Matt Targett

villan-scott

is he good enough to challenge digne? no. is he good enough to take us to the top half/top 6? no. would he improve them though? 100% yes. so we should absolutely not do this deal.

defensively they are a shambles. need to make sure we don't help to remedy that.

whomever we're in the market for in the summer i.e. bissouma, they will be our rivals for each of those signatures. and they will win that bidding war every single time. whilst i think they will stay up, i'd hate to feel that we contributed to that and i'd judge the recruitment team a little bit if we did

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Well, Villa's success very obviously does not depend on loaning out Matt Targett, don't be ridiculous.

If selling Targett to Toon puts Villa in a better position then we should do it. Making Villa progress is the most important thing. I don't give a f**k about Toon and I don't give a f**k how beneficial or otherwise Targett would be for them. If it benefits us then we should all want it to happen

• Like 1

If it happens, I expect the loan fee to be substantial and for them to cover his wages. I don’t think we’d agree to it unless we greatly benefitted from the deal…

Maybe an option or obligation to buy at an inflated price too.

Might help us complete another deal or two…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

If selling Targett to Toon puts Villa in a better position then we should do it. Making Villa progress is the most important thing. I don't give a f**k about Toon and I don't give a f**k how beneficial or otherwise Targett would be for them. If it benefits us then we should all want it to happen

And how does it put us in a better position ? If Digne goes over on his ankle during the week, where we then ?

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

You'll give a **** when they stay up and offer Brighton 5m more than us for bissouma (as just 1 example)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

And how does it put us in a better position ? If Digne goes over on his ankle during the week, where we then ?

If we can make a big profit on Targett it puts us in a better place for new players and with FFP. NSWE can''t keep taking their wallet out, AVFC needs to start making a profit. We have Digne in as first choice and Ash, Chambers, and Mings can each cover LB if necessary

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

You'll give a **** when they stay up and offer Brighton 5m more than us for bissouma (as just 1 example)

I won't. If Toon want to waste money that is up to them. I am more concerned about Villa than Toon. There are a lot more DCMs out there than Bissouma. Toon wanted Digne as their LB, we got him and now the media are suggesting we can offload our LB that Digne took the shirt from to Toon. Happy Days!

I wouldn’t think Targett would be instrumental or key in Newcastle staying up if he joined them… 

Again, I’m sure we wouldn’t let him leave unless it was of great benefit to us. Financially, at least. Loan fees can be hefty nowadays…

Might also work well in the sense that Matt will get a run of games (that he wouldn’t get here) and maybe even return to us a better player and be able to play a part and compete with Digne next season?

We aren’t playing many games really, in no other competitions other than the league… Young could provide adequate cover.

Or we sell him for a great price and profit.

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jas10

Sad fall from grace for Mr. Player of the Year.

In all seriousness, not sure what would be the point of a loan.

If we were to sell him, I'd take 20m which I know will ruffle some people's feathers. He's a decent player, but he really was never that good or irreplaceable. 20m is fine for a backup lb and to put it into context, that's about the fee Digne went to us for.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

It’s hard not to be sentimental or attached to our players, especially those that have been with us for a while and made a significant contribution in our progress.

But, we have to keep moving forwards and improving, upgrading when and where possible while also managing the finances.

We have to phase out the lower quality players and keep bringing in higher quality in order to become a stronger and more successful team. Players that are unlikely to improve or have “hit their ceiling” too.

Yes, we need a squad but if the opportunities are there to bring in significant fees and make profits on players then they should always be considered.

This doesn’t necessarily apply to Targett in particular, especially when it’s just a loan (for which we will receive a fee) but generally is an approach or view we’d need to have if we really want to be successful and become more of a force in the PL at least, let alone be involved in European competitions.

Sometimes I feel like the transfer activity is obscuring the fact that we are struggling to compete and place ourselves in the top half of that table. We need to do better (and hopefully will, especially as/while we are enhancing the team) and the competition is fierce.

Just becoming a top 6 team again (which is how I’ve generally regarded us over the time that I’ve supported the club) is a fairly monumental task! Let’s start by finishing in the top 10 and go from there…

I just don't think we can keep up with Newcastle regardless if we sell them Targett or don't. 

I don't think it will make any difference.

They will keep blowing everyone out of the water in the coming transfer windows.

Such is the reality when you are getting taken over by an Oil State. It shouldn't be allowed, sport washing at it's finest.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Anyone know the terms of this rumour? It doesn’t make sense to me?

An inflated sale, yes.

A loan with obligation to buy at an inflated price, yes.

A deal that facilitates say Hickey joining, yes.

A loan that only improves Newcastle and helps keep them up, and at the same time weakens our squad, no.

Oil state  Newcastle are an existential threat to everyone in the division, the whole of the PL, barring MC, held a meeting about it (framed as a concern around civil rights issues), so why help them out when we are the closest to top eight and have most to lose? We tried to sell Grealish at the 11th hour to stop MCs dominance, this is basically the same? Keeping Newcastle in the Championship for a season gives us a years head start, we will be fishing in the same pond and coming off second best for a time if they stay up.

Makes zero sense?

Edited by thunderball

Â