Matt Targett

villan-scott

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He played with fans in his first season, where he was scoring last minute winners at VP and go-ahead goals in cup semi-finals. I think he was just in poor form, especially after Grealish left.

Poor form, probably caused by complete lack of confidence. 

Moved to a Newcastle that wanted him and his confidence returned. Turned his form around, although more like what it was the season before last, rather than last season behind closed doors. Solid but not effective (0 assists, 0 goals for a very in form Newcastle)

When an event knocks his confidence he'll revert to the start of this season form.  Gerrard saw it. And was then proven right when he didn't want to hang around and fight for his place. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

I like Targett. I think he's usually solid, and is a very clever passer of the ball, decent crosser as well. What limits him is his lack of pace, and this combined with his lack of trickery means he struggles to create his own space for crossing (when one-on-one with a defender).

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

1.7 xA at Newcastle.

Per game or for the whole time he was there?

That isn't really a badge of honour of its for half a season in a team that had top 6 form for a significant chunk of it.

Solid defensively isn't a bad thing anyway. It's just who he is. As you alluded to, he's too slow to create much himself.. and definitely too slow to work in our system. But he wasn't even remotely solid for us either this season.  We can't carry a player that can go on spells of poor form like that.

He's working at Newcastle in their system though, so good fit all round for him and then. I hope they buy him for 15m+.

16 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Poor form, probably caused by complete lack of confidence. 

Moved to a Newcastle that wanted him and his confidence returned. Turned his form around, although more like what it was the season before last, rather than last season behind closed doors. Solid but not effective (0 assists, 0 goals for a very in form Newcastle)

When an event knocks his confidence he'll revert to the start of this season form.  Gerrard saw it. And was then proven right when he didn't want to hang around and fight for his place. 

The alternate explanation is he had a run of bad form and then a new manager came in who wanted a different kind of fullback to what Smith originally bought Targett to do. And then Gerrard spend big money buying an older player that played the same position but more in the style Gerrard wanted, and Targett was sensible enough to know Gerrard didn't fancy him and even if he was in the form of his life he was still never going to fit into Gerrard's system.

All the accusations of mental weakness seem to be a bit self-serving. If he stays then he's mentally weak because he's content being sat on his arse every week when it's clear he's not going to get minutes from Gerrard. If he goes, he's too mentally weak to stay and pointlessly fight for his place. You can interpret pretty much everything as a sign of mental weakness if you try hard enough.

Ultimately Targett is an old-fashioned defensive fullback. I like the guy, but he wasn't playing well at the start of the season and he was toast as soon as Gerrard walked in and wanted more from him than he'd ever be able to give. He made the right decision going elsewhere - although perhaps now they are safe Newcastle may want more attacking prowess from their fullbacks than Matt can offer too. If that's the case I imagine he'll be an excellent servant for any newly-promoted team or established team that prioritise having a solid defence over dynamism in attack.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I don't think "he just wanted to play football" is a great argument when his challenger hadn't even walked through the door yet. It's not like he'd already been bombed out for half a season and wasn't getting a look in, he should've stayed, fought for a place, and supported the squad. And I've been a big defender of his.

The loan went well though and he's worth £20m. Funny that Newcastle don't seem keen to pay it though even after Howe complimented him, must have doubts or know that's his ceiling.

I always had the feeling they would not go through with the deal. I do hope we did get a hefty loan fee off them, because his performances did contribute to them staying up. Not only will they be playing around with us, they will also be messing around with Matty, if they decide to look elsewhere. He has again proven himself to be a good player up there and I'm sure he would get an offer of a first team spot somewhere else, if they don't take up their option to buy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I like Targett. I think he's usually solid, and is a very clever passer of the ball, decent crosser as well. What limits him is his lack of pace, and this combined with his lack of trickery means he struggles to create his own space for crossing (when one-on-one with a defender).

If you go back to the very start of the thread, I’m sure that’s exactly what the Southampton fans said about him. 

40 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He couldn't cross for shit, that's a big reason we upgraded. I remember Smith using him as a winger and he was awful, always over hitting crosses.

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He couldn't cross for shit, that's a big reason we upgraded. I remember Smith using him as a winger and he was awful, always over hitting crosses.

He wasn't great at the traditional whipped cross in the air. But he could drill it into feet into dangerous areas, both when passing forwards and when out wide picking someone out in the area.

I think the roomy is actually that he might not want to sign for Newcastle as wants to live closer to the south. I do think they will actually bid for him, as can see them targeting more than one left-back as before he joined them they were having to play Matt Ritchie at left-back, if not Wolves, Fulham, Leeds, and Brighton have all been linked, have no doubt that we will get plenty of offers.

'No doubt that we will get plenty of offers.' Heart-Hands-Emoji.png  he's a decent Premier League left-back, good enough for us, just makes more sense for us to have someone younger.

9 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Didn't even recall those,  but do recall him falling apart when fans returned to stadiums, he lost the protection Jack Grealish offered, and scarpered the second someone supposedly better than him came to the club. 

Call it no bottle, call it Targett being a massive confidence player and having none left. Either way,  it's a bit weak willed and not something Gerrard has said he wants around the club. 

I was saying at the time of the WuFlu (to anyone who would listen and that isn't many to be fair 😃) that Targett's best form happening with empty stadiums wasn't a coincidence.  I like the bloke and he seems like a nice person, but I honestly think he's badly affected by the pressure of a negative crowd or even comment from a crowd.  He did well at Newcastle as he was loved there because he was a massive upgrade on what they had.  But I also remember his pre-covid season with us how many times he went off injured only to miraculously recover for the next match.  And in each case, we were losing and/or playing poorly when he went off.  Watford away this past season, the first match back with full crowds, he was absolutely woeful.... 

56 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

I was saying at the time of the WuFlu (to anyone who would listen and that isn't many to be fair 😃) that Targett's best form happening with empty stadiums wasn't a coincidence.  I like the bloke and he seems like a nice person, but I honestly think he's badly affected by the pressure of a negative crowd or even comment from a crowd.  He did well at Newcastle as he was loved there because he was a massive upgrade on what they had.  But I also remember his pre-covid season with us how many times he went off injured only to miraculously recover for the next match.  And in each case, we were losing and/or playing poorly when he went off.  Watford away this past season, the first match back with full crowds, he was absolutely woeful.... 

Newcastles expectations next season are going to rise 100% if he couldnt handle it here he wont there either. They are going to be under huge pressure next year to perform as no doubt heavy investment 

• Like 1

This is not looking good for us if Targett returns. A completely stupid and idiotic loan move with no obligation to buy 

Just as people said in January when loaning to a rival 

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

This is not looking good for us if Targett returns. A completely stupid and idiotic loan move with no obligation to buy 

Just as people said in January when loaning to a rival 

Were Newcastle our rivals? For what? 10th place?

It was a good move - he wouldn't have got game time, he played plenty. If anything, we are getting either a more experienced player, or we have advertised our asset to other potential buyers.

It's a win win for everyone. 

• Like 1

Â