Whoscored Ratings

omariqy

A good way of assessing how well players are playing albeit stats don't show the whole picture.

After GW3

R   Player CM KG Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating
1   John McGinn24, M(C) 178 68 3 270 1 1 - - 2.7 75.3 0.7 1 7.48
2   Tyrone Mings26, D(CL) 196 77 3 270 - 1 - - - 72.5 3.3 - 7.42
3   Frederic Guilbert24, D(CLR),M(R) 178 70 1 90 - - 1 - 1 75 2 - 7.16
4   Conor Hourihane28, DMC 180 62 1 82 - - - - - 88 - - 7.06
5   Jack Grealish23, AM(CL) 175 68 3 270 - 1 - - 1.3 86.1 0.3 - 6.99
6   Björn Engels24, D(C) 193 83 3 270 - - - - 0.3 86.5 4.7 - 6.95
7   Wesley22, FW 191 93 3 254 1 - - - 1.7 71.1 2 - 6.81
8   Jota28, AM(CLR) 180 70 1(2) 124 - 1 - - 0.3 80 0.3 - 6.67
9   Trézéguet24, AM(LR) 180 71 3 232 - - 1 - 1.7 80 2 - 6.67
10   Ahmed El Mohamady31, D(R),M(R) 183 75 2(1) 184 - - - - - 88.7 1 1 6.61
11   Anwar El Ghazi24, AM(LR),FW 188 90 2(1) 178 1 - - - 2.3 74.4 2 - 6.58
12   Douglas Luiz21, M(C) 175 66 2(1) 188 1 - - - 0.7 85.7 0.7 - 6.55
13   Neil Taylor30, D(L),M(L) 176 64 3 270 - - - - 0.7 77.9 0.3 - 6.54
14   Tom Heaton33, GK 188 85 3 270 - - - - - 54.2 0.3 - 6.19
15   Keinan Davis21, FW 191 68 0(1) 3 - - - - - 33.3 2 - 6.05
16   Jonathan Kodjia29, AM(LR),FW 191 77 0(1) 16 - - - - - 75 - - 5.75

Mins: Minutes played Goals: Total goals Assists: Total assists
Yel: Yellow card Red: Red card SpG: Shots per game
PS%: Pass success percentage AerialsWon: Aerial duels won per game MotM: Man of the match
CM: Height (in cm) KG: Weight (in kg)

* Players shaded are players who are not currently active in team (Loaned, sold, etc.).

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing. Here's the explanation for how the scores are calculated: https://www.whoscored.com/Explanations

WhoScored.com Ratings are based on a unique, comprehensive statistical algorithm, calculated live during the game. There are over 200 raw statistics included in the calculation of a player'’s/team’'s rating, weighted according to their influence within the game. Every event of importance is taken into account, with a positive or negative effect on ratings weighted in relation to its area on the pitch and its outcome.

Bit annoying that they don't really explain how it's calculated, so no doubt it's got a few holes. But it's all driven by Opta stats and presumably they've tested it against results for predictive validity, so it ought to be a reasonable measure of player performance - and at least it's objective.

I'd say it's all pretty fair. They have John McGinn as the 14th best performer in the Premier League so far, and Tyrone Mings as the 20th best.

The most interesting thing in our stats is the relative rankings of Hourihane and Douglas Luiz. I guess when Hourihane left the pitch against Spurs, the score was 1-1. Douglas's points have improved game on game, though (6.02 against Spurs, 6.79 against Bournemouth, 6.85 against Everton).

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Do they  put pictures of players on a wall and throw random numbers at them and see what sticks?

Their numbers not corresponding with your perception of the games are they? :D 

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Their numbers not corresponding with your perception of the games are they? :D 

They do seem odd.

Jota's got a pretty crap rating. Surely a couple of cameos can't outweight an excellent game against Everton?
Engels has been better than Mings in pretty much every way, yet is considered the worst of the 2?
Grealish worse than Hourihane, better than Wesley?
Albeit marginal, Taylor our worst player and hasn't really put a foot wrong?

• Like 1

Keinan Davis won 2 aerial duels in his 3 minutes of appearances, and he only gets a 6.05?

I'm not saying he should have had an 8, because I don't think he did a lot after he won these balls, but I just think stats are mostly pointless.

I remember after the first two games, Elmo's main defence was "But look at his WhoScored rating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".... 6.61. Then Guilbert has come in and has basically impregnated the whole of the midlands with that performance.

• Haha 2

Whilst it’s objective in its calculation, it doesn’t add anything more subjective like game management (McGinn running down the clock); or taking heat out of situations by slowing the game down allowing teams to rebalance or find attacking positions; or clever passing.

Not sure how they value Key Passes, i.e. not assists but passes that result in a goal, one or two passes back from the actual assist?

5 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Keinan Davis won 2 aerial duels in his 3 minutes of appearances, and he only gets a 6.05?

I'm not saying he should have had an 8, because I don't think he did a lot after he won these balls, but I just think stats are mostly pointless.

I remember after the first two games, Elmo's main defence was "But look at his WhoScored rating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".... 6.61. Then Guilbert has come in and has basically impregnated the whole of the midlands with that performance.

Not really, elmo is averaged over 2 games, guilbert 1. for reference elmo had a 7.69 against bournemouth & had pretty much the same defensive stats (tackles/interceptions/clearances etc) whilst having far better pass completed % (over 90), more chances created, more key passes etc.Oh & he didn't get booked ;)

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not really, elmo is averaged over 2 games, guilbert 1. for reference elmo had a 7.69 against bournemouth & had pretty much the same defensive stats (tackles/interceptions/clearances etc) whilst having far better pass completed % (over 90), more chances created, more key passes etc.Oh & he didn't get booked ;)

On the other hand Everton are better than Bournemouth. Wesley was fouled for Guilbert's booking. We had more chances in general against bournemouth and Guilbert's passes were more direct and dynamic including a couple if excellent cross field balls to trezeguet. 

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

On the other hand Everton are better than Bournemouth. Wesley was fouled for Guilbert's booking. We had more chances in general against bournemouth and Guilbert's passes were more direct and dynamic including a couple if excellent cross field balls to trezeguet. 

& on the other hand we beat everton so typically ratings will be higher for the winning team. Guilbert is a defender and still only managed a 7.16 in a game where we kept a clean sheet compared to elmo who managed a mightly 7.69 despite  the team conceding 2 goals and losing the game. Maybe we had more chances against Bournemouth because elmo created them rather than Guilbert only managing to find someone on his own team with70% of his passes ;)

Ststs huh...

Nice to look at but ultimately the only stat that matters in football is the full time score. Everything else is just fairly inconsequential numbers really.

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Alright Ahmed, whatever you say

Its got Jack Grealish as the shortest player in the squad, can we trust this site?

Theres no way Neil Taylor and John McGinn are taller than him, unless McGinn is always crouching? I would have bet my life Grealish is taller

Not having it:

Image result for john mcginn and jack grealish

Edited by Junxs

Â