Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi 2019/2020

villalad21

On 09/12/2020 at 18:20, Keyblade said:

He's been playing like this for a couple of years now. He just walks around and coasts on his supreme technical ability when given the ball, but he's hardly been putting in any effort for a while now. Now that his team is absolute shit too, it shows him up a bit more.

To be fair he is holder of the Balon D'Or, hard to do that while barely making any effort.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair he is holder of the Balon D'Or, hard to do that while barely making any effort.  

That's true and will also be the holder this time next year becasue they for some crazy reason decided to cancel it this year. If I was Lewandowski, I'd nearly consider legal action.😄

He's had to adapt the way he plays becasue he physically cannot do what he did in his younger days. The problem is Barca are a club so devoid of a plan of how to play that Messi's "energy conservation" looks like he doesn't give a fiddlers. He is saving his energy for the moments when he has the ball. He is still pretty effective and surprisingly energetic in these situations.

Ronaldo has also adapted how he plays. He's no longer the player that goes on runs doing 49 stepovers in a second but he is ridiculously effective at getting in to scoring positions and his finishing is amazing.

• Like 2

I think Ronaldo has moved at the right time too. The fact that he’s had something to prove at a new club in a new country seems to have invigorated him while Messi has his feet so far under the table at Barcelona he gets dragged in to all the political and boardroom level drama.  If he moved somewhere new then maybe he could be able just to focus purely on his football again. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tell James Milner that energy conservation is a prerequisite to playing on and being world class in your thirties.

Cristiano will always be a winner. That's what I love about him.

Messi's drive and desire is what made him unbeatable and set the standards of play so far above the rest, now he lacks the relentless tenacity he once played with, at least from what I've seen recently, which admittedly isn't all that much.

I'm not knocking the guy, he's a magician, a masterclass, a maestro, an absolute wonder to watch. But if he doesn't feel like being part of a cohesive approach to winning the ball back these days, he'll just stroll around until the next passage of play comes along where he can pick up the ball and attack. 

That said though Barca have been fairly devoid of a game plan executed well enough to give them a foothold in the contest last few times I've watched them in the bigger fixtures.

And Argentina, you'd think, could have mustered more out of their campaigns with the attacking prowess at the disposal over the last decade, again, fairly devoid of a game plan outside of hoping that Messi's genius will prevail, or any one of their world class forwards musters up the courage to have an impact at the right time, but it hasn't worked.

On 11/01/2021 at 13:17, A'Villan said:

Tell James Milner that energy conservation is a prerequisite to playing on and being world class in your thirties.

Cristiano will always be a winner. That's what I love about him.

Messi's drive and desire is what made him unbeatable and set the standards of play so far above the rest, now he lacks the relentless tenacity he once played with, at least from what I've seen recently, which admittedly isn't all that much.

I'm not knocking the guy, he's a magician, a masterclass, a maestro, an absolute wonder to watch. But if he doesn't feel like being part of a cohesive approach to winning the ball back these days, he'll just stroll around until the next passage of play comes along where he can pick up the ball and attack. 

That said though Barca have been fairly devoid of a game plan executed well enough to give them a foothold in the contest last few times I've watched them in the bigger fixtures.

And Argentina, you'd think, could have mustered more out of their campaigns with the attacking prowess at the disposal over the last decade, again, fairly devoid of a game plan outside of hoping that Messi's genius will prevail, or any one of their world class forwards musters up the courage to have an impact at the right time, but it hasn't worked.

Regarding Milner, the man was physically able for PL football at the age of 16/17. There were rumours Messi had to take growth hormones and even with that ended up 5ft 6 and 1/2 inches or whatever he is. Comparing them physically is the same as comparing them ability wise. There is just no point. 

I just don't think he is physically able to do both anymore and that's why for him and for Barca - because let's face it, they haven't a clue what their plan is at the moment - it's more important that he affects the game with the ball. If you imagine Ronaldo in today's Barca team or their teams over the last few seasons, I don't think he has the same effect as Messi. I think Ronaldo has been in better teams since the Xavi, Iniesta, Messi axis broke up. Having said that Ronaldo is an amazing footballer.

And as for Argentina, they've been a shitshow. Although in 2014 they were fairly well organised and got unlucky in the final I thought. They missed a few chances and then Neuer getting away with assaulting Higuain. If the ref had sent him off for that, this whole discussion could be completely different.

Yes Messi has carried Barcelona for many years now. With all  the other stuff as well, its taken a big toll on him. Ronaldo has never had the same burden. He just needs to score goals, nothing else. Mess has to do that and be the provider. 

46 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes Messi has carried Barcelona for many years now. With all  the other stuff as well, its taken a big toll on him. Ronaldo has never had the same burden. He just needs to score goals, nothing else. Mess has to do that and be the provider. 

Sorry what. you make it sound like Ronaldo was playing under no pressure at Real Madrid and that Messi was getting assists from Bacuna and Westwood not Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar or Jordi Alba in the last decade

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Sorry what. you make it sound like Ronaldo was playing under no pressure at Real Madrid and that Messi was getting assists from Bacuna and Westwood not Xavi, Iniesta, Neymar or Jordi Alba in the last decade

No of course hes had pressure but Messi has to create the play as well as score goals so more pressure particularly since Neymar left. 

• 2 weeks later...

Messi's contract with Barca (According to El Mundo)

It's good to be the king.

The entire contract, including variables, amounts to a grand total of €555,237,619. According to the report, 92% of the variables stipulated in the contract have already been fulfilled, meaning that the total salary Messi has earned is €511,540,545.

The fixed salary, or the minimum amount of money the Argentine was scheduled to earn, was €245,314,080. Some of the most eye-catching variables include a €14,194,576 bonus for winning the Champions League, a bonus of between €9,463,064 and €4,731,532 for winning the league and a bonus of between €2,365,768 and €591,552 for winning the Ballon d’Or.

Messi also earned a renewal premium of €97,941,250 and a loyalty premium of €66,240,462, as well as a fixed image contract of €43,290,720. The timing of the release of the contract is curious given it comes at a time when Messi’s future is undecided.

https://www.football-espana.net/2021/01/31/the-breakdown-of-lionel-messis-lucrative-barcelona-contract

Edited by sne

A shade under €2.7m a week.

They let Suarez leave the club for about 10 days of Messi’s wage. Suarez currently leading scorer in la Liga and leading Atlético to the title.

Must be the worst managed club on the planet.

So barca have played their hand, they're in the shit because messi gets paid too much and he gets paid too much because he has too much power over them

It doesn't shift the blame, he didn't offer himself that contract... And it's still only a portion of their financial woe 

Messi's wages or signing greizmann, dembele and coutinho? Which has put them more in the shit? 

• Like 2

Â