Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

43 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

how about we just keep our best players, add even better players, and become a top 6 club ourselves?

That's the plan.

41 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

If Man U come and give us 60 million for McGinn, I'd take that. 

But things don't always go to plan, in which case I'd take that!

I would like to see what a 4-2-3-1 with Nakamba and Luiz as the 2 and Grealish as the centre of the 3 would do.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Defensive and negative.

That's something Mourinho would do. Don't like it

Disagree. We get an extra player in an advance position, the passing and long range shooting of Luiz and allows Nakamba more freedom to put himself about and get stuck in. So would offer a good balance. 

It offers more control, but with our fullbacks getting forward, we would still be able to play attacking football.

Edited by Philosopher
Had something to add

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

I accept that CH is a decent attacking player.  Indeed, I have suggested a number of times that he could play at "10", either in a 4-4(diamond)-2 or a 4-2-3-1.  One of the best games I have seen him play was when he was playing at "10" off Davis at home v Norwich a few seasons back and he scored a hat trick.  He is a goal threat and has a thunderous left foot.  However, he always looks half hearted in the tackle to me and doesn't have the desire to win the ball back - he looks like he is covering ground and attempting it bit never quite has the conviction.

Lansbury, however, is more aggressive and has more energy, whilst also possessing a goal threat.

Douglas L I am uncertain about as yet, as we haven't seen enough of him in an "8" role to call.  I would like to see him play there. 

I think, as I said previously and I appreciate that you disagree with, both would be better than CH in a three man CM when we are playing a Big 6 club, certainly away from home.

Nice to have a squad that allows us to debate this though!!😉

Lansbury is an interesting idea , I do like his aggressive nature and as you point out it's nice to be debating about our squad. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czechlad said:

If Man U come and give us 60 million for McGinn, I'd take that. 

Absolutely no chance. Unless the start of this season is a flash in the pan. He could likely go on to be a top all-action goal scoring midfielder for the next ten years. That's £100 mil min in my book. In terms of a decade of high quality performance.

I dont even know what the money means now anyway.

If we get £60 million does that mean that we would then spend £60 million more on players than we first would have? It doesn't seem like transfer money is an issue currently.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Disagree. We get an extra player in an advance position, the passing and long range shooting of Luiz and allows Nakamba more freedom to put himself about and get stuck in. So would offer a good balance. 

It offers more control, but with our fullbacks getting forward, we would still be able to play attacking football.

I agree. If an extra sitting CM - who can still get forward at the right time - allows a "10" to get closer to your "9" and your full backs to bomb on more knowing that the "4" can drop in, then the 4-2-3-1 can be just as, if not more, attacking than a 4-3-3.

The key for me is getting players closer to Wes as I think, surprisingly for such a big man, he is a "9" that can link up!

On 11/10/2019 at 12:52, John said:

He's our player now, so I don't care what Pep wants or doesn't want. I think that he will soon become a first team starter for us and that it will take a lot of money for Pep to get him back (assuming he's still there then). 

Surely it would just be the amount of the buy back clause.

56 minutes ago, sne said:

Man City are apparently about to offer Fernandinho a 1 year extension on his contract.

thats probably more to do with the fact he's their primary central defender currently :P

On 12/10/2019 at 13:10, AntrimBlack said:

Surely it would just be the amount of the buy back clause.

Yes, but I doubt that is not a decent sum and it's probably the only way we got the deal done. He will have to be some player (which I suspect he will become) with us to attract them to buy him back, so it's potentially still a bit of a win for us.     

On 11/10/2019 at 21:19, VillaChris said:

He's Brazil under 23 captain isn't he?

Might not be far off a call up for their main team in November given they'll have two more friendlies in that month, would be pretty cool to have a full Brazil international in our squad.

On the one hand if he got called up for Brazil it would be mean he is playing very well for us. On the other hand the more caps he gets the more chance of him being able to get a work permit to return to Man City. 

3 hours ago, John said:

Yes, but I doubt that is not a decent sum and it's probably the only way we got the deal done. He will have to be some player (which I suspect he will become) with us to attract them to buy him back, so it's potentially still a bit of a win for us.     

I am possibly wrong, but I think I read that we bought him for £15m and the buy back clause is £25m. Those figures may be total conjecture, but they do make some sense.

Whatever happens, we get to see him play and develop, and make money on the buyback.

You are right, it is a win win situation for us, the only downside being that we lose him if he proves good enough, and also if he was ours to sell we would make more profit on him.

And we would not have got him without this buyback clause. So we just have to enjoy having him while we do have him.

And this applies to all our players really, because all of the better players could move on at any time unless we as a club are successful enough to keep them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Definitely not! It's very fluid, and I think it would suit us with our current players.

4-3-3 suits us more.

Dean Smith won't change. He's always played 4-3-3 with inside forwards.

There's no reason to chance, he shouldn't change.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

4-3-3 suits us more.

Dean Smith won't change. He's always played 4-3-3 with inside forwards.

There's no reason to chance, he shouldn't change.

Yeah I realise he won't change it, it worked well against Norwich but I think we will receive the same as they did on a few occasions this year because of it............hopefully not to many though.

9 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Yeah I realise he won't change it, it worked well against Norwich but I think we will receive the same as they did on a few occasions this year because of it............hopefully not to many though.

If we try to play an open game against city and Liverpool then yes we well.  I’d be happy for us to park the bus in those games and hit on the break. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Â