Matt Targett

villan-scott

Maybe 'the Chronicle' are just making the fee up' I don't think they're anymore reliable than the Birmingham Mail and are just as clickbaity, and if one reads the article it says 'about £15m', I wouldn't be surprised if they're just guessing that Newcastle will sign him, which seems reasonable to presume, but have also guessed at the transfer fee.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Maybe 'the Chronicle' are just making the fee up' I don't think they're anymore reliable than the Birmingham Mail and are just as clickbaity, and if one reads the article it says 'about £15m', I wouldn't be surprised if they're just guessing that Newcastle will sign him, which seems reasonable to presume, but have also guessed at the transfer fee.

Just checked his guessed value on Transfermarkt and its 15.30m, there you go, total nonsense.

We don’t know the details of the loan, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a £5m loan fee and £15m option. That would represent a decent deal for all parties. Although as it’s Newcastle I’d have preferred it to total more like £25m in total, but them getting Trippier for such a reasonable fee early in the window set the tone. That was a very good signing for many reasons. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, abdomlahor said:

I think £15m is a fair fee personally 

That's essentially what we paid for him 2.5 years back.  He is now an established PL player, our player of the season last year and playing really well for Newcastle who are rolling in cash.  Remember how Bournemouth  heldout for 24M from us for  Mings ? That's how you do business.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

£15m is a fair fee for anyone but Newcastle (and maybe city). The best strategy any other club can adopt to them is to overinflate the asking prices for any players they want to buy. I wouldn’t sell targett to them for any less than £30m 

41 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

We don’t know the details of the loan, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it was a £5m loan fee and £15m option. That would represent a decent deal for all parties. Although as it’s Newcastle I’d have preferred it to total more like £25m in total, but them getting Trippier for such a reasonable fee early in the window set the tone. That was a very good signing for many reasons. 

1) it's probably rubbish clickbait

2) what Rich said. There will be a loan fee, and if a purchase price has been agreed, it will take account of the loan fee - as well as other factors (like relegation, and the difference between an option and obligation to buy).

3) players often get payments in the case of a transfer, which will affect the price too - hence the fuss and "making a transfer request". Targett seems to have pushed for this, so might therefore forego any payment from us - again affecting the fee.

• Like 1

The link has come from a website that is pro jawdees. The clickbait link they've given only works if the deal seems like an attractive one to the people they're trying to attract to the website. It has to be full of "news" that's positive for the fans.

If we do sell, I suspect it may be more than the £15m being quoted, but could realistically be one that we'll never know in so much that the value is never officially released to the media. I suspect Newcastle will do that with any player they sign from English clubs where the buy out clause isn't known.

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Who else realistically will buy Targett?

certainly not for 15m

but agree with what others said, we should be looking to take them to the cleaners

They will probably sign Targett.

form. If you have him and Trippier as your fullbacks neither are particularly quick or energetic. They a solid defensive or supporting fullbacks, if you ask them to attack and provide the width they get exposed. For Gerrard neither suit his tactical ideals. 

For Newcastle they suit them. Solid defense, decent delivery, reliable. Chris Wood is a good target for deep crosses.

They will probably sign Targett. They won't be able to change things tactically too much preseason. But for the two seasons Trippier has left in him at this level Targett offers good balance for the other flank.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

£15m is great business for a bang average full back. He was never going to be first choice moving forward. 

Bang average enough to be player of the season in a team containing Grealish, Martinez and McGinn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Bang average enough to be player of the season in a team containing Grealish, Martinez and McGinn. 

And who massively regressed once crowds came back. He’s simply not good enough for where we want to be - not a team scrapping to survive like in that team - a team with loftier ambitions. We can’t let sentimentality get in the way of progress. 

Edited by The_Steve

1 hour ago, Steero113 said:

Because he played consistently well and is well liked in the squad. Grealish missed half the season and mcginn was shite. Martinez was fans PoTY and was clearly a class above 

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

And who massively regressed once crowds came back. He’s simply not good enough for where we want to be - not a team scrapping to survive like in that team - a team with loftier ambitions. We can’t let sentimentality get in the way of progress. 

I dont understand the crowd opinion which has been used as a bash against him all season. He has gone to play in a bigger crowd and is not having any issues

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We are probably three seasons away from Newcastle finishing above us every single season.

It would be very stupid to sell Targett to them for £15m.

Â