Jack Butland

alreadyexists

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Correct me if im wrong but I can’t actually remember Steer conceding a goal that can be deemed as a keeper error or one he should save?

There was one at Stoke when it went through him (close range shot though) and also think v Blackburn when he parried a shot back into six yard box and it was tapped in.

Overall though he played very well in the run in and I wouldn't be that unhappy if he starts season as number one. Only issue is if he struggles and makes errors and our back up is Nyland....

Can still understand if we get in a senior keeper who's played a year or three in premier league....wouldn't shock me if we go after Butland again the closer the season approaches or we go for keepers in 10-15m range like Etheridge or Heaton who imo are as good as Butland is. Or just loan in a keeper from abroad for a year which we actually did last summer of course....:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Correct me if im wrong but I can’t actually remember Steer conceding a goal that can be deemed as a keeper error or one he should save?

I think he was at fault for the Blackburn goal (Bell?!) parrying the free-kick straight back into a dangerous area - may have moved a bit in the air, but anyway that's been ultra critical. Overall he's been absolutely fine. I'd personally feel more confident with Butland between the sticks though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Overall though he played very well in the run in and I wouldn't be that unhappy if he starts season as number one. Only issue is if he struggles and makes errors and our back up is Nyland...

Big Lovre is still here for now!

Wouldn't be surprised if he started number 1.

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Give Steer a chance! I think he will surprise a few people. 

I was all for giving him the chance a ywar ago when I felt a safe pair of hands would be all we needed. But that was the Championship, and we were one of the dominant teams there. Now that we're in the Prem we need better in goal. I think goal needs to be a position of strength to us  not a (potential) weak spot. Kalinic won't do and God help us we don't need to resort to Nyland, not even once. I'm very grateful for Steer, he did well last season, but he would be an excellent back-up for me now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Big Lovre is still here for now!

Wouldn't be surprised if he started number 1.

Kalinic came with good reputation but have to say in his early games he didn't command six yard box at all which I was disappointed in for such a big keeper.

Steer is easily the best at the club for coming and catching crosses. You only need to look at injury time in the play off final to see how crucial that quality is to take pressure off the back 4.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Steer is easily the best at the club for coming and catching crosses. You only need to look at injury time in the play off final to see how crucial that quality is to take pressure off the back 4.

He did it well in the play off game, but other games before he hadn’t looked great on crosses. Missed a few. 

I still think we want another keeper, but Butland may be priced out of a move, at least until last few days of window when stoke may be more desperate to get money in

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Kalinic came with good reputation but have to say in his early games he didn't command six yard box at all which I was disappointed in for such a big keeper.

He did come with a rep, and yes he was poor and didn't live up to it.

Steer isn't better than him for me though. Not at coming for, or catching crosses. He looks panicked a lot under crosses and was often shaky at corners.

Those two catches at the end of the play-off final were wonderful though yes. Second one was celebrated like a goal around me. He didn't come charging out to claim them though, they were floated crosses into his six yard box he should have been catching.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If we were talking about replacing Nyland with Alisson then I would agree with you. We're talking about Steer and Butland. Steer is not a complete muppet, and while he's not the most gifted shot stopper in the world, he does pull out decent saves and I think he comes across as a stronger personality than Butland.

I would obviously see Butland as an upgrade, but you're suggesting Steer will cost us 2 goals a match, which can't be true. Football is a low scoring game, and most of a keeper's work is basic stuff. It's rare that a game is decided by a world class save. Clean sheets say more about the team than the keeper.

Edit: just to be clear, I still want us to sign a better keeper, and I think it will be important. I just think DM is such a glaring weakness at the moment that it needs sorting if we're to have any chance of surviving.

It's a great discussion and while we slightly differ on priority I hope and believe we'll get both i.e. key GK and key DM, whether they are Butland and Philips is down to so many factors, not just money.

• Thanks 1

Burnley see Pope as the long term Heaton replacement. Will probably be their number 1 this season. In my opinion he shouldn't have lost his place last season, but Heaton is captain so hard to argue him when fit. 

Just now, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Burnley see Pope as the long term Heaton replacement. Will probably be their number 1 this season. In my opinion he shouldn't have lost his place last season, but Heaton is captain so hard to argue him when fit. 

He was injured all last season. He never lost out to Heaton

53 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Not a bad shout Andy, but I think he’s just signed a new contract with Burnley. 

Why does it feel most players I mention who I would have liked us to go for suddenly get contract extensions at their clubs?!

Weird. :huh:

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

We desperately need a real number one keeper. With those three we might aswell forfeit the season.

Easy tiger.

We know we need to strengthen in the GK dept. but I think your reaction is pure hysteria.

Â