Fixing Villa Park - All the small things

OutByEaster?

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think that in the future they'll use the AVFC app combined with the wallet on your device. I don't want to carry a card. I've not carried a physical wallet since before covid.

I also haven't used a physical wallet for a couple of years and pay for everything using Google pay on my phone. I don't find it much hassle to shove my ST cards in my pocket, although I obviously need to remember them before leaving home. Can you add an ST card to Google wallet so you don't need the card at the turnstile for PL games?

1 hour ago, brommy said:

I also haven't used a physical wallet for a couple of years and pay for everything using Google pay on my phone. I don't find it much hassle to shove my ST cards in my pocket, although I obviously need to remember them before leaving home. Can you add an ST card to Google wallet so you don't need the card at the turnstile for PL games?

Not yet. I suspect next year there might be a (small) discount for not having a card. I am not basing this on any inside knowledge.

It's odd that people don't know that this would use NFC - if you add it to the wallet, the wallet doesn't show the QR code, but will pop a notification about an hour before the game which you can tap to open it directly in the wallet and tap - at least that's how my Android works, I guess that if we were in London with Oyster everywhere, people would be more likely to know this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, limpid said:

Not yet. I suspect next year there might be a (small) discount for not having a card. I am not basing this on any inside knowledge.

It's odd that people don't know that this would use NFC - if you add it to the wallet, the wallet doesn't show the QR code, but will pop a notification about an hour before the game which you can tap to open it directly in the wallet and tap - at least that's how my Android works, I guess that if we were in London with Oyster everywhere, people would be more likely to know this.

I would imagine that at least 50% of people going through the turnstiles wouldn't know what NFC was, so we'd need a fair bit of user education. I'm not old (I'm not young either but I'm not old) and I work in IT, but I still don't trust using NFC and carrying my ticket in my wallet - still took a paper backup to both European games so far! More a scepticism about villa's capabilities for using tech that works than a comment on Google wallet or NFC in general though. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blunther said:

I would imagine that at least 50% of people going through the turnstiles wouldn't know what NFC was, so we'd need a fair bit of user education. I'm not old (I'm not young either but I'm not old) and I work in IT, but I still don't trust using NFC and carrying my ticket in my wallet - still took a paper backup to both European games so far! More a scepticism about villa's capabilities for using tech that works than a comment on Google wallet or NFC in general though. 

Then the people that fit your description won't get the discount (if it happens). Knowing how the club seems to be working at the moment, they might offer more of the irrelevant loyalty points each time you use NFC. People don;'t need to know it's NFC, they just need to know the ticket is in their phone and they need to unlock and tap, like they do to pay for stuff.

It's worked 100% for the people I know that have used it. It's quicker, more reliable and you don't need to protect bits of paper or hold your (expensive) phone at a funny angle during a period of performance anxiety. You don't need a mobile signal after you've added it to your wallet, which you can do well in advance. The technology is simple and well established - see Oyster. The club hasn't invented their own version of NFC - all the clever bits happen when you add the ticket to your wallet - all the NFC reader does is return "valid / not valid".

I can only see a downside if the club tries to do it unilaterally. Some people won't have suitable devices or have other difficulties in using NFC for whatever reason. In the last generation you could spot technophobes by the blinking clocks on their VCRs. I suspect in this generation it'll be the people that still think carrying bits of paper and plastic is good. But this part of the discussion is for elsewhere on the site.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, limpid said:

Pffft. They'll be an additional fee for having a physical season card and then a 10% surcharge for having to use it each time at this rate. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, limpid said:

Then the people that fit your description won't get the discount (if it happens). Knowing how the club seems to be working at the moment, they might offer more of the irrelevant loyalty points each time you use NFC. People don;'t need to know it's NFC, they just need to know the ticket is in their phone and they need to unlock and tap, like they do to pay for stuff.

It's worked 100% for the people I know that have used it. It's quicker, more reliable and you don't need to protect bits of paper or hold your (expensive) phone at a funny angle during a period of performance anxiety. You don't need a mobile signal after you've added it to your wallet, which you can do well in advance. The technology is simple and well established - see Oyster. The club hasn't invented their own version of NFC - all the clever bits happen when you add the ticket to your wallet - all the NFC reader does is return "valid / not valid".

I can only see a downside if the club tries to do it unilaterally. Some people won't have suitable devices or have other difficulties in using NFC for whatever reason. In the last generation you could spot technophobes by the blinking clocks on their VCRs. I suspect in this generation it'll be the people that still think carrying bits of paper and plastic is good. But this part of the discussion is for elsewhere on the site.

You and I know that, but I imagine there's a lot of people at VP, especially the older folk, to whom the very concept of a 'wallet' on their phone is utterly alien. But like you say, a conversation for another time and place. 

• Like 3

Ok, so I turned up at my usual door today (one of the door Ps) where I've entered Villa Park for the last 12 years.

I open my rucksack, take my flask of tea out and show one of the 2 guys on the door inside my bag.

But they have no interest in searching me or my bag.

They are interested in my Villa beanie hat.

"Are you Villa?"

"yes" I said

"You can't come in here" the guy said, you need to go up there, pointing to the away end.

"Are you joking?" I said "this is Villa Park - the Villa stadium".

I look at the other guy in desperation who says I need to speak to a supervisor, pointing halfway up the street.

I said "s** this" and went past them and went in anyway.

After I'd told the usual guy on the turnstile what had happened - I wasn't allowed in because I was wearing a villa hat - one followed me in apologising.

I told a steward when I got inside who rolled their eyes and said it has all been outsourced to an external company.

• Haha 3

Ok - second rant.

The last 2 games, the pre-match music has gone back up to stupid levels.

So today I measured it with a decibel reader on my phone - 93 decibels.

I've just found this on the health and safety executive website.

"The level at which employers must provide hearing protection and hearing protection zones is 85 dB(A) (daily or weekly average exposure) and the level at which employers must assess the risk to workers' health and provide them with information and training is 80 dB(A). There is also an exposure limit value of 87 dB(A), taking account of any reduction in exposure provided by hearing protection, above which workers must not be exposed."

Edit: I've just sent a screenshot of the volume reading to the club's health and safety officer.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

Ok - second rant.

The last 2 games, the pre-match music has gone back up to stupid levels.

So today I measured it with a decibel reader on my phone - 93 decibels.

I've just found this on the health and safety executive website.

"The level at which employers must provide hearing protection and hearing protection zones is 85 dB(A) (daily or weekly average exposure) and the level at which employers must assess the risk to workers' health and provide them with information and training is 80 dB(A). There is also an exposure limit value of 87 dB(A), taking account of any reduction in exposure provided by hearing protection, above which workers must not be exposed."

Edit: I've just sent a screenshot of the volume reading to the club's health and safety officer.

Thank you. It's ridiculous how loud it is. I approved of the installation of a better PA system a few seasons back, but it should have been to improve the quality of the sound, not ramp it up to unbearable levels.

• Like 1

I was annoyed that they played the music when Emi got to show us his trophy, I felt they could have turned it off so we could have serenaded him instead. I'm sure the holte probably tried, but from where I was in the trinity all I could hear was the music

Edited by bcarpet
Typo

1 hour ago, bcarpet said:

I was annoyed that they played the music when Emi got to show us his trophy, I felt they could have turned it off so we could have serenaded him instead. I'm sure the holte probably tried, but from where I was in the trinity all I could hear was the music

That annoyed me too. I sit in the Holte and we were singing but it wouldn't have travelled far as the music was so damn loud 

The Health and Safety Officer got back to me today for a 2nd time which is pretty impressive considering I emailed her sunday evening.

She said:

I have met with the Media Technology Team today as they have now concluded their investigation into your concern.

For some recent games, the noise levels in your area may have been increased which will now be rectified by a reduction of 5dB(A).  You may however detect an intentional increase during the 15-minute period ahead of kick-off.

I would add however that based on the Noise at Work Regulations and HSE guidance, the noise levels within the Stadium on a matchday are within legal parameters for both AVFC staff and recommendations for audience levels.  This has also been confirmed following a noise assessment at the start of the season undertaken by an external consultant.

I don't know how much difference 5db will make but if it goes back down to how it was before the last few games and I can hear the person next to me that would be good.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella
  • Like 2

Â