Matt Targett

villan-scott

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh, if he is playing behind ASM on the left, he might have the chance to be in a similar position to when Grealish was here, as in teams will double up on ASM due to his quality, leaving Targett more time and space, and have "slightly" less concern about being overloaded by opposition attackers.

Maybe. He struggled in his first season with us and he looks to have returned to that same player.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why was it ok for Targett to be number 1 with Young as cover but a disaster now it’s Digne with Young as cover?

Am I missing something ? It’s for 17 games! 

People need to relax.

I don't think anybody would complain if we had held a clearly desperate Newcastle to ransom and demanded a hefty fee !

But a proven PL player, last year's player of season, for a loan ????

Which club has the better deal here ?

• Like 2

Just now, hippo said:

I don't think anybody would complain if we had held a clearly desperate Newcastle to ransom and demanded a hefty fee !

But a proven PL player, last year's player of season, for a loan ????

Which club has the better deal here ?

Seriously who cares? The lad wanted to leave and a deal was reached. You lot moan over the strangest things. 

I'm genuinely annoyed by this move.  why help strengthen Newcastle with loan deals.  its crazy.  we also leave ourselves with no cover at left wing back again, and no Young is not good enough cover there and none of the cb's can cover the way Gérard plays with high wing backs.  ludicrous.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

The way some of you lot treat our players is awful and I wish you would **** off to Newcastle.  Surely the spineless thing to do would be sit on our bench and collect a paycheck.  He wants to play football and that isn't happening here any time soon.  

But in fairness its not about the player its about the club, and I don’t believe the club or manager wanted him to leave, the deal struck favours only Newcastle which is strange in itself (not sure how we didn’t at least get a decent fee from it given their desperation). I would guess that is what most of the negative voices around this issue is about.

Targett was rewarded with a new deal, the club committed to him. To be blunt he didn’t turn up this season in terrific form, which may have its reasons, but despite this I really dont think the club wanted rid when Digne was signed so you have to assume Targett had the hump, wasnt prepared to try and wanted out on his terms. I guess that’s why some suggest he has no back bone? 

But of more concern - what if Newcastle ship a load of goals, Targett continues his indifferent form and his ego gets a kicking in front of vocal, disgruntled and expectant Newcastle supporters. He returns back to us with his reputation and value worse than before he left. How does that benefit anyone? We now have a 36 y.o. as deputy who couldn’t oust Targett. I can only assume the club were sufficiently dismayed by his attitude that they wanted him away from the club. Imagine if Sanson, Nakamba, Luiz, Ramsey, Bailey, Traore or Ings had that attitude?

• Like 1

My personal opinion, this deal says more about Targett than Villa. 

He has no chance in hell of shifting Digne out of the starting IX, and I think Young will be fine as cover if needed. Young has a much nastier and determined streak to him  along with some top drawer shit-housery.

All the time Targett has been here he’s had 1 good season in my eyes. He did nothing but pull splinters out of his arse at Southampton. 

If Newcastle think Targett is the answer, then what the feck was the question? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

can only assume the club were sufficiently dismayed by his attitude that they wanted him away from the club. Imagine if Sanson, Nakamba, Luiz, Ramsey, Bailey, Traore or Ings had that attitude?

None of us know, but from the impression I have of him - he's a bit bland and too nice to have a bad attitude.  I think the football equivalent of "musical differences" with what he's been asked to do is more likely.  And that the club have seen sufficient financial benefit to let the deal happen

• Like 1

Good luck to him if he wants to play football, he's good enough to play first team football in the Premier League.

I'm not going to slate someone that wants to go and play after some of the leaches we have had that were happy to sit on the bench and milk the club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why was it ok for Targett to be number 1 with Young as cover but a disaster now it’s Digne with Young as cover?

Am I missing something ? It’s for 17 games! 

People need to relax.

It wasn’t, which is why we were looking at a left back in the first place? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyway it’s done now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Hes a very solid PL left back, just because he doesn't suit the way Gerrard wants the full backs to play it doesn't mean that he has suddenly become a bad player. Very sensible signing by them, which is annoying

Correct. Very unlike Newcastle.

Burn is also a sensible signing.

I was expecting signings like Balotelli and George Weah's cousin

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

We need to see the numbers. Tbh I don't really care what Targett wanted playing wise. It has to be financially in our favour for this move to go through. 

Or else this was just a stupid move. 

Of course it is financially beneficial to us. We don't need to see the numbers. Toon will be paying a fee and wages.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The way some of you lot treat our players is awful and I wish you would **** off to Newcastle.  Surely the spineless thing to do would be sit on our bench and collect a paycheck.  He wants to play football and that isn't happening here any time soon.  

That's fair, but also all it takes is 1 injury or suspension and he's back on track. Digne isn't Roberto Carlos, he can easily win his shirt back. I guess you could argue he fled at the first sign of hardship.

• Like 2

Â