Fixing Villa Park - All the small things

OutByEaster?

• 2 weeks later...

These days I usually sit in the Trinity Road Stand, and every time I go the queue to get through the turnstile gets longer and longer.

Thursday night it was huge. The whole road was full of snaking queues to get through the turnstiles. Took about half an hour to get in.

I have no idea what the solution is, but it's very shit at the moment

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

It's because @OutByEaster? won't use his Apple Wallet :mrgreen:

There were a lot of people who were absolutely baffled at using their phone to get in. Trying to tap a QR code or scan something in their Apple wallet. 

Come on guys, I need a pint!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, limpid said:

It's because @OutByEaster? won't use his Apple Wallet :mrgreen:

You joke but it's quite clear a significant proportion of the villa going public don't understand how, don't know they need, or (as per OBE) simply don't want, to use a mobile wallet for their ticket.

If we assume those on this board are more likely than the average to use a phone wallet, then, and one of our isn't, then the 40k going to the game will present thousands that won't be doing it for one reason or another. 

It was also the first game they had stopped screenshots from emails working so will no doubt have added a lot of delays as people then would have had classic Villa Park signal to contend with to get the original ticket back up on their phone.

Fixing the small things should include providing signal/wifi at the whole ground, not just the GA+ seats. As the Holte End expected it would when surveyed.

Edited by MrBlack

Mobile wallets are no quicker than a paper ticket.

For the mobile wallet, you get your phone out, you unlock it, you open the thing on the phone where the ticket is, you open the ticket, you show it at the turnstile.

For the ticket, you pull it out of your pocket, you unfold it, you show it at the turnstile.

The problem area on entry is people who produce the wrong ticket on their phone, or try to get in with their season ticket, or those that wait until they're blocking the way before trying to figure out how to find both their own ticket and the two kids they brought with them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mobile wallets are no quicker than a paper ticket.

For the mobile wallet, you get your phone out, you unlock it, you open the thing on the phone where the ticket is, you open the ticket, you show it at the turnstile.

For the ticket, you pull it out of your pocket, you unfold it, you show it at the turnstile.

The problem area on entry is people who produce the wrong ticket on their phone, or try to get in with their season ticket, or those that wait until they're blocking the way before trying to figure out how to find both their own ticket and the two kids they brought with them.

Yes, there are lots of people who do the driving equivalent of putting their car into gear well after the traffic light is green.  

Edited by Stephen_Evans
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You get out your phone, look at it to unlock, tap the notification for the match ticket and hold the back of your phone to the reader. The gate clunks.

You can do it in a couple of seconds even while holding your bottle of pop with the lid hidden in your coat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

You get out your phone, look at it to unlock, tap the notification for the match ticket and hold the back of your phone to the reader. The gate clunks.

You can do it in a couple of seconds even while holding your bottle of pop with the lid hidden in your coat.

Exactly. About the same time as pulling out a piece of paper and holding it against the reader.

• Like 3

The queing was insane last thursday, i had to do a detour around the ground as the police were blocking the gate next to the north stand near the away end, i'd never seen anything like it tbh, crowds snaking all the way past the mcgregor statue and all the way down the road.... it seems to always be on european nights that we have these ques, was the same for Hibs early in the season and then they seemed to dissapate for the zrinski game but i think for legia and this one they were back again. Hopefully the club can come up with something to remedy it as it delays people getting into the ground, we dont want to become like the hammers and have excessive delays at point of entry on match day!

40 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

The queing was insane last thursday, i had to do a detour around the ground as the police were blocking the gate next to the north stand near the away end, i'd never seen anything like it tbh, crowds snaking all the way past the mcgregor statue and all the way down the road.... it seems to always be on european nights that we have these ques, was the same for Hibs early in the season and then they seemed to dissapate for the zrinski game but i think for legia and this one they were back again. Hopefully the club can come up with something to remedy it as it delays people getting into the ground, we dont want to become like the hammers and have excessive delays at point of entry on match day!

Partly because there are no season ticket holders as such on European games, they are just like everyone having to scan their individual ticket.  And they aren’t used to scanning individual tickets as they usually have their season ticket card. 

Also the club did send an email to everyone asking them to get in the ground early as there would be queues and the best way to minimise queues.

Do the club have staff outside the turnstiles? Kind of like if you go to a gig, there will be a handful of staff members telling you to get your tickets/bags etc. ready for inspection. I always find that acts as a bit of a reminder to people to get themselves ready. It also helps people who are confused as they can ask for help away from the turnstile itself.

1 hour ago, PeterSw said:

Do the club have staff outside the turnstiles? Kind of like if you go to a gig, there will be a handful of staff members telling you to get your tickets/bags etc. ready for inspection. I always find that acts as a bit of a reminder to people to get themselves ready. It also helps people who are confused as they can ask for help away from the turnstile itself.

Only the ones doing searches.

Sorry if this isn't the right thread. I care for my uncle and attend games with him. He may need a mobility scooter. We sit in the doug ellis M5. Is there anywhere in the ground we can leave this? He's fine getting to his seat but struggles with the walk to/from the ground. Any help would be appreciated. I've contacted AVFCSupport on twitter but had no response. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 12:12, Stevo985 said:

These days I usually sit in the Trinity Road Stand, and every time I go the queue to get through the turnstile gets longer and longer.

Thursday night it was huge. The whole road was full of snaking queues to get through the turnstiles. Took about half an hour to get in.

I have no idea what the solution is, but it's very shit at the moment

This is good to know. I'm going to my first game since a pre season friendly against Fiorentina in 2009!

• 2 weeks later...
Â