Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Adomah on the wing and Whelan in the middle, we’d be destroyed. It’s not like they are ripping up trees elsewhere. Which of our players released are now at premier league or high end championship clubs?

I think Ross McCormack be challenging Vardy and Aguero for the Golden Boot and United would be thinking Elphick is the perfect partner for Maguire. Dont forget Liverpool relief when they lost out on Werner to find out Scott Hogan was available 

• Haha 2

Over the last ten games Leicester's form has been one of the worst in the league. Still if they drop points tonight then there's a very good chance they will drop out of the top four tomorrow, and might not get back in, so they should be very motivated.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Over the last ten games Leicester's form has been one of the worst in the league. Still if they drop points tonight then there's a very good chance they will drop out of the top four tomorrow, and might not get back in, so they should be very motivated.

A Bournemouth win pisses all over my chips to be honest.

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

You simply don't know that! You can't make those sort of changes and expect things to turn out all peachy we are where we are through bad decisions like that.

I’ve seen some morons on Twitter saying we should have bought Smith’s first choice targets...

Phillips £30m

Benrahma £25m

Maupay £25m

So thats £80m on three complete gambles. Let’s say we also got Heaton for £10m, Mings for £22m and El Ghazi for £6.5m for continuity purposes.

Let’s also use the amazing hindsight that a 33-year-old, hardly played, often injured Gary Cahill would have been a good signing (and not another Lescott/Richards).

That’s £118.5m.

We would have a first team of:

- - - - - - - - - - Heaton - - - - - - - - -

Guilbert Mings Cahill Taylor

McGinn - - Phillips - - Grealish

El Ghazi - - Maupay - Benrahma

We would then have £12m to sort out cover for any injuries. Good luck with that. £1m a pop should cover it 😂

Or, we’d have had to keep some of last season’s players that could barely cut it in the Championship. Can you imagine having to rely on Jedinak (retired), Whelan (couldn’t cope with Scottish football), Chester (close to getting relegated with Stoke) it Kodjia (where’s he gone? India?). We would be on roughly the same amount of points as our last relegation.

Edited by Rob182
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I’ve seen some morons on Twitter saying we should have bought Smith’s first choice targets...

Phillips £30m

Benrahma £25m

Maupay £25m

So thats £80m on three complete gambles. Let’s say we also got Heaton for £10m, Mings for £22m and El Ghazi for £6.5m for continuity purposes.

Let’s also use the amazing hindsight that a 33-year-old, hardly played, often injured Gary Cahill would have been a good signing (and not another Lescott/Richards).

That’s £118.5m.

We would have a first team of:

- - - - - - - - - - Heaton - - - - - - - - -

Guilbert Mings Cahill Taylor

McGinn - - Phillips - - Grealish

El Ghazi - - Maupay - Benrahma

We would then have £12m to sort out cover for any injuries. Good luck with that. £1m a pop should cover it 😂

Or, we’d have had to keep some of last season’s players that could barely cut it in the Championship. Can you imagine having to rely on Jedinak (retired), Whelan (couldn’t cope with Scottish football), Chester (close to getting relegated with Stoke) it Kodjia (where’s he gone? India?). We would be on roughly the same amount of points as our last relegation.

We made the right moves. In the event that we're relegated, we have a ready-made squad for a championship promotion push while also leaving us in with a fighting chance of surviving. We've had our fair share of injuries (some major ones!) And yet we're still in this fight. 

• Like 2

I thought before the game today, it’s like a playoff. Actually more likely the one against Fulham. We had to win a tough two legs against Boro, with delaying the achievement until the hard deal with Fulham. Less likely against Leeds as we were in a better form, but still we would have a huge days before Leeds. Derby was a bit calm feeling.

We’ve celebrated winning at WBA, but knew the hard was coming. We’ve celebrated against Boro, but knew it’s hard to make it against Fulham.

Now it’s as if we made it to the playoffs. A win against Everton as if we won the first leg.

That’s how I feel these games. We’ve made it hard, but I very much prefer this scenario than us losing to Palace and Watford losing to Newcastle. We have some momentum. 

And I think we’re the only team to win all days of the week since the 80’s which happened with Spurs.

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The morons on twitter fail to realise that Kalvin Phillips didn't want to come to Villa.

I think the second word in that sentence might explain why they don't realise something.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We made the right moves. In the event that we're relegated, we have a ready-made squad for a championship promotion push while also leaving us in with a fighting chance of surviving. We've had our fair share of injuries (some major ones!) And yet we're still in this fight. 

Yep. If we’d gone down the ‘hindsighters’ route of bringing in some loans and free transfers, we could have a much bigger rebuild on our hands.

Just now, Rob182 said:

Yep. If we’d gone down the ‘hindsighters’ route of bringing in some loans and free transfers, we could have a much bigger rebuild on our hands.

Plus if you think about it we were unlucky that more of the gambles we made didn't turn out to be good enough at this level. They still might but even Luiz has only shown decent enough form recently. They have all been hit and miss at best. Just in terms of sheer numbers bought you'd have expected one or two to have turned out better already.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I agree with both points. The accusations of doing a Fulham miss the point, this was a pragmatic transfer policy under the circumstances which factored in investment for league survival and relegation with the desire to aim for automatic promotion the following season. 

I have many criticisms of Smith and individuals but had we gone up under Bruce we’d have been destroyed in worse ways. 

The squad will have another 2-3 rebuilds of various sizes both in terms of youth and the first team. 

We’ve had some awful luck with injuries with officials and injuries. This team can beat Everton again. Who’s to say?! If we go down it’s because we weren’t good enough when it mattered. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1