Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

25 minutes ago, Annoyman said:

It could happen. Last time somebody signed an unexpected new contract with us there turned out to be a release clause that let them leave at the next opportunity. Arsenal seem to be properly back and can offer Champions League.

Hopefully it doesn't happen, and certainly not to  Spurs: The Wilderness Years, but we'd be better able to cope with him going now than at most points recently I'd say, and if he wants the move and/or has a release clause the club is probably well on top of it and has a plan

IMG-2962.jpg

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m not feeling worried about Doug going… if he had a release clause, it would have been triggered already. There doesn’t seem many if any vibes that he wants to go. He seems content with us. 

If he does go, we are going to get some good money for him and we have our replacement signed already. 

mum feeling chill about this 

I’d go along with this, he had a very good season last term and if Arsenal still wanted him and there was a reasonable release clause they would surely option it as he is a much better player today than he was last Summer when he was vulnerable.

There is a fear that he was persuaded to re-sign on condition of a low release clause like Delph, and/or Champions League team offer could trigger it, but as suggested it would have been triggered by now?

I think he feels at home here, surely he can see our trajectory and the respect he has at Villa.

Great to see him back in the Brazil squad, he deserves it with his performances recently. I can’t see him leaving Villa any time soon, Arsenal can want him all they want, Doug is happy at Villa. Just look at how he’s played last season leading to this call up and European football, no guarantee he’d even start for Arsenal. 

There is talk of them accepting a bid for Partey and whilst they are different types of players, they will need a body in midfield. Luiz definitely has the attributes to play in arsenal's midfield and would do very well in a midfield with rice, however I think he is on a decent contract here and will be happy to stay. If he goes then I back Emery to get someone as good for us

Release Claus incoming imo.  Him signing a new deal when his contract was running down, when he was open to leaving us for arsenal made no sense at the time - unless we've persuaded him with whatever we could.  Big salary and an exit option seems likely to me.  Hope not obviously 

• Sad 1

The thing with a release clause for me is this, there aren't that many clubs he'd leave here for in terms of his progression - in England that's City, Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal, maybe Newcastle. In Europe, PSG, Real, Barca, Bayern, Inter, Juve and Milan, maybe Atletico, beyond that (and I'm sure I'm missing someone obvious sorry). Ulimtately there aren't that many clubs he'd want to go to.

With that in mind, and an offer on the table from Arsenal that he could easily have accepted, why not just move to Arsenal last summer? Why say no to one of the teams that you would put a release clause in place for and instead stay and put in place a release clause in case they came in with an offer like erm...the offer you already had?

I know Arsenal took a leap forward last season and are perhaps more attractive than they were the season before, but I have a feeling he's not that bothered about moving to a club unless he's very confident that move comes with trophies.

Or, if that's a lot of words, perhaps it's simpler to say;

Spurs? Hahaha!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

With that in mind, and an offer on the table from Arsenal that he could easily have accepted, why not just move to Arsenal last summer? Why say no to one of the teams that you would put a release clause in place for and instead stay and put in place a release clause in case they came in with an offer like erm...the offer you already had?

Well it was the club that rejected the offer wasn't it, not him? Also it was deadline day and we didn't have time to replace him properly.

Arsenal's final bid was £25M supposedly. Wouldn't surprise me if there was a compromise and his new deal has a £30-35M clause.

• Like 1

Luiz is a clever guy. Spurs, with all due respect to them, are way off making a signing like this, so they can immediately be discounted. I think whilst arsenal will be attractive to him, he is waiting for Man City to come back for him in the next few years. There will be a vacancy there as Kovacic is a good player but getting on a bit and he will win stuff their and get a big payrise. Meanwhile he is not in a rush to leave us and is happy playing pretty much every game, getting into the national team and increasing his rep 

• Like 1

If there was a release clause you'd imagine the club would be scrambling for him to sign yet another new contract with higher salary and also no release clause or a much higher one. We are in a totally new position compared to when he signed that last contract even thou it's not that long ago.

Lots of arsenal players in that Brazil squad, be a bit fearful of it becoming another England situation where we lose a player after his head has been turned during internationals

Â