Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi 2019/2020

villalad21

Trying to think of the last time I was sad at a player retiring.

Even with Villa players, they tend to slow down and probably move away before retiring so I'm not that fussed.

When Messi calls it a day it'll be a glum time . The guy is just unreal.

• Like 1

Probably worth mentioning that Ronaldo became the first Juventus player to scored 25 league goals in a season since Omar Sivori in 1960/61.  I know goals are harder to come by in Serie A, but I'm genuinely surprised it's been nearly 60 years since Juve had someone score 25 league goals for them. 

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Probably worth mentioning that Ronaldo became the first Juventus player to scored 25 league goals in a season since Omar Sivori in 1960/61.  I know goals are harder to come by in Serie A, but I'm genuinely surprised it's been nearly 60 years since Juve had someone score 25 league goals for them. 

Considering his age as well. Impressive

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Messi has scored more than 10% of Barcelona's goals.

Ever.

Scores or assisted isn’t it? Thought I saw that the other day. Immense stat.

Its a shame we’re into the annual “Messi is going leave Barcelona, it’s not about money, but then gets offered more money and decided to stay” saga 

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Scores or assisted isn’t it? Thought I saw that the other day. Immense stat.

Its a shame we’re into the annual “Messi is going leave Barcelona, it’s not about money, but then gets offered more money and decided to stay” saga 

This is why Barcelona in the current mess financially not Messi fault but incompetent board. According to FM so not accurate but close enough that he is on £1.2 million a week. I really dont see any major club paying that to him at 33

I don't see him going China or Saudi Arabia

• Like 1

Too lazy to look myself... 

How do Aston Villa as a club goals scored compare to messi goals scored and goals contribution? 

I know you factor in CL but I would be amazed if we've scored more than him in the last 15 years 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

How do Aston Villa as a club goals scored compare to messi goals scored and goals contribution? 

I know you factor in CL but I would be amazed if we've scored more than him in the last 15 years 

Was a few seasons back but think Messi and Ronaldo were outscoring a lot more than just us. Was around top 6 numbers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Messi has scored or assisted more than 10% of Barcelona's goals.

Ever.

He's been there over 13% of her history, and that's playing for the first team.

5 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

He's been there over 13% of her history, and that's playing for the first team.

Yep. 

But considering Barcelona scored their 9,000th goal the other day, it's still an unbelievable stat

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep. 

But considering Barcelona scored their 9,000th goal the other day, it's still an unbelievable stat

Oh, phenomenal. He's basically averaged over 55 goals per season over 16 years.

I only added the time he'd been there to add weight to your original acknowledgement of his greatness.

Edited by A'Villan

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I can't find a reliable source to easily see how many goals we've scored in all competitions by year. But I can for league games only, so let's use that.

Wiki says Messi has scored 441 league goals since his debut in 2004/05 (in 482 appearances)

Since that time, Aston Villa have scored 783.

it's probably fair to exclude 04/05 as Messi only made 8 appearances and only scored 1 goal. So doing that it's 

440 vs 738

I suspect if you did all competitions it would be much closer, but we'd still have scored more as Messi has scored 630 total.

Our numbers are also massively inflated by three high scoring seasons. One of the MON seasons where we scored 71, and our final 2 seasons in the Championship where we scored 72 and 82 respectively.
If you take those seasons out of both goal sets and leave out 04/05, it's 360 vs 513

So yeah we've scored more than him. But not exactly by a huge amount!
And the fact I even had to check speaks volumes! 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I feel bad that I don't watch more Barcelona games because they're so boring but I'm missing out on on of the GOATs. He's just gonna retire and you're gonna wish you watched him more.

Yeah I feel the same, watched every game when Ronaldinho was there, went twice, post tito I drifted, post iniesta I watch about 3 games a year 

image.thumb.png.3371eaa722055f73422ea0c5ae92a22a.png

Cropped it at 20 because that's all I could fit into one screen grab, but damn isn't Ronaldo Mr Champions League?  Quarter finals onwards he's got over double the goals of anybody else. 

• Like 1

Except for the Inter game just before lockdown on March 8th, Ronaldo has scored in every game he has played in Serie A since the 10th November.

He has also scored in 21 of the 27 games he has played this season in Serie A

Â