Jack Butland

alreadyexists

8 hours ago, av1 said:

I thought you said height wasn't an issue? :trollface:

Joking aside, I agree. Steer isn't PL quality.

Rubbish. If that's true a lot of PL keepers aren't PL quality. Well actually I think likes of Begovic last season were absolute poo

Look at results when he came back. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jed-steer/leistungsdaten/spieler/110867

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rubbish. If that's true a lot of PL keepers aren't PL quality. Well actually I think likes of Begovic last season were absolute poo

Look at results when he came back. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jed-steer/leistungsdaten/spieler/110867

Numerous managers haven't even deemed him good enough to be a number 2. He has been 3rd choice throughout his whole villa career. He had a good 6 months behind possibly the best defence in the league (the total opposite of Nyland and Kallinic), that doesn't make him PL quality. 

If it did we wouldn't be seemingly desperate to sign another keeper when there is so much work needed to strengthen the squad. 

45 minutes ago, av1 said:

Numerous managers haven't even deemed him good enough to be a number 2.

Yet the manager who actually got us promotion back to the PL deemed him good enough ahead of multiple others. 

I think we should always look to improve what we have but Steer has shown what he can do, with room to progress further. Heaton is an upgrade for me but that isn't to say that Steer can't do a job in the PL.

Being omitted from the starting line up by managers who have failed here isn't something to use against him. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

Yet the manager who actually got us promotion back to the PL deemed him good enough ahead of multiple others. 

I think we should always look to improve what we have but Steer has shown what he can do, with room to progress further. Heaton is an upgrade for me but that isn't to say that Steer can't do a job in the PL.

Being omitted from the starting line up by managers who have failed here isn't something to use against him. 

Yet that manager who got us promoted is seemingly now keen to replace him aswell, 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Yet that manager who got us promoted is seemingly now keen to replace him aswell, 

Yes, because there's a chance to possibly upgrade on what we have. That doesn't therefore mean that Steer isn't able to hold his own at this level. There's a difference. Even under the other managers, when he's actually managed to get a game, he's looked fine. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

Until we actually sign someone you don't even know that. Honestly I regard 70-80% of transfer rumours as completely made up. One major signing that wasn't a loan signing made permanent was completely missed by everyone which is probably how we're going about our business. We may not actually be in for a keeper at all though I would like us to sign Butland

15 minutes ago, av1 said:

Is he? Or is he just creating a situation for competition to actually thrive? Maybe he thinks Steer is good enough, but doesn't think Nyland, or Kalinic are. We need competition for number one so Smith signing Heaton isn't proof that Steer is being replaced. 

To be fair, Steer is still a relatively unknown quantity. I know I've not seen enough of him myself, however yes he was impressive for us last season.

He could be good in the PL, or he could fail. Smith is seemingly not wanting to take any risk by going for an experienced PL option.

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Wonder if the Heaton link has been "leaked" to try and force Stoke's hand a bit on the Butland fee. They've already signed his replacement and maybe us "looking" elsewhere will help drive the price down.

Definitely goes on so wouldn’t surprise me ../ or it was Greg Evan’s parting gift of BS as he may get paid via clicks ? Certainly would of created a lot of traffic to the Brum Fail website ... Or  Maybe he is just bitter and wanted one last laugh .. who knows until ITSOTP .... 

• Like 1

Â