Matt Targett

villan-scott

9 hours ago, thabucks said:

Be interesting if toon firm up their rumoured interest this January - cannot see him giving up that easily and jumping Tyneside but guess £££ may be decisive. 

We wouldn't take the risk and let him go. Plus we want Newcastle to be relegated

41 minutes ago, RichW said:

I'd imagine no chance he goes in this window but I think he would be very much a player they would target in the summer (if they stop up). Should be able to sell him for a profit. 

I see what you did there 🙂

• Like 1

We aren't in a position where we need nor want to sell, I think he'll still get plenty of opportunities to fight for his place, against certain teams I'm sure Gerrard will take a horses for courses approach, and then of course there's injuries and suspensions.

So unless they offer us a good chunk above the market value, or he decides to force the issue, I'm not sure we'll be letting him go in this window.

2 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Based on that scything lunge from Digne against Man U, which reminded me of some of the tackles I saw playing in the South Birmingham Sunday League division 4 many years back, he’ll certainly be needed to cover for suspensions.

that was one of the worst attempts at a tackles ive ever seen.😂 wasnt even close to getting the ball!

Every player has his price so whilst everyone is frantically posting about building a squad, if we receive £30m+ for Targett and put that towards say, Bissouma, then I'd be all for it. 

The bigger discussion here is, do we want to deal with Newcastle? It is massively beneficial to us if they go down this year because if they don't, they'll have their sights on a top 8 finish next year if they spend big. 
Selling them Targett will improve them, without question. He's not amazing, but he's better than what they have. 

Personally, the price to Newcastle would be upwards of £40m because...well, why the hell not!

1 hour ago, Villaphil said:

I’d imagine we’d take £25m and then buy Hickey from Bologna???

We can't sell Targett this window and Newcastle will aim higher in summer if they stay up

Edited by CVByrne

The club surely understands what it wants the squad to look like next year, and the year after that. This would include players coming through the youth set up and when they need to go out on loan.

If Targett isn't an integral part of the first team squad next season, and we can get good value for him now - then we should to sell. FFP might be crap, but it hasn't gone away. Getting (say) £20m now, plus his £40k-odd a week wages off the books will free up budget that can be put to better use.
Keeping him won't just cost his salary - but his value will probably only go down from here, so the next 6 months might actually cost us £6m, if his value drops.

And good luck to him.

As much as shafting Newcastle sounds like fun - the right decision for Aston Villa should be the only decision we have to make.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We can't sell Targett this window and Newcastle will aim higher in summer if they stay up

In effect we upgrade from Targett and Young, to Digne and Hickey for c.£16m.  Additionally it means Young can cover / challenge further forward.

2 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

The club surely understands what it wants the squad to look like next year, and the year after that. This would include players coming through the youth set up and when they need to go out on loan.

If Targett isn't an integral part of the first team squad next season, and we can get good value for him now - then we should to sell. FFP might be crap, but it hasn't gone away. Getting (say) £20m now, plus his £40k-odd a week wages off the books will free up budget that can be put to better use.
Keeping him won't just cost his salary - but his value will probably only go down from here, so the next 6 months might actually cost us £6m, if his value drops.

And good luck to him.

As much as shafting Newcastle sounds like fun - the right decision for Aston Villa should be the only decision we have to make.

clearly a judgement decision for Gerrard, but as a matter of principle, I have no problem selling Newcastle a player we deem to be no longer of the required level, particularly for a nice profit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

If we're trying to build a solid squad then we shouldn't even be considering selling Targett.

Exactly this. Over the previous two seasons since we came back up to the PL, Neil Taylor and Elmohamady probably played about 60 games combined. We need the cover at full back to be of a high standard going forward, which Targett provides.

If he wants to leave and be first choice elsewhere then that's different and up to him, but we shouldn't be actively looking to move him on.

• Like 1

Â