Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

3 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Only in games where we are dominating (or at least getting our fair share of) possession.  Against Liverpool and Citeh, as Villalad21 says, I would expect us to be chasing the ball for long periods of time and, in that scenario, CH has a tendency to become a passenger.  I would play Luiz, or even Lansbury, in front of him in those games.

Can see the logic, but with Jack on the pitch and McGinn who win a lot of free kicks, you'd want Hourihane in the team to take a set piece for Mings, Engels, Wesley to get on the end of and stick it in the back of the net. 

5 minutes ago, Jay.P.A said:

Can see the logic, but with Jack on the pitch and McGinn who win a lot of free kicks, you'd want Hourihane in the team to take a set piece for Mings, Engels, Wesley to get on the end of and stick it in the back of the net. 

I think others are capable of decent delivery (if only we could have NFL "Special Teams" rules then CH would get plenty of action 😉) - Jack or Targett or even Dougie L.  I would much prefer to have the industry/defensive ability/energy of Luiz or Lansbury in these type of games. 

We are only going to be getting the ball to Jack to get fouled if we are winning it back in CM first!

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Well Luiz has blasted in 2 goals in the top corner now.

Can't see a reason to why he can't take free kicks for us. In fact i'd be very interested to see that.

Not free kicks though mate. Open play goals. It's not the same at all. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Only in games where we are dominating (or at least getting our fair share of) possession.  Against Liverpool and Citeh, as Villalad21 says, I would expect us to be chasing the ball for long periods of time and, in that scenario, CH has a tendency to become a passenger.  I would play Luiz, or even Lansbury, in front of him in those games.

You can see it that way but I don't , We have to defend further up the pitch by pressing their defence and pushing them into playing long  balls with less time to pick passes.

Not sure  of the running stats of either player but at a guess I would have Hourihane covering more ground and he  does it further up the pitch. 

So we spend 2 pages worrying ourselves that Man City are going to take him back, then follow that with 2 pages wondering how he can force his way past Conor Hourihane and into the first 11.

Surely you can't worry about both of those things 😊

41 minutes ago, av1 said:

So we spend 2 pages worrying ourselves that Man City are going to take him back, then follow that with 2 pages wondering how he can force his way past Conor Hourihane and into the first 11.

Surely you can't worry about both of those things 😊

Do you think Pep cares if he's getting into our team or not?

Pep seen him play for years and know he's potential.

He's our player now, so I don't care what Pep wants or doesn't want. I think that he will soon become a first team starter for us and that it will take a lot of money for Pep to get him back (assuming he's still there then). 

• Like 2

I can see us selling McGinn to Man U for silly money come end of season and then this guy coming into the starting line alongside Nakamba, giving the midfield a solidity that allows Jack to play no 10 and us dominating opposition midfields!

4 hours ago, tinker said:

You can see it that way but I don't , We have to defend further up the pitch by pressing their defence and pushing them into playing long  balls with less time to pick passes.

Not sure  of the running stats of either player but at a guess I would have Hourihane covering more ground and he  does it further up the pitch. 

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I accept that CH is a decent attacking player.  Indeed, I have suggested a number of times that he could play at "10", either in a 4-4(diamond)-2 or a 4-2-3-1.  One of the best games I have seen him play was when he was playing at "10" off Davis at home v Norwich a few seasons back and he scored a hat trick.  He is a goal threat and has a thunderous left foot.  However, he always looks half hearted in the tackle to me and doesn't have the desire to win the ball back - he looks like he is covering ground and attempting it bit never quite has the conviction.

Lansbury, however, is more aggressive and has more energy, whilst also possessing a goal threat.

Douglas L I am uncertain about as yet, as we haven't seen enough of him in an "8" role to call.  I would like to see him play there. 

I think, as I said previously and I appreciate that you disagree with, both would be better than CH in a three man CM when we are playing a Big 6 club, certainly away from home.

Nice to have a squad that allows us to debate this though!!😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I can see us selling McGinn to Man U for silly money come end of season and then this guy coming into the starting line alongside Nakamba, giving the midfield a solidity that allows Jack to play no 10 and us dominating opposition midfields!

how about we just keep our best players, add even better players, and become a top 6 club ourselves?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

If Man U come and give us 60 million for McGinn, I'd take that. 

And do what with it?  We don't need it with Wes and Naseef at the helm.  Next summer, if we can replace Jota with Benrahma, bring in another striker to compete with Wes and Keenan and bring in two full backs to replace Elmo and Taylor/compete with Guilbert and Targett, we will be up there and a midfield with Nakamba and McGinn + 1 will be driving that. 

I would only let him go if he wants to go and don't understand why, at this stage in his career, he would want to go to a poor Man U side that is getting lots of stick.  He can get that stick with Scotland. He is loved at Villa and is becoming a really good and important player. 

Â