Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi 2019/2020

villalad21

I’m not saying the only reason they are scoring is because of poor defending, just asking the question as someone who hasn’t watch very much Italian football at all.

Vardy got 23 in 40 games last year which is quite impressive.
Lukaku got 34 last year for Inter but only 15 in a similar number of games for United.

Zlatan got 29 in 53 for United 3/4 years ago (0.54 goals per game) Now has 20 in 29 (0.69 goals per game) at almost 40 years of age.

Its all very impressive

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I’m not saying the only reason they are scoring is because of poor defending, just asking the question as someone who hasn’t watch very much Italian football at all.

Vardy got 23 in 40 games last year which is quite impressive.
Lukaku got 34 last year for Inter but only 15 in a similar number of games for United.

Zlatan got 29 in 53 for United 3/4 years ago (0.54 goals per game) Now has 20 in 29 (0.69 goals per game) at almost 40 years of age.

Its all very impressive

As Zatman said the Serie A is more open now and there is a generation gap with some the old guard of defenders nearing the end of their careers. There is a new generation coming with the likes of Alessandro Bastoni leading the way at Inter. 

Don't watch nearly as much Italian footy as I used to but no doubt the financial issues are taking a toll on what type of players and managers they can attract and keep. A newly promoted PL-side can out muscle almost any Serie A side on pure finances sadly.

As for Ronaldo and Zlatan they are once in a lifetime players. Ronaldo obviously one of the GOAT's but at 39 Zlatan is also a phenom. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

37 goals in 36 appearances in calendar year 2020 for Ronaldo.   He's nearly 36. 

Messi is more reliant on his dribbling and pace. Doubt he will adapt as well as Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is as fit as anyone and is big and strong. Can probably play at the highest level till he is 40

On 22/11/2020 at 09:12, Zatman said:

Serie A is no longer the negative defensive stereotype of the past. Majority of the teams play attacking open football and teams like Atalanta, Sassuolo and Lazio play some of the best stuff in Europe. Probably the ost entertaining league at the moment 

Also in Italy they do give a lot of penalties through Var 

Nothing wrong with good technical defence with a little bit of sh*housery thrown in. Franco Baresi springs to mind. Personally I like all sports that has a good balance between defense and attack and perhaps some of the more recent rule changes in football has shifted the balance too much? Just my thoughts.

Edited by The Fun Factory

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Nothing wrong with good technical defence with a little bit of sh*housery thrown in. Franco Baresi springs to mind. Personally I like all sports that has a good balance between defense and attack and perhaps some of the more recent rule changes in football has shifted the balance too much? Just my thoughts.

Fully agree. Football has killed the defensive art to make it more goal friendly. I think the only defenders currently playing I would rate in my top 25 defenders or so would be Chiellini, Ramos or Godin and they are all near the end of the career and not for any recent accomplishments. 

i always though that italian defenders / serie A defenders had mastered the line of the ball and were always able to step across it making it theirs, not necessarily tackling or intercepting just the ability to step across the line of the ball maiking it theirs rather than the attackers, all about body positioning

i would now say that has swung in the favour of attackers, grealish in the PL for example knows the line better than 99% of defenders, mcginn with his ass is also very good at it, i think attackers in general have wised up to it and now its the other way round, defenders cant touch attackers, they're better at shielding the ball, there's obviously always been technical attacking players but there are now more of them

On 22/11/2020 at 09:53, sne said:

33 y.o Jamie Vardy has 8 in 7 for Leicester and had 23 last season. Is it because he's a good finisher or because the defending in the PL is poor?

One of the things that grinds my gears (as Peter Griffin would say) is that whenever a player does something outside the PL it's always because that league is crap, or they can't defend, or the forwards are poor, or the league is uneven, or the players are soft, or they would no be able to do that a cold night in Stoke or whatever.

How about some credit where credit is due.

Not aimed at any specific poster, just a general observation.

To be fair 6 of Vardy's goals in the Prem have been penalties. Leicester have had 8 penalties already this season.

I agree with your overall point though

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Messi is more reliant on his dribbling and pace. Doubt he will adapt as well as Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is as fit as anyone and is big and strong. Can probably play at the highest level till he is 40

He'll just drop back into midfield and become a world class playmaker for a couple of years.  The goals will dry up, Ronaldo has actually been pulling away from Messi recently, but I'm not sure that's a big deal.   

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Messi not a great season so far

2 sides to it, in the context of barca being utter utter dogshit from top to bottom and him dropping deeper and deeper he's still wracking up decent stats, in the context of him being a mardy **** not so much

this barca team is incredibly bad

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

2 sides to it, in the context of barca being utter utter dogshit from top to bottom and him dropping deeper and deeper he's still wracking up decent stats, in the context of him being a mardy **** not so much

this barca team is incredibly bad

Shows how much he has carried them the past few years.  They should have just let him go in the summer.

• Like 1

Messi looked nothing like Messi last night, more like John Mcginn. 
A few pot shots from the edge of the box that didn’t really threaten to go in and that was it.

Anyone thinking of signing him on mega money in the summer must be wondering, is he finished or just being mardy?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Messi looked nothing like Messi last night, more like John Mcginn. 
A few pot shots from the edge of the box that didn’t really threaten to go in and that was it.

Anyone thinking of signing him on mega money in the summer must be wondering, is he finished or just being mardy?

He's been playing like this for a couple of years now. He just walks around and coasts on his supreme technical ability when given the ball, but he's hardly been putting in any effort for a while now. Now that his team is absolute shit too, it shows him up a bit more.

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

I don't think he has adapted as well to "old" age as Ronaldo has 

Agree

But also think that it was evident that he wouldn't 10 years ago

He needs his bollocks tickled and a bit of love, will be horrible if he does come to the PL with city and the rags and social media dickheads get their knives sharpened ready for the we told he was shit stuff

I'd be flying home to try and see him at VP that's for sure, last time I saw Ronaldo there he was in reo cokers pocket 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Agree

But also think that it was evident that he wouldn't 10 years ago

He needs his bollocks tickled and a bit of love, will be horrible if he does come to the PL with city and the rags and social media dickheads get their knives sharpened ready for the we told he was shit stuff

I'd be flying home to try and see him at VP that's for sure, last time I saw Ronaldo there he was in reo cokers pocket 

You know Pep would probably rest him for a Carabao Cup game the following week 

• Like 1

Â