Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’ve never been fully convinced by Luiz. I think £35m seems a good price for him tbh.

Must admit I’m surprised we’re not letting him go at that price if we didn’t value him highly enough to get him signed up on a new contract before now.

How do you know we've not been trying?

I can see a move happening before this window shuts next week. It just feels inevitable.

Pretty sure though that we won’t allow him to move unless someone else comes in.

I’m really not sure if he’s progressed as much as we’d hoped he would have at this point? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

How do you know we've not been trying?

Someone posted a journalist a few pages back saying we’d just opened contract talks. But if we have been trying and he’s been refusing to sign, I’m even more surprised we’re not accepting the offer.

• Like 1

I’m honestly not fussed if we lose him for a very good price. If somebody bids anywhere near £40m, they’re bonkers. He’s a good player and he hasn’t really kicked on in the last 18 months at all. I’d argue he’s not lived up to expectations after his best spell of form after project restart. He’s not performed that well since. I also don’t think he’s dynamic or physical enough as a number 8. 

He’s a tidy, neat player with a good touch. If we get massive money for him then we can reinvest in a better player IMO.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Luiz to Arsenal seems a strange one to me. I know that Arsenal have pretty much missed every target they've gone for but I'm not seeing the benefit for Luiz here. Just a strange one. 

He won't be able to be with his girlfriend as much! (Or maybe she's planning a move to a London club too).

I bet certain players decide they want to experience living in London for a few years so maybe that has something to do with it.

And then with Arsenal there's more of a possibility of playing in the CL. (Boo).

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

It’s definitely an odd one. Do you think he’ll leave? 

I think we'll be tempted if we've got a £30m offer and a guy who's already turned down a contract.

We can't without at least one in. Perhaps we'll sell if Bentancur gets done.

• Like 1

In his first season, if I remember rightly I think he scored 3 goals in the league and I thought that's fine for a defensive midfielder. I guess we shouldn't  expect a DM to score more than just occasionally but last season I don't  think he scored at all (in the league, at least) and he hasn't done this season so far either, that's a long drought now. 😕

But apart from that I do think he's a good player, he's good at passing and he tries hard. As someone said just now: tidy, neat, good touch. I'd like him to stay till the end of this season and maybe next season too.

Edited by robby b

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s not Arsenal who have bid though. Newcastle. It must be?

Arsenal fans seem convinced it's them. Would be horrible business by us. We can never hope to catch them if we're selling them our best players (for no real reason too?).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Arsenal fans seem convinced it's them. Would be horrible business by us. We can never hope to catch them if we're selling them our best players (for no real reason too?).

I agree. Why sell an established first teamer to our rivals? Arsenal are where we want to be and selling them one of our better players isn't going to help us catch them. We don't even need to sell. Makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robby b said:

In his first season, if I remember rightly I think he scored 3 goals in the league and I thought that's fine for a defensive midfielder. I guess we shouldn't  expect a DM to score more than just occasionally but last season I don't  think he scored at all (in the league, at least) and he hasn't done this season so far either, that's a long drought now. 😕

But apart from that I do think he's a good player, he's good at passing and he tries hard. As someone said just now: tidy, neat, good touch. I'd like him to stay till the end of this season and maybe next season too.

He scored those three goals while playing as an 8.

• Thanks 1

Â