how you could fit both players into the team.

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Might he be worth sending to Deano next season? Fighting for promotion at top end of the League for the full season might be the development he needs. You know Dean will look after him. Problem is Pukki bangs in goals in the Championship so don't know how you could fit both players into the team.

There’s still a few weeks of the season left a lot may depend on how we continue and how he continue’s at PNE. 

If we finish the season strongly and he does the same, unless we make any major personnel changes up front, we can bring him into a strong confident squad where he can fit in and continue his development without pressure. Good cup runs will get him plenty of games. 

Under those circumstances I don’t think he needs another season in the Championship. Look across the Pennines from Preston to find players heading for Championship football next season. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

There’s still a few weeks of the season left a lot may depend on how we continue and how he continue’s at PNE. 

If we finish the season strongly and he does the same, unless we make any major personnel changes up front, we can bring him into a strong confident squad where he can fit in and continue his development without pressure. Good cup runs will get him plenty of games. 

Under those circumstances I don’t think he needs another season in the Championship. Look across the Pennines from Preston to find players heading for Championship football next season. 

I agree. If he finishes the season getting one goal in every two games for preston, I dont see what we learn from him going to Blackburn next season and scoring 19 goals. I suppose it furthers his development and gives him game time.

I just think he would feature a hell of a lot for us next season, if we arent to bring in another forward in the summer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I just think he would feature a hell of a lot for us next season, if we arent to bring in another forward in the summer.

Though on the other hand he could just end up sitting on the bench all season if Ings and Watkins stay fit. 

8 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Though on the other hand he could just end up sitting on the bench all season if Ings and Watkins stay fit. 

This is the issue, also his fitness and form will likely suffer from odd 20 minute cameos rather than full games. Look at Keinan Davis. Arguably needed a loan away 3 years ago but we kept him as he was "close" to the first team and he spent the whole time never getting a real run of games and loads of niggly injuries. We need to manage Archer better and a loan to a top end championship team might be good for him

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weedman said:

This is the issue, also his fitness and form will likely suffer from odd 20 minute cameos rather than full games. Look at Keinan Davis. Arguably needed a loan away 3 years ago but we kept him as he was "close" to the first team and he spent the whole time never getting a real run of games and loads of niggly injuries. We need to manage Archer better and a loan to a top end championship team might be good for him

Agreed. He's twenty, and he's played about 15 games at a professional level. The last thing he needs is to sit on the bench all season.

A full season on loan in the Championship to keep developing will do him the world of good, IMO, and the season after that, Ings is 31, and Archer can come back having topped the Championship scoring table, full of confidence :D 

• Like 2

If we continue to play mainly two up top, even if not every game, then Archer would currently be third choice which means he would almost certainly get quite a few minutes. If we go back to mainly 4321(shudder!) then it would be best to loan him out to a top end championship club. I trust the club on this one.

39 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You have to remember 10 months ago he was getting 6 or 7 mins off the bench on Right Wing against the likes of Kings Lynn and Wealdstone in the National League. Next season the League starts early next season on 6th August. There should be 4 PL games and one EFL Cup game before we make a decision on him. He could stick around until Jan and leave early in that month on Loan again.

Plenty of options

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, picicata said:

If we continue to play mainly two up top, even if not every game, then Archer would currently be third choice which means he would almost certainly get quite a few minutes. If we go back to mainly 4321(shudder!) then it would be best to loan him out to a top end championship club. I trust the club on this one.

4321 is a good formation. People are forgetting the main change that worked for us in last three games has been the changing of how full backs play. 

Anyway. If we bring in a Suarez for 12 months we can let Cam go on Loan again then Summer 2023 Well have Ings with 1 year left, Watkins with 2 and Suarez leaving. It might be the time to reassess the CF department if we have qualified for Europe.

51 minutes ago, ender4 said:

but he is different to them, so it gives the manager, options to change.

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed. He's twenty, and he's played about 15 games at a professional level. The last thing he needs is to sit on the bench all season.

A full season on loan in the Championship to keep developing will do him the world of good, IMO, and the season after that, Ings is 31, and Archer can come back having topped the Championship scoring table, full of confidence :D 

I do see the point. But if he is proving to be a 1 in 2 championship striker, is that not exactly the type of player we would be spending £25mil on. I.e. he should feature a fair bit.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I would like to see him, working with PC and to emulate those quick feet.....the boy already has a natural nose for the onion bag......He could be the next Defoe, with the right tuition.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I would like to see him, working with PC and to emulate those quick feet.....the boy already has a natural nose for the onion bag......He could be the next Defoe, with the right tuition.

I knew we’d get Defoe on the end. 

Â