Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Meanwhile Sheffield United thrash Chelsea.

How depressing.

Ah well they don't have Suso.

They don't have Purslow...

But most importantly they have a manager with a system and players who have been together in the main since League 1. If you want a blueprint for how it's done, here it is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

But most importantly they have a manager with a system and players who have been together in the main since League 1. If you want a blueprint for how it's done, here it is.

They haven't given him time just for the sake of it. There's been constant progression. Every season.

• Like 2

Teams who come up and do well are the ones who've been able to build a team and develop a style in the lower leagues before getting promoted, Swansea, Norwich and Southampton did it, Sheffield United have done it, and Wolves did it as well. We didn't really have that opportunity with the new owners because of when the takeover happened and then getting promoted denied us that opportunity.

Again going back to the Wolves example they were also taken over late in the summer, their owners didn't get them promoted in the first season and in a strange way that was probably a blessing in disguise because it allowed them a full summer to sort out their mess of a squad and build a decent team and develop a style of play that would stand them in good stead upon promotion.

Equally if we get it right in the summer and sign the right players and have the right manager, whoever it might be, coaching them, then this relegation could end up being a blessing in disgusie for us.

• Like 4

On 10/07/2020 at 19:39, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think we'd be safe if we beat them two, unlikely though based on our form the worst in the league!

Nah, West Ham and Watford will play out a nothing 0-0 and be safe on 35, we won't beat Palace and Everton and Bournemouth have Leicester, City, Southampton and Everton. Even winning those two would mea we'd have to beat West Ham if they were on 35 points to be safe. Would set the last game up as a winner takes all but we won't be safe by getting 6 more points...

35 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Totally, keeping Smith in the Championship would start to give us some consistency ourselves....

• Like 1

It’s so depressing, I actually only accepted relegation after Man Utd game. Now it’s eveb more worse.

Will we win against Palace? If we do the would have we done that if Watford lost? Will it make us play a bit freely? 
If we win, will it give us a boost going into Everton game? 
There are glimpses of hope, but I’m really depressed. The way Watford won their two games without even being good, but the fight to cone back from losing position showed strong character. West Ham showed their quality in the worst time. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Consistency for the sake of it isn't a good idea!

But who should we get? Do we have time for a new manager? 
This time we need to build on what we have. I don’t think there are a lot of available managers that would accept to come to the championship. If there are, will be the likes of Smith actually.

5 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

But who should we get? Do we have time for a new manager? 
This time we need to build on what we have. I don’t think there are a lot of available managers that would accept to come to the championship. If there are, will be the likes of Smith actually.

Then lets carry on as we are then?

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Then lets carry on as we are then?

To be honest I’m not sure. I think Smith would be fine down there, he’ll have more time and experience with the team. 
Are there another choices? Im sure there are, but I’m not sure we’ll get it right. 

5 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

To be honest I’m not sure. I think Smith would be fine down there, he’ll have more time and experience with the team. 
Are there another choices? Im sure there are, but I’m not sure we’ll get it right. 

Whilst I agree Smith would be OK down there he's proven he's not good enough up here. We aren't a big enough pull to headhunt a new manager it would be a case of sack Smith and see who applies for the role.

11 hours ago, romavillan said:

Totally, keeping Smith in the Championship would start to give us some consistency ourselves....

Yeah. Would give us bad consistency.

Remember when Newcastle gave Pardew an 8 year contract? Consistency worked out so amazing for them.

We need a Nuno type manager.. someone who obviously is a class above the championship, who has a set style of play and instills this and can do very well at PL level. Looks like Sheff Utd have this in Wilder now too. Smith is OK at championship level but has failed miserably in the prem. Easier said than done of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Whilst I agree Smith would be OK down there he's proven he's not good enough up here. We aren't a big enough pull to headhunt a new manager it would be a case of sack Smith and see who applies for the role.

Did Dyche prove he’s not good enough up here when he got Burnley relegated? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Football fans lately seem to think that everything is black and white.

19 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Did Dyche prove he’s not good enough up here when he got Burnley relegated? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Football fans lately seem to think that everything is black and white.

And what did Dyche get to spend in the relegation season?

The comparisons are stupid.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And what did Dyche get to spend in the relegation season?

The comparisons are stupid.

Look at what Smith started with in June:

Strikers :Davis, Kodija

Midfielders : Mcginn/Hourihane/Grealish

Defenders :Taylor Hause Guilbert, Elmohamady

Keeper : Steer, Nyland, Kalinic

You can't have Mings and El Ghazi if you are giving him stick for the money he spent in the summer as they are included in that outlay.

By the way that's in June - so we had a small window to build and coach up a premiership squad. 

What he started off with is mid-table championship stuff - if you don't believe it, imagine what taking Abraham, Mings and Tuanzebe would have done to us last season. The money was spent awfully that's on Smith and Suso but the amount has to be viewed in the context of what we started off with.

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

Look at what Smith started with in June:

Strikers :Davis, Kodija

Midfielders : Mcginn/Hourihane/Grealish

Defenders :Taylor Hause Guilbert, Elmohamady

Keeper : Steer, Nyland, Kalinic

You can't have Mings and El Ghazi if you are giving him stick for the money he spent in the summer as they are included in that outlay.

By the way that's in June - so we had a small window to build and coach up a premiership squad. 

What he started off with is mid-table championship stuff - if you don't believe it, imagine what taking Abraham, Mings and Tuanzebe would have done to us last season. The money was spent awfully that's on Smith and Suso but the amount has to be viewed in the context of what we started off with.

Dyche build Burnley what is today from rags.

Smith got dealt the same hand at Brentford and finished around 9th in the Championship.

They aren't on the same level. Nowhere close. Smith is an ok Championship manager but he will never get you automatic promotion.

7 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

The more time he spends with this team, the worse we get. There is a losing mentality at the moment, how is he going to change that in a short space of time? 

Next season will be much like this one if we stick with Smith. A clean sweep is required, keeping him for the sake of it will be a very bad move and will waste a season in the Championship.