Ezri Konsa

MaVilla

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Under any other England manager of the last 40 odd years I'd say he was nailed on for a well deserved call up to the next squad. Under the happy to contradict himself every 5 minutes prat we have in charge now I am not very confident. 

I know he and Ollie both deserve to be called up, but when I really think about it I don’t want them anywhere near that squad.

Pretty much every Villa player in the last 15 years who got called up got tapped up and left. Southtwat basically told Gresford he had to go to City.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lexicon said:

That outside-of-the-foot pass in the first half 😍

Superb defensive display again and his partnership with Torres is coming along very nicely indeed. We didn't crack after Brighton piled on the pressure at the start of the 2nd half and he was a uni throughout. 

tenor.gif?itemid=17981782&f=1&nofb=1&ipt

If Gareth watched him there and doesn't pick him he might as well give up on England. Really head-scratching that the likes of Guehi and Colwill are in over him. Just can't be better sorry.

Absolutely shut them down almost by himself at times.

His positioning is as good as anybody I've seen play for Villa. Always there to make the interception/block and always has his feet sorted in 1v1. Noticeably more vocal too.

Said it before but I honestly think he's as good as Mellberg and is pushing Laursen. Comfortably the most all-round defender we have had in ages either way.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

If Gareth watched him there and doesn't pick him he might as well give up on England. Really head-scratching that the likes of Guehi and Colwill are in over him. Just can't be better sorry.

His positioning is as good as anybody I've seen play for Villa. Always there to make the interception/block and always has his feet sorted in 1v1. Noticeably more vocal too.

Said it before but I honestly think he's as good as Mellberg and is pushing Laursen. Comfortably the most all-round defender we have had in ages either way.

It's not puzzling at all. Southgate hates us tbh. 

I'm looking forward to Southgate having to choke on his humble pie when he rings Konsa to tell him he's finally made the squad due to the non-availability of Maguire, Mings, Stones, Dunk, Coady, Dier, Pallister, Butcher, Billy **** Wright and Duncan Edwards......only to be told 'I'm playing for Portugal....but thanks anyway bignose'

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Konsa deserves a call up but singling out Colwill and Guehi is odd rather than Maguire and even Dunk. Colwill is one of the best young centre backs in Europe and his progressive passing is exceptional, while Guehi is also a very good young defender who has made Palace's defence one of the best in the league outside the top clubs.

I personally think after Stones it should be Tomori, Guehi and Konsa in that order and then as Colwill gets more experience he should get chances too (he can also play left back where we currently have injuries). Dunk is 32 this year so makes no sense bringing him in now and defensively he's always been a bit of a liability (even though his progressive passing is very strong). Maguire can't get into the Man Utd team despite them having about 6 players injured currently, he should have been out the squad yonks ago. If Southgate continues to select him then he needs to be grilled by every journalist out there.

Konsa deserves to be in though, his defending in 1 v 1 situations is among the best in the league, his leadership skills have improved, and he has always been a good ball carrier for a defender. The only area he can improve is his long progressive passing, if it was as good as Pau's he'd be the complete defender. Though he did play a lovely pass against Brighton with the outside of his foot to Cash.

• Like 2

On 03/10/2023 at 08:00, Leeroy said:

Konsa deserves a call up but singling out Colwill and Guehi is odd rather than Maguire and even Dunk. Colwill is one of the best young centre backs in Europe and his progressive passing is exceptional, while Guehi is also a very good young defender who has made Palace's defence one of the best in the league outside the top clubs.

I personally think after Stones it should be Tomori, Guehi and Konsa in that order and then as Colwill gets more experience he should get chances too (he can also play left back where we currently have injuries). Dunk is 32 this year so makes no sense bringing him in now and defensively he's always been a bit of a liability (even though his progressive passing is very strong). Maguire can't get into the Man Utd team despite them having about 6 players injured currently, he should have been out the squad yonks ago. If Southgate continues to select him then he needs to be grilled by every journalist out there.

Konsa deserves to be in though, his defending in 1 v 1 situations is among the best in the league, his leadership skills have improved, and he has always been a good ball carrier for a defender. The only area he can improve is his long progressive passing, if it was as good as Pau's he'd be the complete defender. Though he did play a lovely pass against Brighton with the outside of his foot to Cash.

Yeah thought Maguire went without saying obviously. I rate Konsa over Guehi but watch the former far more in the flesh. Colwill has potential but I'm not sure that he is, in this moment, a better player. Realistically an international manager should be picking players based on current ability. Dunk I consider one of the best defenders in the league.

I can't remember when, maybe towards the end of Smith and through Gerrard era, my feelings on Konsa weren't particularly great. Used to think he would always hide from responsibility behind Mings and would get away with quite a lot of poor performances. 

Ever since Emery has stepped into the club though Konsa has been absolutely superb. Thanks to proper coaching his level has shot up drastically, comfortably the main man of our defence now. His ability on the ball since Emery took over has improved big time as well. 

Â