Matt Targett

villan-scott

I like Targett. He was very solid and reliable last season in a system that suited him. He is a good player to have in the squad, and you can tell he is a good man. 

The problem with him is his pace and energy aren't good enough for him to be played in the marauding way a modern fullback is expected to play. Hence when we put Luiz as the left CDM and had him be more cautious with his forays forward he looked far better. Problem is if you play with inverted wide players then you need the left back to overlap and provide the width.

If you line up with two DM'S then they can cover for for the fullbacks and they can either be even more attacking (more like traditional wingers, or defensive wingers). However with Targett the two DM'S was to cover his weakness. We saw when he played wing back that he isn't effective played like that which further confirms my analysis. As the modern fullback plays more like a wingback. 

For me Targett is a player you draft in if you're expecting to have less ball and counter and expect the opposition to have more aerial threat. As Targett is good in the air (for a fullback), and tucks in nicely when defending with a very narrow block. Targett is fine in one on one's when facing up to the attacker with back up behind him. But as soon as he gets isolated he struggles, and he lacks the speed and agility to be effective in making recovery tackles and blocks like Cash does.

But if we expect to have similar or more ball, and / or the opposition are very quick and strong on the counter he becomes a weakness that can be easily exploited.

We need a left footed Cash! This is something I expect Gerrard will want to address as one of his main priorities in term of transfers.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I like Targett. He was very solid and reliable last season in a system that suited him. He is a good player to have in the squad, and you can tell he is a good man. 

The problem with him is his pace and energy aren't good enough for him to be played in the marauding way a modern fullback is expected to play. Hence when we put Luiz as the left CDM and had him be more cautious with his forays forward he looked far better. Problem is if you play with inverted wide players then you need the left back to overlap and provide the width.

If you line up with two DM'S then they can cover for for the fullbacks and they can either be even more attacking (more like traditional wingers, or defensive wingers). However with Targett the two DM'S was to cover his weakness. We saw when he played wing back that he isn't effective played like that which further confirms my analysis. As the modern fullback plays more like a wingback. 

For me Targett is a player you draft in if you're expecting to have less ball and counter and expect the opposition to have more aerial threat. As Targett is good in the air (for a fullback), and tucks in nicely when defending with a very narrow block. Targett is fine in one on one's when facing up to the attacker with back up behind him. But as soon as he gets isolated he struggles, and he lacks the speed and agility to be effective in making recovery tackles and blocks like Cash does.

But if we expect to have similar or more ball, and / or the opposition are very quick and strong on the counter he becomes a weakness that can be easily exploited.

We need a left footed Cash! This is something I expect Gerrard will want to address as one of his main priorities in term of transfers.

Agree with most of this, but Cash has plenty of limitations himself.

• Like 1

If we did lose Targett, the main thing I'll miss is his ability to spot a pass into a dangerous area and then drill it along the ground into feet, he's superb at this. Although we've not seen too much of that this season either.

21 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

If we did lose Targett, the main thing I'll miss is his ability to spot a pass into a dangerous area and then drill it along the ground into feet, he's superb at this. Although we've not seen too much of that this season either.

Yeah, its mainly been jogging about like a camp T Rex and then playing a ball straight to the opposition and getting overrun on counterattacks.

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Made to look better than he is by Grealish. 

Behind the obvious need for one or two centre mids, targett will be the next to be replaced. 

100% agree, for me he has been our worst player, he is constantly out of position and for last few seasons his work ethic has got him away with this, but this season has looked lazy a times

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I’ve sometimes wondered whether he might ultimately be better as a CM for this reason 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Henry: 

“You know what, people don’t know this,” Henry told Brentford’s YouTube channel. “(I supported) Aston Villa because my dad supported them.

“I went on trial at Villa and didn’t get signed so my dad stopped supporting them. So we were kind of forced to watch Birmingham. It was crazy.”

Henry played Villa whilst the club was in the Championship, and he’s also featured against Blues on four occasions for the Bees without success.

“I’m quite detached now,” he added. “Brentford is my team and you don’t want to think about other clubs. Now I don’t really support anyone.”

How pathetic! Comedy gold ! Who’s is dad ? Lenny ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Behind the obvious need for one or two centre mids, targett will be the next to be replaced. 

But we were the Matty Targett fan club? Have you given up on him? 😢

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

No chance. He performed well when Grealish was out the team. If anything the pressure on our FB's has been compounded by the lack of support, either from our lazy wide players or due to system changes.

Player of the year last season and wrote off this. Typical. 

12 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

No chance. He performed well when Grealish was out the team. If anything the pressure on our FB's has been compounded by the lack of support, either from our lazy wide players or due to system changes.

Player of the year last season and wrote off this. Typical. 

Who’s written him off? I think he’s a decent player but in order to improve, we’ll need to replace every single player in the current team eventually. 

Im just saying that I think left back looks the obvious area to upgrade behind central midfield. 

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Who’s written him off? I think he’s a decent player but in order to improve, we’ll need to replace every single player in the current team eventually. 

Im just saying that I think left back looks the obvious area to upgrade behind central midfield. 

Maybe I misinterpreted your post so apologies. I don't think Targett needs replacing though because I think he can upgrade himself. I think watching him last season it is plain to see he has another gear or two in his locker. Gerrard just needs to get that out of him. I think personally we need players to challenge both FBs though as we aren't fully/sufficiently covered in those areas, so I can agree with that

I think however, the CM(which most agree) and back up keeper are the most pressing of priorities. I would then look at the FBs, CB and LF positions following on from the midfield in that order. 

Given time I wouldn't be surprised to see those doubted as being those to step up under Gerrard. Targett, Buendia and McGinn for starters. I think one or two tweaks could make a huge difference to what we have been dished up recently.

• Like 1

I’m a bit concerned for his longer term future with the club if SG is looking to play a similar style to what he used at Rangers, that relied on the full backs providing the width in attack and if our dabble with 3-5-2 this season showed us anything, it was that Targett is pretty limited as our sole option on the left flank.

Im not writing him off, we’ve got to wait and see how things play out but if I had to put money on it I think we will see Young come into the team at LB until we purchase a new LB either in January or most likely in the summer.

Of course it remains to be seen which formation is used, we are speculating at the end of the day before a ball has even been kicked during Gerrard’s reign.

Â