Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

15 hours ago, thunderball said:

The whole problem for City was his work permit. That will remain the case. We managed to get him a work permit based on his circumstances at Villa which are quite different to City’s. We managed it, City didn’t.

The only way they will trigger the buy-out point is if he has become a success to the extent that he will be a starter or demand a very high salary - one of the clubs top earners, neither of which are likely given City’s current situation and standing. But if it did arise, it would mean until the window he would our player and likely a very, very good one, so either way we win. If he’s very good for us, great and he likely stays; if he’s one of the best players in Europe he leaves but at a profit and we use him for a while.

The only fear is if a foreign team comes in for him and is willing to pay above the trigger. Man City buy him and immediately trade him. This happens (Engels was similar). It’s good business but bad form, unsure if City would play that card.

Good post, and I hope you are correct, because City rate Luiz highly.

Now they have gone and acquired Rodri to replace Fernandinho, so it makes it less likely that Luiz returns.

Initially there was scope and a view for Douglas Luiz to be the understudy to Fernandinho, I watched a City podcast about Luiz.

I can't remember the ins and outs of it all, but essentially Pep's brother (or close associate) was influential at Luiz's loan club. They were eager to see him develop.

Given the circumstances, it didn't work out the way it had initially been intended and he has moved to us instead, which I'm very pleased with.

With Gundogan and Rodri there, it's going to be sporadic inclusion for Luiz if he is to return to City, which doesn't meet the criteria you outline as necessary for him to go back there.

12 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He does. The player is totally powerless in this situation, and must return to City if they activate the buyback clause.

The players association would not stand for that. In the modern era football is about player power and having a glorified release clause is very unlikely to force Luiz to sign for City. Luiz no longer has a contract with City and therefore he is not bound by our contract with City. Luiz can and will decide where ha ays in the future. He may choose to go back to city or he may not but that is is his choice. 

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

The players association would not stand for that. In the modern era football is about player power and having a glorified release clause is very unlikely to force Luiz to sign for City. Luiz no longer has a contract with City and therefore he is not bound by our contract with City. Luiz can and will decide where ha ays in the future. He may choose to go back to city or he may not but that is is his choice. 

The Players Association have absolutely nothing to do with it. He must go back to City if they activate the clause. That is the purpose of the buy back clause.

3 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

The Players Association have absolutely nothing to do with it. He must go back to City if they activate the clause. That is the purpose of the buy back clause.

The purpose of a buy back clause is so if we get a 60 million pound bid from real. And city want him for their team they get to pay 25 million and offer luiz way more than anyone else would be willing too.

The players association has everything to do with it. It is designed to be in players best interests and part of that is no being forced into moves I'm pretty sure that would be a breach of Premier league regulations to force a player into contract with your team. 

Edited by MotoMkali

22 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

At a guess there are potentially protected clauses in his contract with us that he has already agreed to that if City activate the buy back that any contract with us automatically transfers back to City, rather then agreeing a brand new one. 

• Like 1

Luiz will probably force his way into the team at some stage but for me Hourihane is a few steps further along that path. He offers a little bit more than Luiz at this stage. He helps us sit further up the pitch with his forward runs, plus his not to bad from long distance either .

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

Luiz will probably force his way into the team at some stage but for me Hourihane is a few steps further along that path. He offers a little bit more than Luiz at this stage. He helps us sit further up the pitch with his forward runs, plus his not to bad from long distance either .

Only in games where we are dominating (or at least getting our fair share of) possession.  Against Liverpool and Citeh, as Villalad21 says, I would expect us to be chasing the ball for long periods of time and, in that scenario, CH has a tendency to become a passenger.  I would play Luiz, or even Lansbury, in front of him in those games.

Â